Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Underdrive has its plusses and minuses. If the underdrive pulley is solid and replaces a harmonic damper, it is bad. Ask Steve Dinan of Dinan Engineering.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard lots of those horror stories as well about crank pulleys messing up motors if they arent harmonic dampeners. There are lots of internet forum debates over the topic, and im not trying to make us sit here and argue whether or not they actually damage stuff if they are just solid pieces.

To be honest, I have two small toyotas, both used as daily drivers, that originally came with harmonic pulleys. I have replaced those and have been running solid pulleys with no problems for about 5 years now, for over 50,000 miles!

I also personally know at least 10 other people who own, civics, 240SX, MR2s, etc, who have these solid pulleys as well and have been running fine for several years. The MR2 and Corolla AE86 crowd say a lot of good things about the NST stuff so I decided to share the link with some other fellow toyota tuners.

Like i said, not trying to start a theoretical forum war here, just stating my own personal experience.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
And I know lots of guys with Supras (by name, not something I read on the 'net) who've had their flexplate bolts loosen and shear, and even the guys with manuals have had the crank trigger device loosen in its mount and rotate so the engine will not run at all after running undamped pulleys. I also know guys with domestic V-8s who've had their cranks break from torsional vibration. The more power you have, the more likely you'll have problems.

On the same note, lots of Hondas come from the factory with solid pulleys and no damping at all.

Like I said, plusses and minuses. I wouldn't take off a damper to replace it with a solid underdrive just for a couple of hp. A lightweight flywheel is worth a LOT more and poses far less risk. So does choosing a light set of wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.