Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 07 TC today and have had a blast driving it around the block. However, so far I haven't been able to get the aux function to work. I have the headphone jack and have plugged it into my ipod/aux input, but when I hit the AUX button on the deck, nothing happens at all - it remains on whatever mode it was already on. I know the cable works because I use it every night to hook up my ipod to my small stereo in my room, and have never had a problem at all.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? I've already tried searching and I haven't seen anyone that's had a similar issue, and I'm hoping it's something simple that I simply overlooked....

Any help is very much appreciatd.

·
LED Maniac
2,967 Posts
hmmm.. first, see if your steering controls work.. if they don't.. then the idiots at the dealership forgot to plug in a plug..

if steering wheel controls work.... then i'm not sure what the issue can be...

there's another plug in between the headunit and the aux jack.. but it shouldn't be disconnected... there'd be no reason to disconnect it during the PDI.. (pre-delivery inspection)

other than that... the only thing about it is.. yeah.. the jack needs to be plugged in before the HU will go into AUX mode... but you said it can't even after you plug it in...

so.. well... i guess check the radio controls first... or try another cable if you have one.. good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the response.

The steering controls work fine. I guess the only other option is to try another cable, in which case I'll have to go pick one up in the morning. If nothing else works, I'll just have my dealer check it out in a few days when I go back to pick up the plates 'n stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I checked it out a little more...

It turns out the cigarette lighter (inside the armrest that accompanies the aux jack) is not getting any power either. I tried plugging in an iPod charger and it didn't turn on (while it functioned fine when plugged into the main cigarette lighter). So I'm guessing the same is the case with the aux jack, that it simply isn't "plugged in" so to speak. Again however, the steering wheel controls are working fine, and this is on an '07 model.

Just wondering if there's anything I can do at home without much trouble to resolve the problem, or if I should just test my own patience and wait the few weeks to have my dealer try to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also checked the fuses, everything appeared to be okay.

Something to note is I did have the short shifter installed by the dealer...so maybe that connection between the deck and the aux wasn't reconnected? How hard would that be to do at home, and what steps would I take?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Pull up the panel around the shifter, then pull up on the panel with cupholders. It should pop off and you'll have access to the center console to check the connections.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yup the dealer didn't connect your stuff back the way it should be. How do these people keep their jobs? I've heard more and more toyota mechanics that don't have a clue with what they're doing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
May be a PITA, but take it back, have them do it. the only way QC at the dealorships will get better is when the managment gets pissed about giving away free labor... to redo jobs that, if the directions were followed, would have been done right.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This might go without saying, but did you hit the "aux" button before or after you plugged your ipod in? i know if nothing is plugged into the jack, it won't switch to auxiliary input. If that's not the case, definitely bring it back and have them fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I finally popped everything off, and sure enough there were two wires that were obviously NOT plugged in. Plugged them together again and tried it out, and voila - everything worked fine.

I saw a DIY to change the shifter, but I was tugging on the wrong part which is why I couldn't get it off. Tried pulling on the silver area and it came off much easier.

·
LED Maniac
2,967 Posts
well... lol.. oops...

didn't see all the replies.. and a little late... but yeah...

you found the issue i was gonna mention... good job guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aux input '07/T1809 deck

Aux would not work or show up as an input for two reasons:
#1 The source (iPod/MP3) has to be connected to a power supply. This doesn't seem normal, so maybe the Aux connector module is defective, however Toyota couldn't source the proper part to test this.

#2 3.5mm plugs vary slightly in tolerance regarding size. I found a bulkier one from Extron that made the connection every time.

So with a quality cable and the Aux source connected to a power supply, the Aux input appeared and played content.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aux input '07/T1809 deck

The aux input would not appear or play content.
Using a quality (slightly larger) 3.5mm plug and charging my MP3 while connected to the aux input - solved the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bad connection issues with this.

I have taken the whole center area apart before, maybe a year ago to clean everything out. i did disconnect the plugs and plugged it all back in. so first thing tonight i'll do it again to check it.

Here's the deal:
so i've used maybe 3 different cords for my aux for the last like 2 years, and never had a problem til a couple months ago, driving along and in aux mode. suddenly aux turns off. i reach in the center console, cord is in twist a little and hit aux, boom works again. then down hill, went through all the aux cords again, all same deal, has to be plugged in and rotated just right to get it going. PITA...
so its not my Aux cable, because all of these cables work fine on 2 other cars and a couple home radios...

my question is, do these ports wear out after a lot of use? Ill be checking to night to make sure all connections are solid under the plastic. if it is then that tells me its time to get a new female TRS... Thoughts???:confused:

well i dismantled the whole thing last night and noticed my 12v plug was disconnected (the one in the armrest) so i plugged it back in...
i then disconnected and dissasembed the aux plug. took the wire out blew it out, took the connector itself out of the center console, took it all the way apart and blew it out. put it all back together and it seems like its much better. It is not perfect but i definately notice a difference. so onto the next issue.

now that i plugged my 12v plug back in, its not working at all. the 12v plug under the stereo works just fine, and i recently changed the fuse on it, is there a separate fuse for the one in the center console?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ivie: Check the connections coming from the radio, then check the connections under the cupholders (as mentioned earlier), then check the ports back/front side. And YES, the TRS can fail internally do to extreme use (more than 50x inserts/removals a day) or to just enough force when inserting the cable into the jack...I've damaged phones on accident and broke the mic pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
have a 2006 TC. all of a sudden my aux stopped working. this does not show up on any schematic at the dealership. I wnt ther because as i was checking the fuses, my passenger window will no longer come up.
the dealer put it up for me and said i need a new regulator and motor, they want over $700bucks! and my AUX is still out , they do not know why, unless I "leave it with them"! a-holes! but it is weird how the parts guy could not tell me if this is a fused circuit or not and where it gets the power from. i will try the take the console apart approach, see if that does it. e-bay has motors and regs for under $299. toyota loves to price gouge!

my real question is , what do I need to know to remove the parts to access the aux plugs? and, can't be wear, never take the plug out on the AUX end, only the phone end really appreciate it folks , thanks! this is my first ever post here!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went to check my steering wheel controls, they are working, so decided to turn the plug around. put the part in the phone I was using and now plugged in the bayonet that was in the console and used another phone to check it. it is the wire ! so, back to radio shack!
As turns out, that means, the day i lost the AUX and started checking the fuses, the window decided to break at the exact moment I was touching the fuse panel. i hate coincidences. i was sure that maybe a fuse in the window circuit went bad, but guess not! HATE not being able to put the pass window down ! I miss the old days with window cranks!

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can find schematics onlice of the whole car for free as pdf files...I have them myself and it makes custom installs so much easier, they require patience but are completely worth it! Google for "scion tc wiring schematic scionlife" and you should find the pdf files there or on here possibly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pull up the panel around the shifter, then pull up on the panel with cupholders. It should pop off and you'll have access to the center console to check the connections.
do you know what a good console is supposed to look like ? i’m having this same problem but everything seems fo be connected, but i also don’t know what i’m missing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts