Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just the other day i was looking at some exhausts and there were axle back and cat-backs. I know that a cat is but what the hell is and axle back. And will you get better performance from a cat or and axle-back.

·
Registered
843 Posts
An axle back exhaust just attaches in the vicinity of the rear axle and goes to the rear of the car. It's not better, just different, and it usually gives you a bit less HP. There are probably better answers in some previous threads and I know someone here can probalby give you a better answer.

Ken

·
Registered
542 Posts
axel back is basically just replacing the muffler, where cat back replaces the whole exhaust from the cat with high flow piping. axel back is to get the noise you want, cat back is if you want a few hp to go with it

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It would be cheaper to go with a cat-back right from the start. That way your piping stays consistent and you get a system that was meant to make optimum power right from the start. Most axle-back systems are designed to give you a different sound. They typically do not make more than 1-2 horsepower whereas a catback is designed for power and can make anywhere from 5-15 whp.

Here's a nice catback setup:

http://www.racingsolution.com/products/Sci...ICatbackExhaust

·
Registered
51 Posts
id take the greddy exhaust

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Oh, well I heard that it would not matter if it was a, "cat back," or, "axle back," because the cat is so close to the axle; and the spacing is maybe a foot or two longer; the pipe would only be thatmuch longer. Still I don't know if that matters any... Does it? I did a search. My question wasn't answered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A cat back system starts where the header or flex pipe ends. There is almost 6 feet of difference in length. Most of the cat back systems for the tC eliminate or replace the second cat with a high flow cat or a race pipe. The race pipe, a.k.a. cat delete pipe, is more for track use but if you live in a place where you don't have emissions checks you might be able to run wide open al the time.

I really like Draxas. I had their 2.5 in system with race pipe on my 04 Mazda 3 and it had a really deep Euro sound to it. i am going to get theirs for my tC as soon as i save up the money. Their top kit bends the check book at $725 but it includes the all important hi flow S pipe. They have a kit with out the S pipe for about $200 less. At $525 for a complete system, thats almost how much some of these Axle back systems are running.

So get the best of both worlds and get the cat back.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
phixeus.... could u give me a link to where i could check out some statistics on that exhaust

from what u r makin it sound its an amazing kit.... just let me know

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I went to their site.... looks like they have a nice exhaust system but does that take out ur catalystic converter and will my car still be under warranty?

·
Registered
25 Posts
well 2 things, your exhaust is not covered under any warranty, unless for some reason it just falls appart.

with the craxas kit, you may beable to pass emissions test because they still have a cat in their replacement system and the first cat in/behind the header is still there. i think if you leave the header alone you will be fine for test. i did not have a problem with me 3 and i have the cat delet pipe on it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.