Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new. nice site.

I know scion are trying to be like saturn when dealing with price. But i just had to try my BS on the salesperson...he didn't budge at all.

Did everyone who bought the tc pay the msrp?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yep, no negotiations on car price. They're making about $800/car.

Not a lot of money considering most dealers are only getting about 5 tC's per month. Thats why they try to make their money on the accessories. They've got some serious markup on the addons, but they can be purchased elsewhere (see: trdsparks.com) for much less.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The sticker price ($16450 for stock 5spd) is what you will "pay" for the car. The add-ons and installation vary and I was able to haggle to get my trade in value from $800 up to $1450. The best thing to do is check around for prices on extras and know your blue-book value if you're trading.

also ask about dealer processing fees...in my area they ranged from $49 to $350. This just depends on which dealer you go to.

·
Registered
999 Posts
16450 + 45 Doc. Fee.

Isn't there any other fee's like California Tax or something? Or would I actually be paying exactly 16500 for a tC. (If I were to get one now)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
You would pay sales tax, tag, and title, and those are non-negotiable (unless your dealer wants to go to jail). I dunno if there's something special that you people in Cali have to pay on top of that...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure the salesperson wasn't lying to me. I feel much better now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if a dealership sells a scion for more or less then msrp it becomes in violation of being scion compliant and loses part of its allocation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I paid MSRP, but later found that the Scion price varies by dealership. Granted, they are trying to band together, but sooner or later someone will crumble. Case in point, the tC can be had for under MSRP at Fitzgerald Auto Mall. Here's the link: http://www.fitzmall.com/

They offer the tC delivered (anywhere in the US) for $339 under MSRP. Granted it's not a huge savings, but I may have done it. If anything, I would have printed out the price and used it during negotiations. A friend of mine did just that for a WRX. The dealer went under the Fitzgerald price. I just looked and found a 2005 5-spd WRX wagon for $21,037. Not bad considering it lists for $24,870.

I only wished they sold Acura's, because I'd probably be driving a new TL instead of a tC.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is my understanding that the base price of the car is not negotiable but other things such as accessories vary depending on dealership. Some dealerships also have prep and inflated documentation fees that I was able to lower. When I called Scion corp. they said that dealers are allowed to add on these charges.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i sell scions and toyotas and that is breaking complience, i guarnetee that that dealership might not have scions much longer....

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
High Mileage demos CAN be discounted.
Posted price and advertised price MUST match.
No negotiations.
Dealerships can charge whatever they want for documentation fees and installation fees. Is it in their best interest to over charge? Not for me to say.

Besides, you should be happy that we can't mark the tC up in price. Could you imagine what mark ups would do to a tC's price? Damn. Scions don't seem to fall victim to suppy and demand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yay for no real negotiation on the car price. A few hundred bucks difference in a deal between me and most everyone else I could live with, but if I found out that I overpaid by $1000+ because of stupid haggling, I would be pissed!!

However, if an accessory isnt on the sticker, you can negotiate on those items. I got free floormats for instance. Or maybe if you wanted springs installed you could negotiate on the install cost. The only thing you have to remember is that this car is in HIGH demand, you wont get much if anything at all.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Umm, I got mine in two days, and it was one of three on any dealer lot in the Atlanta area at the time, so I wasn't going to spend too much time trying to get freebies. There were people walking circles around it, admiring it (and, incidentally, ignoring the Celica and MR2 that were parked right next to it) while I was completing the sale, so I wanted to wrap things up as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I was so happy to find a 5-speed, black with zero accessories that I did not think about asking for freebies... I did spend 2 hours haggling about my trade-in, though...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The dealers I spoke to only wanted to give me $2,500 for my 1999 Corolla (with 98,000 miles). I was able to get a couple of them to say they "might" give me $3,000, but no more. Then I looked on Autotrader.com and saw local dealers selling them for $6,000 to $8,000 with 70,000 miles or so, and I got pissed and decided to sell it myself.

I'm glad I did -- I ended up getting $4,700, or almost twice as much as the dealer wanted to give me. Just a thought, if you think the dealer will gouge you on your trade-in.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Trading a car in is something else. Is the hassle of selling your car worth the money? That's up to the person. That is hit and miss. Before you go to the dealership check out the BlueBook. The trade in value is a place to start to get a price. Expect the dealer to come back from that number. You should expect about a grand less then what the trade in value says. The dealers have several things (that cost money) to do before it gets sold again.

I say again, If you don't mind people comming to your house and the hassling that goes with that, don't trade in your car. I suppose I am more apt to trade my car in because it is a damn Volkswagen.

·
Registered
255 Posts
lol i would always try to sell ur vehicle first. trade in comes last. i know trade in my truck would be lucky to get $1,300 but im selling it for $2,000. And the guy was more than willing to pay 2500...i shoulda said that price first. darnnit. Trade-in value sucks get your moneys worth and rip someone off lol.

i mean that in the nicest way possible

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Choices:
1st: Private party sale
2nd: Carmax (if available)
3rd: Trade-in

1 - 20 of 24 Posts