Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anyone mounted an amp underneath the front passenger seat? I'm planning on mounting one there because there is soo much room there. I was going to mount it in the storage area near the spare tire as many have recommended, but I'm concerned with airflow there...don't want to burn up my new investment.
Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because I don't know if there is anything directly below the floorboard there that I might drill into while mounting. If anyone has checked this out, please let me know.
I guess I'm a lazy bastard because I could just jack my car up and check it out, but why reinvent the wheel if someone has already gone through the hassle.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ricoo25, I got my JL 300.4 amp mounted there. Unfortunately I had the installation done by someone else so I haven't checked it to see how far they drilled into the body. I don't think it could be that bad. Its a fairly large amp and is totally hidden as long as the seat isn't pulled forward. Plus, I kept room in the trunk by installing it there.

Also, what kind of system are you going to put in? I have MB quart 6.5 components in the door, MB discuss in the rears, the JL amp, a JL sub and an Alpine deck. This is the first time I have had my stereo installed (I used to do it myself in my other cars), mainly cause I didn't want to mess anything up. I must say it sounds spectacular with the only rattling coming from the license prate frame which I have been to lazy to dynamite. Eventually I will get picks up for everyone to see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nrhanson, for now, I'm leaving everything in the front stock (6-disc Pioneer changer). I've got an Audiobahn (A2002T) 200W/2 Channel amp that I'm gonna bridge to run my Infinity (1035W) 10" sub. I'll add more later, but I wanted to take care of the necessities first more BASSS!!! Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm thinking about installing my own system in my tC rather than letting Tweeter do it. Not that I don't trust them, but I think I would trust myself more, especially after seeing the PDF on the OEM-sub installation and reading the thread on getting through the firewall.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but the idea of mounting under the seat interests me. The guys at Tweeter told me they could fit the amp that I was looking at next to the spare tire without losing too much space (and without destroying the foam). But now I'm liking this seat thing...

How is it done? Do you drill right into the floor of the car? The way I would think to do it would be to put a piece of wood under the carpet, and screw the amp into that piece of wood. Of course, the piece of wood would need to be drilled to something I suppose.

Any suggestions? Pictures would be splendid as well!

Oh, and a final question that I'm hoping won't be ignored: Could an amp also be mounted under the driver's seat? I might want to add an amp for my speakers further down the road...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey alanthing, I ended up installing my amp under the passenger seat and was going to do the wood idea. I ended up not going that route and did something else. OK, this will sound kind of hokey, but it worked really well. Velcro! I covered the bottom of the amp with about 12 strips of the rough side of the velcro and stuck it to the carpet under the seat. It locked down solid. A friend of mine suggested it to me and I thought he was crazy, but it's working just fine. Also, it looks like there is just as much room under the driver's seat. I'll take pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe they drilled right onto the floor of the car. I can check tomorrow though. I can show pictures of it after install but not during (as I didn't do it).

One thing I can tell you is although it is not that difficult to install a stereo in the car, it can be worth it to have a professional install it. I have installed all of my previous car stereos with no problems. However, this time I wanted the cleanest install possible. The guys who installed my stuff also gave me better ideas and made sure that there were little to no sign of a car stereo install. Finally because it was installed by a certified dealer I extended the warranty of all products by a year or two by getting it installed. Oh, one other thing, I also got a place that guaranteed the install for the life of the car.

One last thing, I believean amp could be mounted under the drivers seat as it is the same width space as the passenger seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts