Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to say thanks in advance and that this forum and everyone in it rules!

I know there have been plenty of posts about the ABS system on the tc and the tire pressure light, but I have searched the forums and I haven't found any posts describing a problem like mine. The problem is that when I drive my tc at or over 80mph the ABS and tire pressure warning lights come on simultaneously. To tell the truth I'm not even sure if it is a problem, because above 80mph the tc will still drive straight and it wont shudder (as long as the road is smooth and flat). The tc brakes fine too. I've done some hard (but not too hard) stops while those lights were on, and the tc stopped w/o any fuss or nasty noises. IMO it handles and performs fine.

The thing is that my 2005 tc is a salvage title, meaning that it was wrecked once before and that the insurance company decided that it would be cheaper to write the previous owner a check for the value of the car than to try and fix it (is a real simple way of putting it). I wish I had an owner’s manual to look at and read, all I have is that 153mb interactive users guide that I dl from the scion website (better than nothing).

I did reset the tire pressure by pressing the button in the glove box, as described in the user guide (it blinked 3 times). The first 2 times that I did it the lights came back on within 15mins of resetting the tire pressure (I had just entered the freeway). The 3rd time I did it I made sure to drive for a little over an hour (1/2 freeway, ½ thru town) w/o passing 75mph, then I stopped the car and shut it off for about 5 minutes. When I started it up again I drove normally thru town, got on the freeway, accelerated to 80mph, and then the lights came back on.

It’s more of an annoyance than it is a problem really. I swear the tire pressure light blinks faster and faster as I accelerate faster and faster (well, until I hit 125 or so; then it just keeps blinking like a strobe light. The ABS light remains solid throughout). The lights remain on for a while, even after slowing down to complete stops. Is the ABS sensor bad, dirty, or what? I don’t think (of course I could be wrong and that’s why I’m asking for help) it’s the tire pressure, because although I’m using a crappy tire-pressure gauge it has continually given me the same pressure readout for all 4 tires (32psi all around). I know that as the tires speed up they get hotter and that they expand, but since all 4 tires have the same pressure I don’t think expansion should be a problem. Well, I hope not. I’m not really that aggressive a driver, but driving 80mph is pretty normal in SoCal and I don’t wan to worry about my tires popping or my brake pedal hitting the floor because the ABS isn’t working.

So if anyone can offer some advice, help, or insight then it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I’m a newbie, but any constructive criticism will be taken as a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm definitely no expert, but I'm bored at work and I thought I'd chime in. I'm pretty sure the tire pressure warning system doesn't actually monitor the tire pressure... it monitors wheel speed. If one wheel starts spinning significantly different from the other wheels, it throws the warning light on. I'm not sure what the ABS warning light could mean.

If I took a wild guess, I'd say you had something screwy with a wheel or rotor or something. Don't take my word for it though... Lance or someone with similar knowledge could probably tell you exactly what the problem is, or at least where to start looking.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I wouldn't take any chances -- I'd take it to the dealership, even if that means you might have to pay them to diagnose it.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
590 Posts
i have had a very similar issue. both times it happened to me i was sitting still. both lights cam, abs solid and tire pressure light was blinking. after i shut the car off and back on the lights turned off. it has done this to me twice but hasn't again in a very long time. also, my tire pressure is ok.

i seem to remember that when my tire pressure light cams on for actual tire pressure issues that it cam on solid. and it would only go off after i reset it. this time the light flashs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So am I left with no choice but to take it to the dealer then? I mean a diagnostics alone will be about what, $60 or so? Are they able to test the car at speeds over 80mph? Because the problem isn’t random it is consistent; always at 80mph they both come on within 5 seconds.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
There's a problem with one of your wheel speed sensors. The ABS and the tire pressure system both use all four of the wheel speed sensors. If one of them stops sending a signal, your ABS and the tire pressure systems will show faults.

With a salvage title, it's anyone's guess exactly what is wrong. It could be a damaged connector or it could be a damaged wire, or it could be someone cheaped out the repair and used splices on the wheel speed sensor wire so they wouldn't need to buy a new one. That's pretty common on salvage vehicles that are "restored" which is why they are a questionable bargain. You can spend a LOT of money troubleshooting problems that are a result of a poor repair or someone deciding for you that the broken piece doesn't really need to be replaced.

Good luck. I would buy (or download) the service manual from Toyota/Scion and go through the troubleshooting procedures for the ABS. Usually there are codes the ABS computer will display to tell you which sensor failed, then you have the unenviable task of finding out exactly why. And, since it is a repaired car, replacing the sensor might very well NOT fix the problem.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I have a feeling my car will be sold with a salvage title if Ben doesn't buy out the engine and other people who'll start piecing out my bunny...

I could've driven the car off the wreckyard (er minus all the paperwork) if I hadn't been doubleparked and if my front passenger tire hadn't been popped. ... and maybe if I had both sidemirrors

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, seeing as how buying the service manuals will run north of $300.00 and that the scion tc is a fairly new car, I guess it would be a safe assumption to believe that my tc wasn't completely "restored" and that the guy I bought it from could've just done a cheap repair as lo bux said. Man that burns me up
, because the car runs so well. No squeaks over bumpy roads, solid chassis, and the engine runs strong and smooth. I don't even get that crazy noise that everyone talks about when braking, but on 2nd thought it's probably because the ABS doesn't work (damn
). Before I purchased the tc I was mainly checking for mechanical problems in the engine and suspension; also, if the body and wheels were crooked. I guess I should've been more thorough. I'm gonna have to buy those service manuals, because since the car was a salvage it looks like I'm gonna be needing them.

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) CHART
NOTICE:
When removing parts, turn the ignition switch OFF.
HINT:
• Using SST 09843-18040, connect terminals TC and CG of
the DLC3.
• If any abnormality is not found when inspecting parts,
inspect the ECU and ground points for poor contact.
• If a trouble code is displayed during the DTC check, check
the circuit listed for that code. For details of each code,
turn to the page referred to under the "See page" for
respective "DTC No." in the DTC chart.
• When 2 or more DTCs are recorded and the problem is
not identified, perform circuit inspection of the other DTCs.
DTC chart of ABS

(DTC No.
Detection Item Trouble Area
See page in the repair manual)

C0200/31
Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor
Signal Malfunction
- Right front speed sensor
- Right front speed sensor circuit
- Right front speed sensor rotor
- Sensor installation

C0205/32
Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor
Signal Malfunction
- Left front speed sensor
- Left front speed sensor circuit
- Left front speed sensor rotor
- Sensor installation
BC-21

C0210/33
Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
Signal Malfunction
- Right rear speed sensor
- Right rear speed sensor circuit
- Right rear speed sensor rotor
- Sensor installation
BC-27

C0215/34
Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
Signal Malfunction
- Left rear speed sensor
- Left rear speed sensor circuit
- Left rear speed sensor rotor
- Sensor installation
BC-27

C0226/21
SFR Solenoid Circuit - Brake actuator assembly
- SFRR or SFRH circuit
BC-33

C0236/22 SFL
Solenoid Circuit - Brake actuator assembly
- SFLR or SFLH circuit
BC-33

C0246/23
SRR Solenoid Circuit - Brake actuator assembly
- SRRR or SRRH circuit
BC-33

C0256/24
SRL Solenoid Circuit - Brake actuator assembly
- SFLR or SRLH circuit
BC-33

C0273/13
Open or Short Circuit in ABS
Motor Relay Circuit
- ABS motor relay
- ABS motor relay circuit
- Brake actuator assembly
BC-36

C0274/14
Short to B+ in ABS Motor Relay
Circuit
- ABS motor relay
BC-36

C0278/11
Open or Short Circuit in ABS
Solenoid Relay Circuit
- ABS motor relay
BC-41

C0279/12
Short to B+ in ABS Solenoid
Relay Circuit
- ABS motor relay
BC-41

C1235/35
Foreign Object is Attached on Tip
of Front Speed Sensor RH
- Right front speed sensor
- Right front speed sensor rotor
BC-21

C1236/36
of Front Speed Sensor LH
- Left front speed sensor
- Left front speed sensor rotor
BC-21

C1238/38
of Rear Speed Sensor RH
- Right rear speed sensor
- Right rear speed sensor rotor
BC-27

C1239/39
of Rear Speed Sensor LH
- Left rear speed sensor
- Left rear speed sensor rotor
BC-27
C1241/41 Low Battery Positive Voltage - Battery
- Charging system
- Power source circuit
BC-45

C1249/49
Open in Stop Light Switch Circuit - Stop light switch
- Stop light switch circuit
BC-48

C1251/51
Open in Pump Motor Circuit - ABS pump motor
BC-52

the cost at the dealership will vary but, they will probably charge you for an hours worth of service to let you know what the problem is. IMO, get this delt with ASAP, you don't want to mess with something like the breaking system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.