Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this is a question for Alpman,
Anyway I am thinking about getting a Alpine CTA-1502 cd changer commander and a 12 disk changer. (i can get a deal on them)
So what I want to know is weather I can hook this commander up and still use the head unit for quick cd changing and playing mp3 cds. If so what kind of wiring will I need to do to achieve basically 2 head units. It looks like the CTA-1502 puts out more power than the factory head unit so it would be nice to use that on my rear speakers, but its not a necesity.
thanks
Adam

·
Registered
730 Posts
It is possible to run both head units. But you will need some additional parts. I would suggest to use a hi-to-low adapter on the stock deck connected to a KCA-801B Ai-Net auxillary input adapter installed between the 12 disc and the 1502.

If you buy both the male (radio side) and female (vehicle side) wiring harnesses, you will be able to make all connections to the 1502, the amps and speakers without cutting the factory harness. The male harness will also include an extra wire which will be used as the amp turn-on lead (radio has this ability, but is not used in the factory harness). Connect the amp turn-on lead, not the power antenna lead, on this harness to the trigger lead of the 801B. That way, any time your stock deck is turned on, the aux input on the 801B will be switched on, interrupting the 12 disc changer.

Set all controls of the stock deck to flat and center. Then match the level of the stock deck to that of the 12 disc by adjusting the stock decks volume control, taking note of the number representing the volume level. Set it at that level and leave it there. You will not use the stock deck's volume control or any of it's audio controls. Main audio controls will be from the 1502 for both decks. This allows you to use either the built in power and/or the preamp of the 1502 to drive external amps.

Here is a tech sheet on the 1502 for more info:

http://www.stylestandard.net/oswego/Doc/0/...63/CTA-1502.pdf

And the KCA-801B:

http://www.stylestandard.net/oswego/Doc/0/...ation+guide.pdf

And the CHA-1214 changer:

http://www.stylestandard.net/oswego/Doc/0/...T93/CHA1214.pdf

Hope this helps. I'll see if I can find the time to make a diagram for you if you decide to move forward with it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I went ahead and got the combo (commander and changer) they were only 100 bucks, I think I got a great deal. I appreciate your help Alpman, there is one thing I am worried about and that is mounting this thing. I am finding the thought of cutting into this car verry hard to swallow. I know I can do a good job and make it look good, but its just the thought of cutting the dash up to install this commander. Do you have any suggestions for a good place to install the receiver?

Part of me is just contemplating getting a new mp3 head unit with Ai-net cd changer controls and just selling the 1502 commander.

what do you recomend?

·
Registered
730 Posts
100 bucks, WOW!!! I'll take three! What a deal...

Anyway, if you want to get trick w/ it, you could remote mount the faceplate and hide the main unit in the dash. The face could go in the top portion of the armrest or overhead, in front of the sunroof controls, like I mounted my 5.1 processor. You could also mount it in the front cupholder location. It would be easily accessible there, but you would lose the cupholders. These were all ideas I had for my 5.1 processor, obviously I chose overhead.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I would say that the armrest or anything else down by the cup holders is out of the question for me, simply because I dont want to have to look down while driving to thange the station on the tuner. However the remote mounting up at the top sounds like a good idea. But, I dont know the first thing about remote mounting a face plate and I have a feeling when everything is said and done I would have spend in excess of 150 bucks for all the special conections to hook up this changer/commander combo. It might actually be more feasible to just bite the bullet and buy a new mp3 head unit like the CAD-9847.

Would that head unit have any problems communicating with the cd changer?

Alpman, what would it take to do a remote install of the face of the command unit?

thanks guys
Adam

·
Registered
730 Posts
The 9847 will work fine w/ the 1214 changer.

The face of the 1502 is detatchable. There are contacts on the unit side and spring loaded pins on the faceplate side. Simply use stranded cat5 cable soldered pin to pin to extend it to the desired length. It should work up to about 15' or so w/o any voltage drop issues. I extended my volume knob and all my amp displays the same way and didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what is a hi-to-low adapter? I have been looking all over for one. Is it basically the same as the AudioLink PowerLink II adapter, because I have one of those?
thanks
adam

PS those KCA-801B Ai-Net auxillary input adapters are expensive, does anyone know where to get them for less than 70 bucks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.