Scion tC Forums banner
1341 - 1350 of 1350 Posts

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
Some cool tire tuning information. His whole blog is worth reading. Local guy (Neal Tovsen) that autocrosses with us and is very well known in the Nationals community. I spent 30 min with him sitting in my passengers seat at the last practice event and shaved over a second off my times doing it. Very knowledgeable and does a great job explaining things.

Tire Pressures - Finding the Sweet Spot

Tire Pressures - Tuning Car Balance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ran my 2014 tC at the Kansas Region SCCA events this weekend at Heartland Motorsports Park. I bought this car to be my daily but also to autox when my Supra isn't running. With my Supra being a Street Mod classed car it doesn't run a lot lately. I ended up buying a set of Kumho V730's for it. I've ordered an Ultra Racing rear sway bar but it hasn't arrived yet so this was just with the tires and everything else stock. Been a long time since I've autoxed anything FWD so day was was not only learning the car but relearning FWD.

Here is my best run from Saturday:

Sunday's runs were a little better for me. A little closer to the cones and have a better idea of where to have the tire pressures.

Best run from Sunday -

Can't wait for the rear bar to find its way to me. Its currently in production so hoping it will be here before the next events in mid May. Also looking at some brake pads to upgrade. The stock ones weren't horrible but could use a little extra bite.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
I meant to come over and say hi! I was there in my S2000 but used to autocross an 05 tC (still own that car but just do not autocross it any longer). I was in the yellow STR prepped s2k with the Cone Coach and Nationals stickers on it running in XA

·
Registered
6 Posts
I meant to come over and say hi! I was there in my S2000 but used to autocross an 05 tC (still own that car but just do not autocross it any longer). I was in the yellow STR prepped s2k with the Cone Coach and Nationals stickers on it running in XA
Cool! You will have to come by and say hi at the next event....I think the Kansas region may be close to finding a new site and having some dates for 2022. I will likely be in the tC if the region does any any events in the next month or two. However, if there is anything after Nationals then hopefully my Supra will be out. If it does make it out I will be in XA!

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
Cool! You will have to come by and say hi at the next event....I think the Kansas region may be close to finding a new site and having some dates for 2022. I will likely be in the tC if the region does any any events in the next month or two. However, if there is anything after Nationals then hopefully my Supra will be out. If it does make it out I will be in XA!
Nice! With the way they classed the S2k I will likely just stay in XA for local events and co drive something else (likely an STS Miata like I did for spring nats) for nationals. Plus, in XA I can be lazy after track nights and not have to remove the wing for autocross :D Will be cool to have more people in the class with us. Really sucks that we lost Heartland for autocross. I have run an event too here in KC at MCI. Not a big lot style site but it was still a lot of fun. Likely going to be driving to Lincoln for some locals this summer at some point to run on concrete more often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice! With the way they classed the S2k I will likely just stay in XA for local events and co drive something else (likely an STS Miata like I did for spring nats) for nationals. Plus, in XA I can be lazy after track nights and not have to remove the wing for autocross :D Will be cool to have more people in the class with us. Really sucks that we lost Heartland for autocross. I have run an event too here in KC at MCI. Not a big lot style site but it was still a lot of fun. Likely going to be driving to Lincoln for some locals this summer at some point to run on concrete more often.
I typically run my Supra in SM and I feel bad not running SM since I am on the Street Modified Advisory Committee but its so much easier to just run XA right now. I also think XA/XB have the potential to be bigger than SM as well.

I have run lots of events at KC but am not the biggest fan of that site. The way that most course designs are there I think it teaches bad habits or not looking ahead and not being able to read "real" autocross sites. Plus with it being half asphalt/half concrete you can't tune your car at all there.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
Agree. Back in MN we had a similar site, although larger and it was 99% asphalt. But only so many course options on a driving course. While the surface was not great at Heartland, the size of the lot was awesome and Ron designed some super fun courses there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree. Back in MN we had a similar site, although larger and it was 99% asphalt. But only so many course options on a driving course. While the surface was not great at Heartland, the size of the lot was awesome and Ron designed some super fun courses there.
While I don't remember courses after I am done running them I do know that I left an event at Heartland from a course that Ron or Brian worked on that I didn't like. The ProSolo course in 2020 was one of the best Pro courses I have ever run!

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
We just moved back to the area after 18 years in MN, so had never autocrossed at HMP until this season. Missed the final two events there as well since we were camping that weekend. Still there monthly for track night events though. Hopefully the new site turns out nice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kansas Region SCCA held a test n tune at a new site this past weekend. It ran hour sessions with you either working or running. The morning saw wet for me and dry in the afternoon. Decent site for grip but small so not a lot of area to really hammer down. However, the final stretch of slalom into the finish was wide open throttle is you came out of the sweet correctly so I was able to hit the rev limiter in second gear still.

The car is no sporting an Ultra Racing rear sway bar which really helped rotate the rear of the car. Played around with tire pressure quite a bit for this test n tune. I believe I have a good wet setup now. Still need to tweak a little for the dry setup but getting there.

Here is one of my best morning (wet) runs:

Here is one of my best afternoon (dry) runs:

1341 - 1350 of 1350 Posts