Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have searched and nothing so far, so here goes nothing. I have a 06, 5 speed, tC. When the car is on, warmed up, there are 2 noises that come from the engine. 1, is the Vacuum Switching Valve which I have read up on, and it is normal for it to tick. That is not my main concern. What is though is this loud purring sound that comes from the engine side of the car. It sounds like it comes from or around the heat shield. It purrs/ticks in idle position slowly. As you start to drive the car, it gets louder and faster. The purring sound sounds like if you were to roll your tongue. Like the letter "r" in spanish. If that makes any sense. If you were to drive with music on you cant hear it. But sometimes I like to drive with the music off, and this sound just drives me crazy. In a gear, (ex. 5th) and throwing it into neutral and just coasting, the sound totally goes back to the slow purr as when its in neutral. So speed does have an effect on its sound. I have no mods on my car besides the TRD exhaust. I have brought my car to the dealership before to get my oil change and I tell them about the problem, but they always reports back that they hear nothing. Next time I will take a test drive with them. But in the mean time, does anyone experience or know what I am talking about.

Please someone help. See if it does it on your car. Just please try to get back to me with some feedback.

Thanks,

FLaVaZ

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I just heard this today when I was looking at the engine idle because I was bored
. But it sounds like a purr, I think it sounds pretty cool and I have never heard it before untill I popped the hood. In the car all I hear is my exhaust. If that helps anything. And this doesnt really belong in the transmission Forum thing.

-Eric

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
It probably is your aftermarket intake vibrating against the frame of your car. If you do have an after market one (you said something about vacuum switch ticking) Find a way to hold the intake away fomr the frame. Zipties work nice. Or maybe foam or something inbetween it if this is the true problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted this in another section of the forums, and some people responded saying it might be an exhaust leak?? I guess its leaking from the beginning of the exhaust if that makes any sense. I'm not to car savvy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear a weird sounda kinda like that, More often when it's cold outside and right when I start the car, usually goes away after its warmed up. It def makes me nervous i brought it in a couple times as well with the same outcome, is it like a kind of high pitched purr? I've had a couple of friends listen as well its def not a good sound, but it seems whenever i get a mechanic to look at it ..it wont do it =\

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Trust me every noise you hear is perfectly normal do not worry about any of it...I have taken mine in for just about everything and they had my drive several others and they all do the same thing

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really do not feel mine is normal. Mine happens when the car is warmed up. I brought it in to service and they heard it, but they think its normal. They looked for leaks but nothing. I think its internal. They were like if we "had" another tC we could see if its normal, but they did not have one available. Oh wells, I will bring it to another dealership for my next oil change and see if they can stop the sound. Ill keep you guys posted.

FLaVaZ

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mine has the same sound, it seems to come and go. I hear it really bad when I go over a road with a cement embankment for the sound to reflect off of. I think it is normal, I believe it is just the transmission because as soon as i stop applying power it stops.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hello everybody, how 'bout this one?? I have an '06 5spd. When my car is in neutral and I give a little gas there is a kinda TSSSH sound comimg from my engine, almost as if there is some kind of pressureized air being released somewhere. It happens almost everytime. I am only at 8k right now, but I didn't notice the sound until 4k or so, so i do not know if it was there the whole time. Has anyone else heard this from their car? I don't think it is normal, and has me a little concerned especially since my car is still so new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why have I never heard this in any other car then, all cars have intakes....

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
They don't all sound the same. Even stock, this car has a noisier intake than many.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.