Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Dell X3. I need to know what I would need to get it set up for NAV. What programs, mounts, power setup, etc. Also it would be cool to know prices as well. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by JBranger@Aug 12 2005, 11:37 AM
I got a Dell X3. I need to know what I would need to get it set up for NAV. What programs, mounts, power setup, etc. Also it would be cool to know prices as well. Thanks so much!!
I got an Axim 5. I think there is a dedicated program from Dell (for about 220 bucks I think) that comes with the GPS cradle and software. I would want to give it a try as soon as I am not feeling the insurance and payment pains.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Hey, J, you need to stay in touch with your Atlanta buddies.. We might hook you up with Navi and all

PM for details...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I have an Axim x30. I downloaded Mapopolis. It's a nice free program. The maps run $100 for all of the US, or $20 per county (which makes no sense). I got my GPS receiver from Inter-Active Information on eBay for $75, and has its own power adapters. It runs on Bluetooth. I'm not sure if the x3 has Bluetooth or not though. I think you can get an SD Bluetooth adapter for about $100 though. Never used one before, so I don't know how good they are. I got a generic Pocket PC car mount off eBay for about $4. It just suctions to your windshield.

I looked into the GPS receiver that Dell came out with a little bit, but it didn't get great reviews. People said that there's cheaper stuff out there that does the same thing. But, if you'd have to spend another $100 on a Bluetooth adapter, you'd be spending the same amount as the $220 Dell GPS.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, thanks. I will be downloading Mapopolis tonight I suppose. How big of a card do I need? The X3 supports both CF and SD. It does not have bluetooth.
Oh well. I have a CF Wireless card right now and a 256 SD card I believe.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
256M card is enough to hold 5 or so states at one time. In any kind of normal operation you should not need more than that.

If you are travelling cross country you can do away with 5M of space - just load starting and destination counties and "major road maps" for the rest of the country. It's a pretty cool approach to PDA maps, and makes a lot of sense once you play with it a bit.

I got my hardware from http://www.semsons.com - did not make any sense to get bluetooth GPS receiver, since you still need to power your PDA for trips longer than 30 minutes and you need to power the receiver - so since you have wires anyway, why not get an $80 GPS kit that already includes the PDA charger and a wired receiver?

I semi-hardwired the GPS in the car - it is removable, but takes about 10 minutes to do so. The following pictures are from my Matrix, but the install in the tC is exactly the same:

http://zoltiz.com/cars/matrix/gps

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Originally posted by JBranger@Aug 15 2005, 07:36 PM
okay, so I'm a dummy.
I need to be able to power this unit while in car. Can you point me to this "wired" solution for 80 bucks?
http://www.semsons.com/itmousgpsrec.html

That's a good one. My buddy has it - I used it myself on a couple of trips when I was too lazy to pry mine out of the car.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Well, you will get a free "vent" mount - some people like it, I can't stand it, so I got one of these suction cup goosenecks and a piece of velcro from walmart and made my own little mount that can go anywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.