Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have been looking at a lot of intakes the only ones i see that are decent are the

k&n typhoon cai - which isn't too much money and looks like quality

injen cai - donno much about seems like a good company but a lil more pricey then k&n

secret weapon r intake - dont have a clue about seems cheap in price maybe in quality as well?

what do u all think

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Had K&N for couple of days - very well built kit, as usual, but sold it because it was scary loud. So far I'm sticking with my "custom" short ram - basically a cone filter instead of the stock airbox - not too loud, but still fun.

Intakes with their minimal gains should be in the "Sound" forum

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eh i should use search more

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm doing a custom one 2 like zoltis it's very cheap it cost ya only $70. If you are intrested in the short ram just do a lil research here on the forum you will find what zoltis did.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
zoltiz and I both had the K&N on our respective cars -- his is a manual and mine is an automatic. We both thought the intake was loud as crap, and it provided no noticeable improvement or difference in performance. It was so loud that I had a headache within 60 seconds of low-speed driving. I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't like intakes that sound like crap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
got the injen intake and its really nice. if you leave it as short ram its quite LOUD once you hit 4k and up. in full CAI form its quieter and the gains are good. short ram gives better throttle response but cai gives better top end and overall performance, at least, thats what my butt dyno told me.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Seriously, though, the K&N is really, really loud. Also, the listed power gain is somewhat misleading if you already have a K&N or TRD air filter, since you'll have to take that off to use the K&N intake.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Please please please don't tell me that you can tell a 3-4% increase in the car's horsepower just by driving it around.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I really like my Injen CAI. Sound is great & there is a slight noticeable hp gain in higher rpm's

·
Registered
658 Posts
LOL. It's funny how some ppl this days think that an intake will give them more hp on NA car. It does, but it's not much and and it's not noticebleable. I'm doing my intake, cuz it will help the car breath better. And it looks better then that stock air box. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am also thinking of doing a "custom" short ram. My question is: for those who have done this already was their any difficulites and what is the best filter to use? I know that K&N makes a good filter, but is this the best to use. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Weapon R and love it!! As soon as I put it in I found the power difference VERY noticable. Also the intake whistles when you step on the gas (and it is a cool, not annoying whistle). I would highly recommend. It also looks way cool in the engine compartment.....i've got many compiments from friends! Good luck!

BTW creativecompacts.com $199.00!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm the weapon R is cheap in price..i was curious on that one

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by reverendericd@Jun 21 2005, 01:48 PM
I have the Weapon R and love it!! As soon as I put it in I found the power difference VERY noticable.
Butt dyno or real dyno? I seriously doubt it made a big difference in anything but sound. In fact, I'd wager I could get the same results (or better) by just removing the OEM paper filter and either leaving it out or replacing it with an oil/gauze filter.

I'm also very curious what the IAT is using one of these metal pipe intakes after sitting for 20 or 30 seconds in summer weather.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.