Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two nights ago I finished up an Apexi AVC-R (Actuator Valve Controller) install with the help of blue. I used the ATI center gauge pod and fabbed up a piece of aluminum and painted it black to match the unit. After just a couple hours tooling with this bad boy we can see it has great potential! My car is one step closer to being a cockpit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah that looks really good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (TheFantasticG @ Sep 26 2008, 05:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=428454
I almost dare say information overload in there...[/b]
At first it is kind of... but after you get used to having it for a while its great. Especially since the AVCR has a peak recall. You can see exactly what throttle position, boost, soleniod duty, speed, and rpm peaked at. Very useful.

I don't find myself staring at my boost gauge to see if I'm spiking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
damn dude that looks freaken sweet!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (GTS-T @ Oct 6 2008, 05:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=430877
You using the Apexi timer as well? I'm thinking about buying it.[/b]
I'm using a Greddy turbo timer. It's a real piece of crap. Sometimes the lag between key off to when it takes over is too long & the car shuts down. Once I restart it catches typically.

I heard turbo timers in general being ####ty with this problem. I'd suggest going with whatever suites your taste as far as aesthetics go; they all do the same thing pretty much.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
All turbo timers are crap. Greddy makes one of the better ones (unfortunatly). The Apex-i one isnt that great and I have seen fail a bunch of times. If you dont want greddy Id get the Blitz.

·
Registered
242 Posts
QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Oct 7 2008, 03:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=431045
All turbo timers are crap. Greddy makes one of the better ones (unfortunatly). The Apex-i one isnt that great and I have seen fail a bunch of times. If you dont want greddy Id get the Blitz.[/b]
I had a HKS timer in my old Skyline. It worked like a champ but I don't know if it's attachable to the tC.

Believe it or not but I actually called and left a message with HKSUSA but they never returned my call..

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
QUOTE (GTS-T @ Oct 7 2008, 03:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=431075
QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Oct 7 2008, 03:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=431045
All turbo timers are crap. Greddy makes one of the better ones (unfortunatly). The Apex-i one isnt that great and I have seen fail a bunch of times. If you dont want greddy Id get the Blitz.[/b]
I had a HKS timer in my old Skyline. It worked like a champ but I don't know if it's attachable to the tC.

Believe it or not but I actually called and left a message with HKSUSA but they never returned my call..
[/b][/quote]

Youll have to hard wire it in to the harness. What year tC do you have?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For those interested...

I bought some real thin aluminum from Home Depot, layed the stock 3-hole face plate over and traced it. I cut it using some tin snips. (Wiss Snips work the best) I was going to dremel cut the aluminum but the snips worked much better. I cut it close and then went around the edges with a dremel to finish it up. After getting it to fit I cut the middle out after tracing the basic dimensions of the AVCR. (I used the cutting wheel on the dremel for the inside).

I cut out the plastic on the inside so the AVCR could sit into it. I used a piece of extra aluminum and bent it up to use as a backing to the plastic lip inside. I affixed it with strong double sticky. After sticking the Controller in there on the dash I used expandable squishy foam from the Depot to keep it from making noise and also support the aluminum channel better.

It took some time, but it was totally worth it. It's so easy to see and tune (looks pretty good to sitting there). Too bad nobody mass produces a pod for the AVCR like that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but I love that setup! I was going to buy the ATi dash pod for my gauges because I didn't think I would like them on the pillar, but I think I would rather have my boost gauge there as well after seeing yours and watching a couple of YouTube vids. I would definitely buy the piece for the ATi to hold the AVC-R if you were willing to make me one. :D ;)

But since that's probably a long shot, does the 3 gauge holder just like pop out of the ATi pod? then I'm guessing it's just empty at that point so the AVC-R would fit in there?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts