Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Automatic 2006 tC with 2400 miles, and went to the dealership to see how much the trade in value would be to get a Manual. Below are all of the accessories that are added. They told me that I would only get 18000 when I payed 23000 with all the taxes and everything. Is that worth it?

Exterior: Ground Effects Kit (G1) $995
Exterior: Fog Lights (LJ) $425
Interior: Auto Dimming Mirror (N1) $310
Interior: SRS Side & Side Curtain Airbags (BE) $650
Interior: Door Sill Enhancements (G0) $115
Interior: 2 in 1 Carpet and Cargo Mats (CF) $145
Interior: Scion Security (V5) $469
Interior: Shift Knob by OBX Racing Sports: Classic Leather (22) $59
Sound: Pioneer AM/FM/CD + iPod Capability (P3) $260

· Registered
567 Posts
You know that they will sell your car for well over the price you originally paid...But i dont know if it is worth it or not....

· Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Originally posted by mrc00l88@Jan 15 2006, 05:36 PM
I have an Automatic 2006 tC with 2400 miles, and went to the dealership to see how much the trade in value would be to get a Manual. Below are all of the accessories that are added. They told me that I would only get 18000 when I payed 23000 with all the taxes and everything. Is that worth it?

Exterior: Ground Effects Kit (G1) $995
Exterior: Fog Lights (LJ) $425
Interior: Auto Dimming Mirror (N1) $310
Interior: SRS Side & Side Curtain Airbags (BE) $650
Interior: Door Sill Enhancements (G0) $115
Interior: 2 in 1 Carpet and Cargo Mats (CF) $145
Interior: Scion Security (V5) $469
Interior: Shift Knob by OBX Racing Sports: Classic Leather (22) $59
Sound: Pioneer AM/FM/CD + iPod Capability (P3) $260
a lot of those things you listed doesn't matter on a trade in. i know they are buying tCs for around 18K at auction so, it seems like they are telling you straight. you should never expect to get your tax, licence and fees back. i would put my tC in the paper or something to try to get a better price off it. you could sell it for around what you paid for it that way.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty+Jan 15 2006, 08:45 PM-->QUOTE (moriarty @ Jan 15 2006, 08:45 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2006, 05:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-mrc00l88
@Jan 15 2006, 08:36 PM
Interior: Scion Security (V5)  $469

What exactly does the Scion Security do?
that is a different thread. [/b]
You're right. I'm sorry.

Anyway, I think you should put the car on carsoup.com. tCs are going for a lot of money there right now.

· Premium Member
7,158 Posts
additionally, if you need to wait for the car to come in on order, it will give you some time to get the car sold. then if you can't get it sold you can trade it in.

I would also try to see how much CARMAX will give you for it.

personally, i would suggest waiting a little bit before you try to trade it in. let the dust settle. get to know the car before you trade it in. you haven't even broke it in, yet.

· Registered
866 Posts
You're going to loose quite a bit of money just to change the transmission. I can't say what you should do. But ~18k sounds about right. All of those accessories that you paid out the as$ for are worth $0 to the dealer. I love how that works.

Just thought of something. Why don't you just take off as many of the options you put on your current tC before you trade? Then slap them on the new one

· Registered
68 Posts
I think take the stuff off the old and put on the new is the best bet. But why would you buy an 06 auto just to turn around to a 5 speed?

· Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Jan 15 2006, 06:02 PM
You're going to loose quite a bit of money just to change the transmission. I can't say what you should do. But ~18k sounds about right. All of those accessories that you paid out the as$ for are worth $0 to the dealer. I love how that works.
it has nothing to do with what those items are worth to the dealer. we know we can get more money because of that stuff. the problem is with the bank. the bank doesn't care what you have on the car. they will only pay so much.

· Registered
872 Posts
Yes, do not trade it in. They are trying to screw you. You could also take off some of the accessories you added.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
They're not trying to screw you. They're doing what is in THEIR best interest, NOT yours. They are buying the car from you on the spot, no waiting, no hassles. If you don't mind waiting and don't mind hassles with people wanting to make appointments, take test drives, abuse the car, then not buy it, go ahead and sell it private party. What is your time worth, and how hard did you negotiate the PACKAGE.

Any new car deal has three main elements: New car price, trade-in value, and financing. The dealership has the opportunity to make money in all three of these areas, and if the SUM of the three adds up to a reasonable profit, then you have a car. If it doesn't then you don't. There are LOTS of ways to negotiate the three elements on a regular car deal. You just can't negotiate the new car price on a Scion - they have to sell for the advertised price. Good, bad, or indifferent, that's how it works. So you have to work with trade-in value and financing to make or break the deal.

As always, the best deal in any sales organization is when both parties walk away saying to themselves, "Yeah, I screwed them! HA!" And it happens ALL the time.

· Registered
866 Posts
Hah. I wonder how bad I took it up the ass then. My dealer told me that they couldn't give me anymore for my 95' Auto Geo Prizm than $1000. They said because of the "pure price of scions" , they're already loosing money, and that if I was buying any other vehicle, he could have given me more. But KBB was only $1900-$2200. So I don't think I made out that bad. The car had 88K miles on it, and was in perfect working condition though (I was just tired of having to floor it to go anywhere, the fact it had 4 doors and I only used 2, and that I put my life in D [hehe].)

Maybe $1000 wasn't so bad. I MIGHT have gotten like $2000 for private party re-sale, and like lo bux said, that takes time, negotiating, etc.. aka: headache. I know I got hosed with the financing though. lol.. 14.6%. Nice!! But I only financed $10k, and I'm pre-approved for a re-finance from my bank @ 7.5% in August--thank god.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.