Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am running 2 profile 10" subs and a California 800w amp along with a pioneer DH6600. I wired with 8gauge for the power and everything has been fine for the past few months.

I had my new system come in today and I just got done wiring the car with the new 2 gauge kit. The box will be done tommorow or thursday and it will all be tuned and sounding awesome by friday.

My new system is a Directed Audio 1100d that puts out a little under 1200w RMS, and a 15" Stereo Integrity Mag.

My question is, has anyone with a comparable high power system had the need to do the big3 upgrade or even replace the alternator with a higher power one. Has anyone even used a seperate battery in their trunk?

I know the TC is a small car and I am hoping the alternator can keep up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not sure if its considered high power but i'm running a good 500rms @4ohms to my Tempest, another 82x4 [email protected] 4ohms, but running all outputs at 8ohms, and i plan on getting another amp soon when i go 3way up front, for a dedicated midbass, so add another 160x2 @4ohms to the mix. With just the sub and 4ch amp right now i'm perfectly fine, and consistantly at 13.7V mabey a few +/- .1-.2V here or there but nothing drastic.

With that much power to just a sub you might want to just upgrade your battery to a Yellow top, and upgrade the big 3 to all 0awg, and you should be fine....if anything possibly a new alt if everything else dosent' work. And for god's sake don't get a cap, there useless, if you didn't already know.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Guy Brawner you will be fine....the car will handle it no sweat with a stock charging system, an optima battery might not be a bad upgrade though, just a little stronger overall. 15" sub, i hope you liked your hearing
. . . been there, done that, painful effects

Demon, caps do serve a purpose, but not until you get well over 2000 watts rms in most of today's cars unless you are running competition.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
^^ hey eddiemoney I was ridding in my car the other night and I happened to notice that the sound I was listening too was hitting some pretty low notes and my lights were dimming...should I be looking at an optima battery so fix this, I know a cap really won't do my any good so I am thinking new battery but I am not for sure

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Your lights shouldn't be dimming....i run 600 rms to my sub...my radio lights dim a little, but never my headlights, etc....I am pretty sure alpmans don't dim either. A cap would typically fix this problem, but chances are you need a stronger ground and that is why your lights are dimming because you aren't running enough power to require anything extra to support it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Problem with a cap though is if you don't have a charging system capable of suffeciently powering your amps....and you get dimming, or massive voltage drops....if your already getting that much dimming, a cap isint going to help much if any because your charging system is the problem, not your battery. Your charging system would be the problem becasue its not making enough amps to keep your amps running optimally. And it takes even more to charge and release, and charge and release a cap when the problem is your charging system.

Upgrade your charging system and there is no need for worthless caps IMO. There is no need period for caps, and there is alot of controversy over if caps really work, i'm a firm beleiver there a waist of money, spend that money on a new battery/big3/Alt upgrades.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Oct 19 2005, 08:04 AM
Your lights shouldn't be dimming....i run 600 rms to my sub...my radio lights dim a little, but never my headlights, etc....I am pretty sure alpmans don't dim either. A cap would typically fix this problem, but chances are you need a stronger ground and that is why your lights are dimming because you aren't running enough power to require anything extra to support it.
could it also have to do with the alpine amp being digital?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.