Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have known how to drive stick since I was 17, I am 21 now. I never had a manual car of my own till now though, but I would drive other people's all the time. I seem to have found something very odd though..........

When I am coming to a stop sign I usually Push in the clutch at whatever speed I am at wether it be 15 or 40MPH and just hold in the clutch and shift it into first. However when I shift it into first via the shifter only, still holding the clutch in all the way, I hear a whining noise how it makes when you go it reverse kinda. Should I not be throwing it into first before making the stop???Am I doing something very bad?? Or..Do I need to visit my friendly dealer to see why it makes a whine when going from 30+ to first with the clutch fully pushed in??

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
you shouldn't even attempt to put it into first until your going 5mph or slower..... that grinding sound is you messing up your synchros... and you say that you hear the sound when you put it in reverse... you need to be at a full stop to put the car into reverse for you not to hear the grinding sound..... there is nothing wrong with your transmission.... for now.... but your going to need a new transmission soon if you keep shifting when your not supposed to.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think you guys have mis-diagnosed his problem. The whining sound he's hearing is probably the synchros spinning up to match the speed. Not exactly bad for the car, but will probably end up being more wear. You might want to consider shifting into 1st at a lower speed.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't shift into first unless I'm at a complete stop.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Oct 20 2005, 09:04 AM
Sometimes my car almost kicks me out of third when going 2-3, does this happen to anyone else? It is rather annoying i have ground it a few times because of this fact
I find that ever since put in the TRD short throw, sometimes when I go to shift from 1-2 it really kicks it out of first when I first tug on it.

-Ed

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Once is a rare while I get a missed shift from 2 - 3. It happens rarely with the TRD short shifter. It was far more common with the OEM shifter.

It's mostly ergonomic. If I could reposition the relative distances of the pedals, shifter, and steering wheel I would. THey are not well set up for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've had the mis-shift into third on a couple occasions. Even had 4th kick the shifter back one time. I think part of my problem has to do with the shoes I wear for work. I get like no feedback from the pedals, I think the soles are too hard. My casual shoes, I can feel everything and I think I drive much better with them. But as Lo Bux said, I think the pedal placement needs reworked slightly. I need a little more space specially for the gas pedal.

·
Registered
847 Posts
does anyone have problems shifting into reverse occasionally?

i have problems shifting into reverse, even at a stand still... it feels as though someone has put a piece of metal where reverse should be... it happens nearly consistently when i start my car in the morning and have to back out of the garage and sometimes when i get out of work and back out of the parking spot... any ideas or is this just normal for the tranny?

btw.. it never makes a grinding noise when it doesnt shift into reverse... it just seems like it isnt there...

·
Registered
203 Posts
If I hear you right josurr, any gear can do that when stopped. Keep it in neutral and roll the car an inch or so to open up the gear.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You can also let the clutch out with it in neutral, it should help it to line up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My tC is also ailed by the reverse not being there ocasionally.

The good news is this is completely normal. The owners manual even says that this can sometimes occur. The manual says to put the car in neutral, let the clutch out, push the clutch back in and try reverse again. Works every time for me!

Also, this seemed to happen more when my tC was newer, but now with 26,000 miles, it hasn't happened in a couple months.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Completely normal for any manual. My Supra does this, and every manual I've owned has done it as well. No surprise there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed that with other manuals I've owned, the transmission doesn't even allow you to try to go into first until you are at pretty low speeds. But since driving my tC, it has let me slide right into first at much higher speeds like 15 - 20 mph. Mind you, when I notice I am in first at these speeds, I don't engage the clutch, i just say oops and move it into second. Is this a flaw or intended?

·
Registered
847 Posts
thats most likely a problem with yours... i have to force mine into first (if i really, really need/have to) when im at 10mph or higher after shifting out of 1st (i.e. morning/evening rush hour traffic) so generally i keep it in 2nd until i come to a complete stop or drop below 10mph, then i engage 1st... otherwise i get the whining noise of the syncros matching the speed which causes unnecessary stress on them and the tranny...

i would have that looked at IMO...

·
Registered
202 Posts
My SRT is the first "Domestic" I've owned and also the first car I haven't had to man handle into reverse. I used to drive around a Paseo that was THE worst I've ever had as far as reverse goes. *shrug

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
When i know im coming to a stop, regardless of how fast im going or what gear im in i just put it in nuetral and get on the brake. Is this bad for the tranny or totally fine? and when ever i put it into second i have to let of the cluth slower than any other gear ( except first obviously ) or else the car jerks a bit roughly. Any help?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.