Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install this in my tC: Infinity
I'm going to use the line level inputs instead of RCA cuz I'm lazy, but that's not the point. I would like to know if anyone knows of any place I could fish the power line through the firewall.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Up high on the passenger side of firewall there is a grommet w/ an unused nipple. Cut the end off the nipple and run a fish tape w/ your pwr cable thru the firewall, into the car, just behind the glove box. Run the pwr wire behind the pass kick panel and under the pass door sill. There is plenty of room to run cables in this car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alpman, that's exactly what I needed!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I looked under the hood and I assume what your talking about is that fairly large grommet (about 4 or 5 inches in diameter) that has 2 nipples with a wiring harness going throught the center, right? and I should just snip the tip and fish a wire through?

Just wanna make sure I cut the right one....don't wanna mess up!
-S

·
Registered
730 Posts
Exactly, you got it, man! Use the other nipple for your alarm wiring later!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just wanted to give a shout out to Alpman for this tip. I went to run power to my new JL Audio amp tonight and without this tidbit of info, I would have spent hours looking for a spot to slide that wire through the firewall.....or drilled through it! It was still difficult to get to, I've got big hands and a strut tie bar in the way, but I made it. In case anyone else tries this, it was difficult to run a 6 AWG wire through the grommet due to friction. A little soapy water on the wire makes it slide right through! Thanks Alpman!!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about me??? The topic starter?
Heheh JK.
Here's a little tip on that too. Yeah it is hard to get to that grommet on the firewall due to the small space, so to make things a little easier remove the engine cover (only two acorn nuts on the top and pull it off) It should give you enough room to stick your hand down there with a pair of scissors to snip the nipple.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This would make a great sticky. I ran my 4 gauge to the back and used all the info provided here and it worked out great. Even the clips under the door sill had enough room to hold this run of garden hose.

My hand got all scraped up because of the metal thing in the dash, but I was expecting that. Could have been worse, I coulda have to of drilled on a one week old car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you Sciontist!!!! Sorry about that... If you didn't ask the question, this tip would not be here. Finished up my install yesterday and this thing BUMPS!!! I am so impressed with the stock system, it just needed an aftermarket sub and amp...hehe! Now it's asbsolutely perfect.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thanks all for the info. Im going to hook up my system next weekend(2 Alpine MRD M300s, 2 Audiobahn AW1206T. Flame series, they QuAkE! I guess i wont be quadin anymore... oh well:)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by joshmoney@Sep 5 2004, 10:30 AM
My hand got all scraped up because of the metal thing in the dash, but I was expecting that. Could have been worse, I coulda have to of drilled on a one week old car.
Damm Dude, I got scraped on my hand too by that metal thing!! They are in now and sound great!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
You have to pull out you glove compartment(give it a good tug from the bottom it comes right out) and youll see a wiring harness going from the computer up thru the firewall. you can get a 4 gauge around the grommet w/o cutting anything, just pull the grommet to the side, and tada!! done!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm glad so many peeps have been able to use this info. Glad also too see lots of aftermarket systems getting installed in our tC's.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i just spent a couple of hours trying to run my power wire through that stupid grommit and it refused to go! i had the glove box out, i tried pulling the wire, pushing it, everything and it still wouldnt go. i gave up and put everything back together. after reading that soapy water might help i went back out again. i dipped the end of my wire in some motor oil and it slid in no problem! didnt have to take anything apart again (except that little panel under the glove box). thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
453 Posts
will this method still work for 0 guage wire....my power wire is huge....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Probably. Just cut the hole bigger in the grommet. Its a pretty big opening.

And use more motor oil.

late

·
Registered
453 Posts
hey where are you guys running your power wires in the engine bay, cuz the batteries driver side but that gromment is passenger...

im a bit skeptic on running the power over the back of the bay, cuz i have seen some people melt thier wires that way....so are you running it up fromt by the radiator???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts