Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright heres the deal

CDA-9807 Head Unit 2 2V preouts, 1 4V sub preout
stock speakers for the moment
MRD-M605 Amplifier
SWR-1042D wired to 2 ohms in a .81 cubic foot sealed box

In order to get any decent amount of bass output out of the subwoofer I had to set:

Digital gain on the amplifier to .7
DB on amp to +16
Head Unit Subwoofer control to +15.

Am i missing something, why isn't 600rms busting the crap out of my ears.

·
Registered
680 Posts
The digital amp gain controls are a little misleading. The 4V preout is a maximum available output level before clipping occurs. For this to happen, you would have to have your volume at 35 w/ the sub level at 15 and a 0dB recorded signal. To put it into perspective, my system is all 4V preouts, yet I only like to turn it up to about 27 or at the very most, 30. Because you have 2V on the front and rears, your max volume level will be set at about 24. Anything higher than that and your front/rear outputs will clip. The input level of my MRD-M605 is at .5 and the BEQ is at +6dB and yet the amp still does not clip. However, if you're running it at .7, it prolly has quite a bit more power left. Take it down to bout .5 or .4 and turn the BEQ down to bout 6dB. Then set your sub level to about 9 and volume at 24. This will still give you some room to play with on your sub and yet will take advantage of the higher voltage preamp. You'll notice a big difference in output level. Also, where is the x-over set at and at what slope, 12 or 24dB/oct??? A good starting point for the x-over is to set it at 80Hz 12dB/oct and play with it from there. If its set too low and/or at 24dB/oct, you'll lose a whole bunch of output. BTW, make sure that if the subsonic filter is on that it is set to 15Hz, not at 30Hz. You would lose most of your bottom end if it was set to 30. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much much much much much better, putting the gain setting down to about .4-.5 seems to put the bass at the appropriate level, i also turned the bass boost down. However, i still usually need to keep the subwoofer control to about +15, im ok with that though.

I am working on getting everything buttoned up tomorrow then i will take some pics of everything and post them

·
Registered
680 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. You never did answer where your x-over was at. You may want to play w/ those settings as well. Also, if you still want a little control on the sub, try setting the sub level on the deck to 12 and set the input level on the amp to .3 that way you can have just a little bit of room to adjust the sub up on a track that may need a little extra boost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.