Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched and nothing so far, so here goes nothing. I have a 06, 5 speed, tC. When the car is on, warmed up, there are 2 noises that come from the engine. 1, is the Vacuum Switching Valve which I have read up on, and it is normal for it to tick. That is not my main concern. What is though is this loud purring sound that comes from the engine side of the car. It sounds like it comes from or around the heat shield. It purrs/ticks in idle position slowly. As you start to drive the car, it gets louder and faster. The purring sound sounds like if you were to roll your tongue. Like the letter "r" in spanish. If that makes any sense. If you were to drive with music on you cant hear it. But sometimes I like to drive with the music off, and this sound just drives me crazy. In a gear, (ex. 5th) and throwing it into neutral and just coasting, the sound totally goes back to the slow purr as when its in neutral. So speed does have an effect on its sound. I have no mods on my car besides the TRD exhaust. I have brought my car to the dealership before to get my oil change and I tell them about the problem, but they always reports back that they hear nothing. Next time I will take a test drive with them. But in the mean time, does anyone experience or know what I am talking about.

Please someone help. See if it does it on your car. Just please try to get back to me with some feedback.

Thanks,

FLaVaZ

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sure it's not an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Exhaust leak = That would be my first thought as well. Get new nuts...(hahah) and install. Usually they are one time only usage. Well.....not sure if they are studs or bolts...have not removed the heat shield on my car yet. Studs may have a nut that has a slight crush on them (i.e. Supra exhaust, 4runner exhaust) that when you install them they are good to go...but once removed they need replacing. Or you can get a vise and try to simulate the crush again--does not always work.

/oh and if replacing the nuts you may find that the exhaust gasket is screwed if it has been leaking for some time --it might need replacement/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really car illiterate. Are you saying the exhaust comes all the way up by the engine? I dont think Im going to be the one fixing this, it will be the dealership. They better be able to fix it cause its one of those sounds that is annoying and a brand new car should not be making. Any other comments guys?

FLaVaZ

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
set an appt to go on a test drive with a Master Diagnostic Tech (MDT) or the shop foreman. make sure he hears it. then tell him to unf#ck it.
if you just drop it off and leave it, who knows who is going to be doing the test drive. make sure you go with an MDT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I made an appointment for Sat at 7am. I will ask for a MDT. There is def no way I'm leaving that shop until i get to test drive the car with someone. Question...Do they mess with that part of the car when the put the TRD exhaust on?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
TRD exhaust is all the way in the back and where your saying it may be leaking is all the way up front, where the exhaust comes out of the engine. If that clears things up.

-Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I have searched and nothing so far, so here goes nothing. I have a 06, 5 speed, tC. When the car is on, warmed up, there are 2 noises that come from the engine. 1, is the Vacuum Switching Valve which I have read up on, and it is normal for it to tick. That is not my main concern. What is though is this loud purring sound that comes from the engine side of the car. It sounds like it comes from or around the heat shield. It purrs/ticks in idle position slowly. As you start to drive the car, it gets louder and faster. The purring sound sounds like if you were to roll your tongue. Like the letter "r" in spanish. If that makes any sense. If you were to drive with music on you cant hear it. But sometimes I like to drive with the music off, and this sound just drives me crazy. In a gear, (ex. 5th) and throwing it into neutral and just coasting, the sound totally goes back to the slow purr as when its in neutral. So speed does have an effect on its sound. I have no mods on my car besides the TRD exhaust. I have brought my car to the dealership before to get my oil change and I tell them about the problem, but they always reports back that they hear nothing. Next time I will take a test drive with them. But in the mean time, does anyone experience or know what I am talking about.

Please someone help. See if it does it on your car. Just please try to get back to me with some feedback.

Thanks,

I know exactly what your talking about my car does the same I hope you can tell me what did the Master tech say to you. I need help 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
set an appt to go on a test drive with a Master Diagnostic Tech (MDT) or the shop foreman. make sure he hears it. then tell him to unf#ck it.
if you just drop it off and leave it, who knows who is going to be doing the test drive. make sure you go with an MDT.
Let me know what they tell you in having the same issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts