Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First-time poster. I have enjoyed the different audio system postings on this board. This post is for Alpman and other Alpine audio buffs.

Alpine press release about 2005 CES:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/company_info/pre...005_awards.html

Most meaningful blurb:
The company's second demo car at the show, the Scion tC, was outfitted with a $1,000 Alpine system. The tC was named the “Best Sound Quality Presentation” in a vehicle, also by Car Sound and Performance magazine. The “Best Sound Quality Presentation” award is given to a vehicle or active presentation of products that promotes good sound quality in an economical and easy-to-integrate manner.

The sound system in this Scion, dubbed the “1GtC,” included an AM/FM CD/MP3/WMA head unit, amplifier, four speakers plus a 10-inch subwoofer and the award-winning adapter for iPod. With Satellite Radio Ready–capability and built-in MP3/WMA playback, the system was designed to offer a superior digital music experience and big sound, for just under $1,000.

The press release caught my attention but did little to direct me to the line up of components used in the "1GtC". Could be a great sales tool for Alpine.

Alpman, and others who may know, any idea on the components used?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nope, wasn't my car. But I was there and the system looked and sounded awesome. The Alpine website should have details on the $1K system tomorrow. This will be a three month promotion and you'll see plent more press releases and marketing presence in the near future.

The system includes the following models:

CDA-9847 CD Receiver
KCA-420I iPod Adapter (iPod not included)
SPS-171A Type-S Component Speakers (Front)
SPS-170A Type-S Coax Speakers (Rear)
MRP-M350 350 Watt Mono Block Sub Amp
SPS-1042D 10" Dual 4 Ohm Type-S Subwoofer

Total system price is $940, which still leaves room for a pre-fab box for the woofer or an amp kit for the amp. This system is absolutely perfect for the tC...and the "Best Sound Quality" trophy at CES is the proof.

BTW-For those of you looking into my sub box, this would be a great set-up for it as well. You could get the system while it's on promo and add my enclosure when it's ready.

Edit-Here's a link w/ a bit more info:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company_info/pre...Kpromotion.html

More to come soon!!!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
By the way, I can vouch for the outstanding quality of the newer Alpine stuff -- those are the exact components that I have, and I have that sub's little brother. They are GREAT! The sub is especially amazing -- hits hard, but very, very clean sounding. Thanks again, Greg!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can also vouch for the quality of that setup, it sounded awesome in that tC
I have the exact same components as the Alpine tC..
(I just need to finish the install). The show Rides on TLC also did some coverage of the Alpine tC, along with the BMW. Alot more coverage of the vehicle can be seen on that episode.
-- That tC converted me over the the Alpine world --

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No joke. If Greg can ever find a reliable source to get his box made, it would be the bargain system. Now I wish I didn't have two tCs.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Dang, I wish we would of seen the tC while there, we just checked out the killer BMW, way over the top again as they usually do. I took my son to their booth to meet Steve Brown, I have known him a few years, even judged his M3 a couple of times, great guy:)

We are just about to release a 10" underseat sub box, loaded with an Arc Audio 10, for the STI and all 04 Imprezza based Subarus. The plan is to have them made once we get them finalized, if the guy I am going to try out does a good job we will be selling alot of these, many people wating for them.

Not enough room for a good setup under the tC seats so doubt we do anything for these cars, we are trying to specialize in ultra high performance cars that others would not attempt to do this for but are getting requests for other cars now as well and may adapt our strategy a bit, no tC plans, ALPMAN is doing the best setup already:)

Rick

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was wondering ... the press release says that 6.5 speakers were used in the front and back of the tc, but when I go to sites like crutchfield to check them out, they say only 5.25 will fit in my car ... So did the guys from Alpine have to do some special modifications to get those in there? If so how involved was/is it?

Personally I would prefer the larger 6.5's, but I don't want to have to do a bunch of modification to the housings/doors etc.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i figured the 9847 was a great deal and probably sounded great.. this just confirms it.. plus it shows that alpine quality isn't that much $$$ to have something great.. best of show for about a grand? that's what I'm talking about! more reason of why i stick with alpine..

·
Registered
59 Posts
so then how come the system mentioned in this thread doesn't have a second amp powering the components?

Or are they also running off of the mono channel amp some how?

*note* i have very little knowledge in this area (as well as many others), though i'm trying to learn

·
Registered
730 Posts
The $1K system does not include an amp for the four corners. The Type-S components are quite efficient and perform very nicely with just deck power of the CDA-9847. I don't think we would have won the SQ Presentation Award at CES if running deck power to the components was a waste. While it may be ideal to run an amp to them, and you're certaintly welcome to spend more than a grand on your system, the $1K system was designed to fit that target price and another amp would have broke the bank. You could substitute as well, you do not have to stick with that exact setup. Swap an MRP-T220 2-channel amp for the KCA-420I iPod adapter. There's only about a $30 difference in the price and this amp would run the components very well. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Greg, and gtalord, perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you were running the Alpine components off the stock HU; that is what I was saying would be a waste. I guess I really should have just said that. My brain isn't working properly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.