Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized that I had paid for a Auto Theft Registration $289. I dont recall asking for something like that but it's on my receipt. So what is that anyways? And was it optional? If it's optional I'll be pissed.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Never heard of it before. Might want to look here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sounds like the same thing the Scion Finance Mgr tried to sell me.

They etch a special tracking number on all your windows with a phone number. That way, if your car is stolen, they can locate you if they find it (or some of the parts).

The Finance carefully explained the Toyota extended warranty as an option. Once I said I didn't want it, he printed out the contract and the separate $249 for the Anti Theft Registration was already on the contract. He had to remove it because it automatically is added to all contracts.

Since you have already paid for it, I think you should at least go back and get the details on the package. It provides extra insurance if your car is stolen and never recovered, rental car coverage, and several other things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
They probably threw it in when you did your finance either without your knowledge or because by trying to talk so much that you, the buyer, were confused about what they were saying. A normal sale tactic. This certainly (for me) was not offered when I bought my car. Carmax is good at explaining what is being sold to their buyers.

Well, hope you'll never have to use it (even though you're stuck with it) since none of us want to have our cars get stolen.

P.S. Going back to complain is probably useless since they would probably tell you that you did not read what you were signing. That's why I don't like the way most of the car dealers do businesses.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Might as well be undercarriage protectant. Dealer pocket liner is what that should be called.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Aug 18 2005, 04:31 AM
Another cute name for added dealer profit.
Yeah. When I was doing financing, there was a $100 "Documentation Fee" and when I asked what that was for, he tried to say that it's something that dealerships are required to charge if they have ever charged someone else for it. So I said, "Ok, but what's it actually for?" And he leveled with us and said that it was just something they throw on there for pure profit. He said it's just $100 that goes straight into the wallet of Beck (of Beck Toyota).

At least he was honest I guess. heh.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the infos. I'll call the dealership about it when I have free time. All my fault for not looking at the papers carefully. At least that's the only sneaky thing they threw in there. Everything else checked out fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was lucky I decided to go to Carmax after my first attempt at the first dealer. Carmax said it right out that they charge $99 processing fee and that was it.

I wish all dealers were like them. Bought 2 cars from them so far and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I didn't have any auto theft protection on it or offerd to me, but I did get a check from the dealer for $200 some odd dollars because they accidently charged me too much tax

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.