Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my B&M shortshifter, and had some questions:
  • It came with metal bushings or "spacers." What's the advantage to those?
  • Can the shifter be installed with the stock rubber bushings? (I probably won't, but just wondering)
  • Should I worry about any of the interior parts breaking while I'm popping out the console, or do the pieces unclip fairly easily?
That's it for now. I'll probably have more when I begin the install

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well...I just got done with my first failed attempt at installing the B&M shifter. Here's where I'm stuck; it says to turn the shift cables 360 degrees to free them from the base. I cannot get that to actually work, and the instructions/pictures are a little less than helpful.

Maybe someone has the answer to this question?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
yeah man you just have to keep turning them, your fingers will indeed get raw but you can manage to do it...it took me a good 15 tries to get them to turn 360 degrees but it does work trust me

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exactly do I turn though, the black parts, or the actual metal rod? (Pardon my technical terms
) And do I have to turn them in a certain direction, or is either supposed to work?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the black part its going to be a round thing at the end of the rod pointing towards the engine bay...they are black and round just start turning things and they will start to move (sometimes they are a little stout) but once you start turning them turn with one hand and hold it in position with the other hand....it will take a minute to get used to but once you start they should come off easy

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot! I'll give that a try. Oh and how do you like yours??

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I love mine its awesome...the shifts are a little different in terms of shifting from gear to gear but its awesome keeps it at almost stock height while reducing the throw quite a considerable amount...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by Pharoh@Nov 30 2005, 12:54 PM
Well...I just got done with my first failed attempt at installing the B&M shifter. Here's where I'm stuck; it says to turn the shift cables 360 degrees to free them from the base. I cannot get that to actually work, and the instructions/pictures are a little less than helpful.

Maybe someone has the answer to this question?
you actually only have to turn them 180 degrees. look at this.

the lock nuts are easy do get off, all i used was a small flat head screwdriver (to help with turning the lock nuts b/c my hands were raw from trying to get that damn lock washer on the pin off)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
^^^ you are right acutally sorry pharoh my bad yea you should only have to turn them 180 degrees I just used a dremel to get that lock washer off I just cut it off

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol, Yet another reason why the B&M Instructions suck
. I called it a night last night and went and studied for finals, but I'm either gonna finish it today or tmrw. Until then, I'm probably just gonna be driving with half my interior missing.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
yeah no matter which shifter you get you will have to remove the shifter cables...you know come to think of it you don't have to remove them at all..you can just do it with it bolted down

Yeah pharoh just do it with it bolted down you could do that cause there is not real need to take them off I don't think now that I am looking at my instructions I am not sure why they have you take it off maybe for easier access but you could do it without removing the cables for sure

·
Registered
421 Posts
yeah. i got so pissed at it. i decided to do everything right there in the car. the part im having trouble with is taking out the damn black washer thats keeping me from taknig out the lever itself.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by mrbrace@Dec 1 2005, 05:10 PM
yeah no matter which shifter you get you will have to remove the shifter cables...you know come to think of it you don't have to remove them at all..you can just do it with it bolted down

Yeah pharoh just do it with it bolted down you could do that cause there is not real need to take them off I don't think now that I am looking at my instructions I am not sure why they have you take it off maybe for easier access but you could do it without removing the cables for sure
Hmm...what about putting in those metal bushings or spacers or whatever they call them? Wouldn't I need to unbolt it to put in the new washers and spacers?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm gonna have to take it off anyway though cuz I kinda...uhh..dropped one of those 2 shifter clip in that hole under the assembly and now I gotta fish it out.

Oh yeah, and I drove to school today without either of the clips and with half my interior missing. Just threw the knob onto the bare metal and drove it...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah those two clips...don't have them on mine I broke them off and they were unsaveable and I have had to problems whatsoever...those spacers that you are talking about I know what you are talking about (repetative)

Anyhow those spacers you don't need at least I did not use them

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
What would u guys recommend? TWM or B&M????

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the shifter's finally in! I love the feel. It's a little shorter than stock height, but the throws are MUCH shorter, and although it takes a little more effort to get it into gear, I was used to it by my 3rd shift. My tips: Get someone to help, because it doesn't hurt to have an extra pair of hands. Second, don't rely on the manual, because it sucks! Third, have a lot of patience. I had problems getting the pushnut off, but after using a small nail and a hammer to make a dent, it was fine from there. I also had trouble getting the ring on the pivot ball off, but again, with some patience, it was fine. Aside from that, it went fairly well.

Oh yeah, and did anyone else have two black metal clips holding down the ring on the pivot ball? I find it kinda weird that none of the install manuals I've seen mention it at all. Maybe it's a dealership thing?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.