Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there.. my boyfriend who's a detailer helped me wax my car for the first time the other day. It looks great but we had both noticed with the car so far that all the dust/dirt ends up all on the hatchback. He said that it looked like the back window had some static also. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem too.. and if anyone knows of any product i can use on the back window to decrease the static characteristic. Anything would be helpful but I'm sure the wax coat will definitely help too.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
It is just the flow characteristics of most cars to settle there. You have a flow of air going over the top of the car, the second the area drops out from underneath the flow you get perturbance in the flow, huge pressure deltas and the heavy dust particles are allowed to "fall" out of the slowing flow. The flow then picks up speed right over the trunk but then gets large turbulence and vorticity coming off the back end..all in all, you won't be able to stop it, and there isn't much you can do to help prevent it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Vorticity. What an awesome word.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Im an aerospace engineer, i know all about flows....i actually did my senior project on how to get rid drag, and that exact pressure loss she is referring to, it is a bitch, and can be done, but only for straights, you can't hold the lower drag while turning (which is good and bad). Vorticity is a good word, but i still think pertubation sounds much dirtier

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow.. that's pretty intense there.. i think i get it. my major is neurobiology physiology and behavior.. i'm taking physics right now.. maybe i'll learn a little about that! anyhoo thanks for the help..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
neato... the start of the dip going down from the top of the roof to the rear of the car has a pretty big drop in wind speed.... interesting... now i dont feel like i am waisting 1.5 hours of my life sitting in the library waiting for my next class....

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
So there's a very strong downforce component just behind the break of the roof line, eh? And another one at the transition from the hood line to the windshield? It would be very valuable to have this information for the stock tC to know where the high pressure regions are...

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I've had my tC for a little less then 2 months. I love the car! It's drives great and is just simply fantastic. Here's my issue, I've noticed that a lot of dirt gathers on the rear window and back end. I don't have either the spoiler or the lip so I'm wondering if people that have these are having the same issue.

I realize that the aerodynamics of the car basically creates a lovely tunnel right there, but is there a way to get rid of it? I'm very picking about my car. It must be clean at all times and this is just killing me! Thanks for all who post!

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
viva, that is this topic.....

And EmpyreanBerry there is only one way to get rid of it, and you can't afford it, so don't even consider it. There is a microscopic riblet film produced by 3M they used to put on some planes for testing, they also put it on the america's cup racer, the stars and stripes. This film has the height of roughly .3 mils and will keep the pressure a little more constant, but at several thousand per square yard it isn't a smart or economical choice, plus im not sure you would want to put it on windows, at least ones you need to see out of. Just buy a california duster and deal with it, thats about your only option.

Edit: if you notice the graph above, the pink line is with the film installed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nothing will prevent it entirely, unfortunately.

If you ever go with the Zaino system, the Z6 spray is anti-static and helps a lot. It also makes your car so slick that the dust won't stick so much.

But again, even with Zaino, the car just tends to get dirty there first. Just be thankful our cars are so easy to wash compared to others.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Man, I thought I was getting a bit anal about keeping her clean. A daily Z6 user! Holy &#%^!

Now I know why in the Zaino FAQ they have that question about whether you can use Z8 everyday. It's guys like you.

Seriously though, I can't agree with you more on the Zaino love. Mine stays in a garage most of the time, so I don't really require a daily dose of Z6 or anything like that, but I do use it somewhat frequently on occasions where I notice that dust on the back building up, or when some crazy bird has the nerve to foul (or should I say fowl?) my paint. It keeps it perfect between washes, that's for sure.

Care to share your experiences with Z8 with us? I know I'd be interested in what it's like, how much further it takes the gloss over the Z6, what it is like to apply, ect. You might want to start another thread specific to Z8 though. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate your views on the product. I'm interested, for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.