Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an automatic tC and i was wondering if it would hurt the car in any way to install mods on the car. i was thinking of putting a turbo, CAI, header, and exhaust on the car, but i dont want it to deminish. also, will there be any gains at the car at all? i wouldve gotten a manual, but this is my first enw car, so i thought automatic would be better. any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I wouldn't suggest a turbo because it may start slipping even after a month. I know the supercharger won't have as much gains as the turbo but it definitely won't 'kill' the car as quick.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Well the 2nd gen. GS-T were notorious for a 'defective' turbo engine. Two of my friends recently had their turbo rebuilt and have had many problems even after it was rebuilt. Well, what I've heard is that a turbo will decrease the lifespan of your engine dramatically. Maybe...Lance can give some input? I know he has a TT Supra but I don't know if he's had any problems with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by HaTeOnThYs05@Jun 6 2005, 06:22 PM
either, i just want to know the effects of adding these to my automatic car
It wouldn't matter if it were automatic or manual. Some sort of "damage" will take place. At least that's what my salesman told me.

Are you only looking for performance mods? How about suspension mods? I mean the tC isn't really a "fast" car to begin with. I have springs and a sway on mine and I drive the car a bit more spirited

Edit: Didn't realize that this was in the engine modifications forum so I guess you're only looking for performance mods.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ok I will be putting a turbo in my TC this summer and I am getting the stage 1. I know that it wears on the engine and that if it is properly tuned it can easily become a daily driver. Plus, Mitsu engines are not built right in the first place, everywhere i hear someone is having problems with their Mitsu no matter what, it never fails.

I would say that you could add whatever you want, headers won't do much good though cause you might have to change them, anyhow I would say go for it...I am. I already have alot of my mods on my TC and I plan to do a turbo configuration this summer. So there..

·
Registered
339 Posts
turbos runs off engine exhaust = less Engine wear

supercharger runs off engine = more Engine wear

i think turbos dont wear the engine as bad as a turbo does because it runs off the exhaust as opposed to the supercharger running off of the engine via belts and whatnot that are attached to it

can someone verify?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If I remember correctly its pretty much all the same kind of engine wear...I used to have a turbo on my accord and I never had a problem with the turbo or any part wearing out because of it...and I ran it at night and drove it during the day for about a year and sold it thereafter to get a tc. So I would say if tuned correctly then you should have next to no problems with it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ok first off you cant get a turbo AND i/h....turbo manifold would replace the header and charge piping replaces the cai. however they can work with a supercharger. so make that decision before u go buying parts.

your automatic, while weaker than a manual, certainly can use some upgrades. a stage one turbo setup, OR trd supercharger, OR boltons and mild headwork (if it ever becomes available) should not exceed the limits of your automatic. if you are worried about it, perhaps an auto trans mechanic can bump your auto's line pressure to prevent slippage.

as far as wear on the engine. toyota overengineers their engines and the tc is no exception. the 2az is known for being uber-reliable in the camry and its relatively unchanged for the tc. scionspeed has also bumped up their turbo tc to 18psi and gotten 426whp on stock internals which when you look at the percentage gained there without replacing internals....is just incredible. its about unheard of until you look at the mkiv 2jz supra engine, known for being taken over 1000hp on stock internals....go toyota!

that being said, any forced induction will lessen your engines life span. it cant be argued that there is NO extra wear. however, if the turbo/SC is properly setup and the fuel and ignition is tuned properly it is more than reasonable to expect daily driver reliability and long life out of a low boost (approx 6-10psi) application.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by greg091@Jun 6 2005, 09:03 PM
turbos runs off engine exhaust = less Engine wear

supercharger runs off engine = more Engine wear

i think turbos dont wear the engine as bad as a turbo does because it runs off the exhaust as opposed to the supercharger running off of the engine via belts and whatnot that are attached to it

can someone verify?
this is debateable...perhaps lance could give you more insight on this one. but if you really want the most problem free forced induction, wait for trd's supercharger...and i only say that because it should have a warranty attached to it

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay, maybe i'll do the TRD superchearger, if it comes out soon, and a CAI. exactly how much depletion will the engine get once i add this? what i mean is, is their a shorter span on how long the engine will last?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.