Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't kno if it has been talked about in the forum and it if it has been sorry for bringing it up again.I just want to kno if any one has done a celica gts swap?and if you fellas think it is worth it,and if it is where can I get that engine for a good price?I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out I'm really thinkin about doing this I just want to hear out everyone n see if I should or just waste that money on somethin else,thanx

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Wow... Learn to spell "Engine" (Look at the topic). Learn to punctuate correctly too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Awww, that's jacked! The guy has a legitimate question and you rag him on his grammar. LOl!!! Nah, in all seriousness! I would know nothing about swapping but I will say that there's a place in Whittier, Ca. I believe that my brother went through when he owned his Acura. I think it's called JDM motorsports, they hooked him up nicely.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Wrong side of the country... lol.

I would rather keep my engine. Arent Celica engines smaller?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a really good idea... but its probably not worth it.. the only thing i like about the celica engine is that it has a higher rev limit.. but the tc engine is better for the tc's weight.. the scion tc has a unique engine for an import... it actually has more torque than horsepower.. which is rare... this is because the tc is pretty heavy.. the celica engine might actually be worse for the tc since the celica engine is for lighter cars...stick with the tc engine...

·
Registered
102 Posts
He's got a good point!!!! Makes sense!!!

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I have no idea if anyone has done a GT-S (2ZZ-FE) swap, and I think it'd be pointless for the tC. That engine was designed for a lighter car, that was the only thing the Celica GT-S had going for it was its weight. Also, it's my belief that the engine torque is the saving grace of our car... not to mention that the 2ZZ-FE has a lower displacement than the 2AZ-FE.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It's not possible. The closest transmission that will fit up with the tC is the transmission from the Camry. A few people are thinking of this because the Camry's final drive is not as aggressive as the tC's final drive. This would be a great help for turbo people.

I think there may be a Lexus transmission that is a 6 spd that might fit up but they all share the same final drive so it wouldn't help.

About the 2ZZ-GE, it's not a good idea to swap one into the tC. Like others said, the 2ZZ is a low displacement engine with very little torque in comparison to the 2AZ. Torque is what is necessary to get the tC's 2905 lbs moving. HP is only good once the car gets moving. If there isn't enough torque to allow the engine to achieve higher RPM than all that lift goodness will be for naught.

What will happen if this swap were ever to take place is that you will have to overrev the engine to get a good start (for racing) resulting in pretty good tire spin until traction catches. When the traction comes, the RPM will drop because of the extra work it will have to achieve to get moving. It will take longer to get to the high RPM and every other car will pull ahead in a big woosh.

HOWEVER - there is a counter argument that very well demolishes my argument.

The Prelude VTEC sported a 2.3 liter VTEC engine very similar to the lift the 2ZZ-GE has. Its HP rating is 200 and its tq rating is (I forget..) around 150 +/- 10. I don't think anyone will deny that the Prelude VTEC was a pretty quick car in its day. That car also weighs about 100 lbs over the tC.

I'm sure though that extra .4 liters the H23 (I think that's the engine.. ) has over the 2ZZ makes a pretty big difference. So maybe my argument is still valid.

Whatever the case, a 2ZZ-GE in a tC would be a seriously flawed mod, in my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Dec 15 2005, 03:47 PM
I think there may be a Lexus transmission that is a 6 spd that might fit up but they all share the same final drive so it wouldn't help.

The Prelude VTEC sported a 2.3 liter VTEC engine very similar to the lift the 2ZZ-GE has. Its HP rating is 200 and its tq rating is (I forget..) around 150 +/- 10. I don't think anyone will deny that the Prelude VTEC was a pretty quick car in its day. That car also weighs about 100 lbs over the tC.

I'm sure though that extra .4 liters the H23 (I think that's the engine.. ) has over the 2ZZ makes a pretty big difference. So maybe my argument is still valid.
H23As came in the 92-96 prelude si's and were non vtec (thus why there are numerous swaps for H22A heads w/H23A base), the H22A is the 2.2 liter dohc vtec (i almost bought a 95 prelude vtec from a friend... but i moved away before i had a chance to buy it)

H23A:

160 hp @ ~5800
156 ft/lbs. @ ~5600

H22A:

190 hp @ ~6800 (USDM version, JDM is 200 hp at same RPM)
158 ft/lbs. @ ~5500 (also USDM version, JDM is 161 ft/lbs. at same RPM)

the difference btwn the 2zz and H23 is .5 liters (the number on the engine code for hondas relates to the displacement...)

and if someone has the cash to swap a lexus tranny, they probably have enough money to also have the final drive replaced..

good point though, just needed some minor touch-ups

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ahh, thank you. My Honda knowledge isn't the cleanest. Nor any of my car knowledge to be honest..

Ever since lower division GE math classes I haven't been able to add or subtract properly. Honestly now, it's much easier to differentiate x^3 + 5x^2 - 25x + 42 than to subtract 341 - 31 - 2.

Anyways,
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93086&

^^^ Info about Rick @ RAAMaudio looking for final drive solution.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
We've discussed it here too. I've talked to Rick about it a few times, and for sure the last time I visited him in Portland we talked about it.

Changing the final drive ratio is pretty much a dead thing. You need a different output shaft for the gearbox because the pinion is cut from the output shaft, so it's a complete gearbox rebuild if you want to do it. It's easier just to buy the Camry gearbox and do the swap, assuming the Camry gearbox has the right holes drilled in it to mount it in a tC.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yep, and the Camry box, being the best solution we have come up with so far, still has the same crappy gear spread:(

The 6spd from the 2zz cars is not totally reliable, many have been trashed, and the final drive ration versus the overdrive ends up giving us about 2more MPH top end, or something similar. Other issues as well, just not worth it.

I have been trying to find an Asain or European 6 spd but no luck yet, the 2AZ is not used in a lot of cars and none have 6spds that I have found yet.

As for swaping the 2ZZ into a tC, there are far better ways to spend your performance budget besides taking a giant step backwards.

Rick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.