Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a friend that happens to be a locksmith and he told me a replacement key for my ride would be 170 bucks in FL. Has anyone had to replace a key yet? I can't wait for the day I fall into a pool or my key get washed with the laundry. has anyone had any issues with getting thier key wet?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
$170 is not that bad of a deal - is that for the key with remote built in or for the valet key, though?

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
If you have your key code you can get it cut at any dealer in the U.S. and i can't remember but i think my sales person said that it was FREE. Not sure dont quote me.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Retail for Standard Key : $106.25
Retail for Valet Key : $ 61.49

at least that what i charge for them here in my parts dept. at $170 you are getting hosed. hard.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
A year ago I've seen a post of someone getting charged $250+ for a key with remote.

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
Originally posted by scionsj@Oct 14 2005, 11:28 AM
when i got my tc the dealer guys told me like 6 times DO NOT LOOSE THE KEY and i was like why? and he told it cost 325 per piece
He was BSing and price gouging like a mofo. Personally if I had to order a replacement key I'd go through either D's parts department or Sparks parts department... I love sending business their way

·
Registered
14 Posts
i recently lost my valet.
can't replace it yet as i don't have the extra cash.

my dealer told me the key was $50 but has a $50 labor charge.

this is nuts!! i lose keys more than anyone i know.
i've locked keys in car while in the ignition
my old nissan (that my TC replaced) had a sticky gas cap and i had my key break in half while trying to lodge it open! i was on 1000mi from home on a road trip!

so everytime we have a problem we have to get ourselves to a dealership....and pay a nice chunk of change????

i see troubles ahead for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yep. unfortunately that's what the parts guy at my dealer explained. i was dumbfounded!

my salesman when i bought the car also warned me "never lose the keys!!" i said, well i'm afraid that will be impossible for me and sho'nuff here i am w/o my valet key.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm not 100% on this, but I remember reading somewhere that if you leave your key in the ignition, you won't be able to lock the doors. If it's right, I think it's clever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.