Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the car thing, don't know much about them besides driving to point A to point B, but I was wondering if you could modify an automatic tC to become a Manual? thanks to anyone who can answer the question.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes, but it isn't cost effective. With the current resale value of tC's you'd be way ahead to just sell the auto and buy the manual new (not used).

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
For a shop to do this, expect to pay $4k-5k... Better off trading.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You definantly don't want to replace the auto to get a manyal tranny you need engine stuff, interior stuff... you might make some money with the resale valuse of the tC and the 1000 dollar price difference on the sticker price Autrovs. Manual

·
Registered
868 Posts
Okay guys, serious question time. My really good friend has an 05 tC automatic. He was retarded, and wen't from an 04 xA right to an 05 tC and moved about 5 thousand dollars of negative equity to the tC, which made him finance a little over $26,000 for six years to drive his car. He's since realized his stupidity, and has tried many times at numerous dealers to buy a cheaper car (like an aveo/rio/accent) and move the now $8000 negative equity into a new car loan. But, no bank will do this b/c that's asking for a loan that's way more than what the car he want's to buy is worth.

Okay, so here is my real question. Since he's come to the conclusion that he's stuck with this car for the rest of eternity, and he really REALLY regrets buying a tC with the wrong transmission, (he claims he didn't know how to drive a manual at the time he purchashed it [neither did i, but i have a 5-speed
]), he's wondering about the cost of a realistic transmission swap. Going from an auto to a manual in the tC. Since that really is his last ditch choice at the moment. And trust me, there is no other way to get him out of this car, and into something cheaper. And if you're wondering why, it's b/c the KBB is stating his car is worth $16,000 max for private party, and he owes $24,800 to date. Yeah, he's kinda screwed. But he's really hoping that he can switch tranny's so he'll at least enjoy driving his car more. Does anyone have a realistic idea of what this would cost, and if toyota would do the work?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Buy a wrecked manual for about $3k or $4k, take the parts you need - wiring harness, transmission, ECM, shifter assembly, interior bits, maybe axles, etc. complete the "swap" and part out the remaining bits. If he's lucky he'll break even.

We used to get this question all the time with Supras. Too many autos and not enough 6 speeds. You would not believe how many pieces are different. Almost as bad as converting NA to turbo.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Here's a funny question though. What if he was having transmission problems after he switches, do you think Toyota would notice it was the wrong transmission? Or do you think they'd just go ahead and fix it? Just a hypothetical question.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Maybe he shouldn't be thinking about spending thousands more until he pays down that $25,000 a bit more...

·
Registered
868 Posts
I know. I've told him to get his balance paid down. Given his current position where he works, overtime is up for grabs, but he hates doing it. He claims it's not worth it. *shrug*. I would if I owed ANYONE that much money. But again, I was just looking out for him, seeing if what he wanted to do was possible. I told him to be happy with what he has and just pay down his loan asap.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yep, it's pretty foolish to mod any car that is financially upside down. You'd be way ahead of the game to take the mod money and pay down the loan, not dump it into the car where you get pennies on the dollar if you are forced to sell.

·
Registered
868 Posts
He's my financialy unstable friend. He's a great guy, just not to good with the numbers. Hell, I just refinanced and I still owe $10,000. It's nice to have equity, but I'd rather pay off my car in full before I really start modding it out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
when i worked at high performance imports, we used to do auto to manual swaps all the time. most of the time you need the axles, tranny, shift linkage, interior console, tach, and ECU. the auto ecu CAN be used, BUT you cant take it to redline, AND the reverse lights dont work, AND you cant start the car in neutral. we charged $1500 for the swap+parts which cost about $3500. i dont care what you drive and its your only choice, i wouldnt do it. i would plant the car over a ridge, collect insurance, and get a manual before i do a swap.
we used to laugh at the guys who would bring their celicas or hondas in and want a tranny swap. we were more than happy to do it (cause it fed my daughter) but it was the MOST retarded mod they could do. not only cause what i stated above, but because you can get a motor/tranny full swap for about $3000-$4000, and it would only cost about $800 to install. so not only did you get a different motor (most of the time with mroe HP), but you would get the manual tranny as well.

like lance said, sell it and get a manual, and if you THAT far in debt with the car, i wouldnt even get a intake till i get the equity lower, or find a sucker to buy it for $23000 "cause the supply vs demand is low" lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.