Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been having trouble with my amp, it works fine for the most part now but for some reason it won't work in bridged mode... it keeps cutting out, but it works fine if I use just one of the dual channels. I have a Kicker KX450.2.

·
Registered
102 Posts
it works fine if I use just one of the dual channels. I have a Kicker KX450.2.[/b]
So are you saying that only one of the channels works? Or do both of the channels work?
If its the first one, then I would definently say that one of the channels on the amp is bad.
Either way you might just have a bad amp.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i had trouble bridging my amp awhile back. it turned out that the salesperson at bestbuy had given me one 4ohm and one 8ohm woofer. it worked fine wired as a two channel amp though (till i blew the sub out and bought a matching one)

·
Registered
832 Posts
What kind of impedance are you running? Kicker makes one hell of a nice product. Strange to have trouble with them. Remember that a bridged amp "sees" half the actual impedance you present it. If you're trying to push too low a load it will cause the amp to cut out as you are describing. Also, while it's obvious, check your ground connection and make sure it's bulletproof.
Just my advice, I'm no expert, but I've had no troubles with the few (30-40) installs I've done over the years. I hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my solo baric is the 2ohm model and the amp says it can run it 450w bridged at 2ohms. What are some other good places to have the ground because maybe that is it

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by courier11sec@Aug 13 2005, 05:43 PM
What kind of impedance are you running? Kicker makes one hell of a nice product. Strange to have trouble with them. Remember that a bridged amp "sees" half the actual impedance you present it. If you're trying to push too low a load it will cause the amp to cut out as you are describing. Also, while it's obvious, check your ground connection and make sure it's bulletproof.
Just my advice, I'm no expert, but I've had no troubles with the few (30-40) installs I've done over the years. I hope you get it sorted out.
I second this reply, either the amp can't handle the load its seeing bridged, or its overheating.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does the amp shut off, or does it just cut out for a second or two.

My amp used to go into thermal protection mode and shut off after about an hour of playing while it was bridged. No blown fuses, just overheated, even will dual cooling fans! Was running at 1.3ohms.

Once I switched it to stereo, I like the sq better, I have more headroom, can turn the gain up to about 1/4, and the thing will run all day long! Never overheated or had any problems.

Check your ground, but I'd guess its a load or heat related issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.