Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody seen or heard anything about cams being made or developed for our cars? i figured by now atleast one or two companies would have a set for the tc but i've heard nothing so far. just wondering.

·
Registered
281 Posts
you can send your cuttent cams to crower and they can regrind them to more aggressive profiles. no its not a new cam, but ther good. i know people who sent them to crower and got the regrinds and were completly happy. BTW, a good set of cams are good for 15+HP as a drop in. guys who had GSR integras (175hp) bought a set of Type-R cams and bumped up to 190 consistantly.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
We'll be making some awesome things once we get the ball rolling, expect a couple of huge announcements from us in the next month or so.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is a lot of work involved with aking a camshaft profile that is suitable for the phasing that the VVTI affects. Due to the dynamic nature of the changes in the intake pahsing, it will be hard to make an all-around balanced camshaft thatis much better both at full tilt and at the retarded position that will be smooth and not have gaps in the flow curve. I am working on a way to change that, and because the ECU changes the timing based on both load and RPM, it is hard to figure out the regiment it uses and to take advantage of it; though I am trying and we've got some good research into the ECU that will help us.

If you were to disable the VVTi I could come up with some excellent profiles that would be smooth and offer some good power advantages in different parts of the powerband. There's a lot of dynamics to a camshaft's motion that makes creating a uni-profile for the phase changes GREAT all around a very involved process. Right now it is good, and it would be easier to make a high-rpm shaft and sacrifice low-end torque, fuel efficiency or idle quality; or vice versa, make a low-end shaft with a dull power output. To learn more about valve flow and a look into camshaft timing, check here and make sure to check back for an in-depth look at valve timing and effective camshaft DESIGN. If you have any questions or want some static camshaft profiles that would work let me know. Once I have a motor on a stand you can betcha there will be some very big steps in the way this motor breathes.

Obike is right, big things are coming.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
and all of this is at the expense of our warranty, correct? would th whole engine warrantee be forefeited?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by AcrimoniousBear@Feb 1 2006, 07:56 AM
and all of this is at the expense of our warranty, correct? would th whole engine warrantee be forefeited?
Bingo.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Jan 31 2006, 07:37 PM
So we ARE looking at VVT-i compatible cams? Next question, will these be for NA or FI applications?

Also, perhaps it would be prudent to use a CAMCOM to get the most out of new cams?
Yes, I/we will be doing our best to create a multitude of profiles that will work with either the standard VVTi (ie drop in cams) program and if we delve into that area of the ECU will offer cams that will drop in and be best used with a flash program that takes advantage of them. Also, models with ground out stock camshafts and lifter shims will be available as well as billet if the hardware for the VVTi will swap over. If not we it will be welds or grinds. The warranty is not something an aftermarket company has control over. That is between you and Toyota and for the most part, if you are taking the timing belt off, you are getting too far into the motor to consider keeping the warranty. The cams will accompany a variety of spring, valve, retainer, and ported head combinations. These will be available in titanium and less exotic alloys as well; eventually. With any inproved cam profile the dynamics of the cam may be harder on the valvetrain components, and thus could lower life expectancy of the stock parts, which is yet another reason to include the improved hardware with the cams (higher tension springs, etc).

The second question: FI or NA: The first applications will be tailored for our turbocharging kits, but profiles for NA performance will come as well, though just dropping in cams isn't going to give you much performance in the stock powerband without sacrificing either idle quality or emmisions; the biggest gain in performance will be coupling the cams with a modified head/valve package. I am going to make some smog-compatible cam profiles that will give more performance as well. Obviously the goals of a turbocharged motor are different from an NA motor, so the cams will vary accordingly.

I don't think you will need any sort of extraneous computer controls to take advantage of the stock VVTi program and a better profile.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Actually, it isn't CTech... it's another company. This is all part of a series of announcements, so just be patient.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I can be patient.

Does anyone play Unreal Tournament 2003/4? Does anyone remember the wait and the delay for the demo? The Day Of T3h Demo that day was.. That two week wait was quite literally the longest official "two weeks" of my life (it was more like four or five months.) Too bad I don't even play that game anymore.

And then there was a mod for Unreal Tournament (UT99) called Infiltration. Waiting for the latest version that was coming out "soon" but came out after a year really taught patience.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Feb 1 2006, 08:09 PM
I can be patient.

Does anyone play Unreal Tournament 2003/4? Does anyone remember the wait and the delay for the demo? The Day Of T3h Demo that day was.. That two week wait was quite literally the longest official "two weeks" of my life (it was more like four or five months.) Too bad I don't even play that game anymore.

And then there was a mod for Unreal Tournament (UT99) called Infiltration. Waiting for the latest version that was coming out "soon" but came out after a year really taught patience.
You think that is bad? The Q3 demo was much worse... it single handedly brought down fifty seperate _LARGE_ file distributors to their knees (3d gamers, fileplanet, fileshack, id software themselves, etc etc). Not to mention that it was released for Mac before PC, and when it finally hit PC everyone went APE.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Haha! That's horrible.

I'm glad I'm away from all that. I stopped playing those games a little bit back. Basically when UT99 mod support started working on better things (Q3, HL2, UT2k4) I stopped playing because I didn't have a computer that could handle the new games. Oh well.

I'm purposely going off topic because this is how I'm patient. Teehee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.