Scion tC Forums banner

Alpine Type X Subs

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  QuadinScionTC 
#1 ·
:ph34r:NEW MEMBER!!!!! anywho, Anyone Heard anything about the new alpine type x subs they have out, besides the 3000 watt power handling. i dont know how good they are at the sounds cause im currently contemplating between 1 13w7, or 2 12w6v2, or the alpines, im still trying to find the best Boom for my bucks.

See less See more
#3 ·
do you guys really use all that power? cuz seriosuly i have the bazooka one, and like i dont even put it full power, and i nkow my friend with a VERY nice set up, and like it was almost unbareable at like minimal settings, do you guys actaully listen to ur ish? or is it like show rather than useage?

#5 ·
It just depends if you want to hear the bass, or feel it, or make everyone hear it, or if you want to go deaf.

I would go with the w7's if i was you. They will produce the most boom. The alpines arent that good...

#8 ·
Alpine's trainers spend a lot of time explaining why the X is better than the W7 (in their dealer trainings). If fact, every manufacturer compares their "super woofer" to the W7. I wonder why that is.......
Personally, I don't give other manufacturers any air time during my trainings!
The ultimate comparrison can be seen at MTX website. Their woofers are better because you can plug them into the wall apparently!
Memphis was going around plugging their woofers into walls along with JL Audio. The Memphis woofer would blow up but not the JL Audio. Their arguement was the Memphis blew up first because it's a lower impedance and that makes it better! These are just some of the things I hear about every day. It's very entertaining to be me sometimes...especially when I can laugh along with the dealers!
Seriously though, the W7 is the product of 8 years of work. JL Audio looked at things that other manufacturers didn't even know was important. In fact, four of the eight years were spent developing (DMA Dynamic Motor Analysis) which allows the engineers to test a speaker dynamically in the virtual world. No other manufacturer can do this.
Maybe this means something to you, maybe it doesn't. I could tell you all the reasons why one woofer is better than another (based on fact), but people will still argue one way or another.
The Patriots are the best team in football right now. Statistically it's hard to argue (they always win), but as a Dolphin fan, I still think they suck!
If your part of the JL camp your going to tell everyone to buy JL, if your part of another camp, your going to push them. Car audio can be very tribal and I understand that. People tell me that I say what I say about JL because I work there. My response is "I could have worked for anyone...I chose to work where I do because I believe in what we do....and I like working for an American company."
The W6v2 is based on the W7 and shares most of it's PATENTED technologies. The W6v2 excels in small enclosure performance which is important if to have a TC!
If you have any questions about JL Audio, PM me.

#11 ·
Hey if anyone really wants to know how good subwoofers are, i have a HUGE explaination on how they put out the most bang for the buck. But im not going to waste my time if no one is intrested.....

#12 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry I've been out for awhile. End of quarter had me very busy trying to hit objectives. Anyway, it's good to be back.

As far as the Type-X woofers go, they are phenominal! I won't go into how many patents we hold on them, just the fact that they perform incredibly well in very small enclosures. Remember, this is a monster woofer and as with all woofers of this caliber (including the W-7) they require plenty of power to drive them sufficiently. It's recommended a minimum of 500W RMS per woofer.

The JL W-7 is also a great woofer but does require significantly larger enclosure sizes, taking up valuable space in our already small vehicles. It is also significantly more money. The performance advantages of the W-7, if any, don't outweigh the real estate requirements and cost, IMHO.

Even the Type-R's are pretty damn impressive, requiring even less airspace (.85 to 1.0 cuft sealed for the 12's), less cash and less power to drive them. These woofers would be an excellent choice for someone with these requirements. The W-6's would also be a good choice as well, but again, they require more real estate and more $$$ than the Alpine's.

I do work for Alpine and some may say that I am biased, I prefer to call it a passion, but for anyone to say that our woofers "aren't that good" has not witnessed a quality installation to demonstrate the true capabilities of our woofers.

As far as "best bang for the buck", I would definately say the Alpine's. All I can say is to go visit your local Authorized Alpine dealer and demo them first hand. Weigh ALL the pros and cons. Make up your own mind. Our products will speak for themselves.

I will add a couple of links to this reply so you can do some homework...info, specs, etc on our woofers as well as some non biased reviews. Hope all this will help. Good luck and let us know how thing turn out.

#13 ·
How loud your speakers will reproduce your amplifier's power is called senstivity. It is measured in decibles@1watt@1meter. At 1 watt, type X will put out 83 decibels. My speakers, Audiobahn 1206, put out over 2x the volume at 96.4 db/1w/1m. Every time you increase the wattage 10x, the decibel level rises by 10db, and the volume is doubled. Therefore:

``````````````Type X``````` 1206
1watt ``````````83 ``````````96.4
10watts````````` 93 ````````` 106.4
100watts ``````` 103````````` 116.4
1000watts``````` 113````````` 126.4
10000watts`````` 123(blown)```136.4(blown)

It would take 10000 watts for the type x to put out what the 1206 puts out @ 1000 watts. When buying a speaker, look at the sensitivity of it.

#14 ·
I just built an all Alpine system in my tC. I opted for the 12" Type R's. I think they sound incredible, good price, and work well with small spaces. I can t tell u how they sound in the tC yet, cause my install isnt done. Ill let you know the 19th when i pick it up after 4 weeks. Also, i have 2 D Class 500x2 mono amps, 1 to eache woofer.

#15 ·
Quadin,

We need some pics.. I am looking into what I want to do as far as an install goes.. I might opt for 1 -12 where the bazooka goes in a sealed enclosure.. maybe a ported one.. not sure yet.. i am looking for ideas... Imight go with a IDMAXX12 not sure.. I need ideas people... Alpineman got any ideas for me? I don' t necessarily need brands although I am leaning maybe at jl or eclipse or Image Dynamics for the subs.. Zapco for the amps and focal utopia for the component and 6 x9 's.. where are the 6x9's goiing you ask..

Well i am cutting, yeah sorry guys, the back panels and fitting them in there..

Any suggestions...

ryan

#16 ·
All i got is a 38x16x14 box, speakers pointing up.

#17 ·
Originally posted by QuadinScionTC@Oct 11 2004, 08:12 AM
How loud your speakers will reproduce your amplifier's power is called senstivity. It is measured in decibles@1watt@1meter. At 1 watt, type X will put out 83 decibels.  My speakers, Audiobahn 1206, put out over 2x the volume at 96.4 db/1w/1m. Every time you increase the wattage 10x, the decibel level rises by 10db, and the volume is doubled. Therefore:

``````````````Type X``````` 1206
1watt  ``````````83 ``````````96.4
10watts````````` 93 ````````` 106.4
100watts ``````` 103````````` 116.4
1000watts``````` 113````````` 126.4
10000watts`````` 123(blown)```136.4(blown)

It would take 10000 watts for the type x to put out what the 1206 puts out @ 1000 watts. When buying a speaker, look at the sensitivity of it.

I'm not going to get into a debate, however I will point out that you math is not exactly correct. If you would like me to go into detail as to why, PM me and I will explain the shortcomings of your theory. This is not the place for that discussion.

You appearantly took the sensitivity measurements from the Type-X Application Guide, but did you notice the asterisk next to that rating? At the bottom of that page the asterisk reads: "*This commonly misunderstood specification should NOT be used as a reference for subwoofer output capability".

SPL measurements are highly exaggerated by many manufacturers as there are no set standards for this measurement. The sensitivity rating will dramatically vary depending on the frequency used while measuring. Alpine only measures sensitivity in a Free-Air condition, which means no enclosure and no baffle board. As soon as you add a baffle or enclosure, SPL will increase dramatically, 10+dB easily. Therefore, this is not a valid comparison of these two woofers, your simple math just won't cut it. Besides, the Type-X woofers will outperform the 1206 in power handling and sound quality, as well as enclosure size, so again this is not a valid comparison.

#18 ·
hmmm thanks alpman. Im not dissing alpine, i love you guys. I wish there was a simple way to create spl level measurement, but you are correct, it does have to do ALOT with the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.