Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well we all know the stock potenzas suck, so i was looking at other tires and i decided to go with the Avon's. I know that the stock tire size is 215/45WR17, but i want a little bit thicker of a tire to fill in the obnoxious wheel gap. My question to you guys is, can i get the Avon 215/50WR17 tires to help fill it in, or will the tires not function or fit properly. (im runnin on the stock rims)

·
Registered
498 Posts
just get drop springs like me:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
answer is yes, but! a higher aspect ratio tire will handle worse then a low profile tire...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The only way you can fill the wheel gap is to get lowering springs or aftermarket coilovers. Getting a larger tire will screw up your speedometer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc1990@Jan 26 2006, 08:44 PM
Wow thanks this has helped a lot.

One last question.

If i get new 17 inch rims but they are wider, and i get a, a 225 or 235 width tire (assuming it is 45WR17), with that mess up my spedometer?
You have to consider the aspect ratio in consideration with the width. You'll be fine with a 225/45R17 on 17x7 - 17x7.5, and a 235/40R17 or 245/40R17 on 17x8 - 17x8.5. That will keep your speed as close to stock as possible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I am sort of turning away from the topic, but i have a question about the offset. I know that the larger the offset = more tucked in the wheel is. So if i'm running on the stock springs and got new 17x7 rims what is the smallest offset I could get so that my wheels look look flush with the fender?

My point I am trying to get at here is that the stock wheels are tucked in under the fender so much that it looks funny to me, i want me wheels to look even with the body of the car.

Thanks for all of the help so far

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.