Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I have been looking at getting an air intake for awhile now but I just noticed something last night. I look at two different ones, K&N and Ingen, and at the bottom of the description it said, "For Off Road Use Only!". Ummmm, what does that mean? I'm not very noligable when it comes to engines and stuff, can anyone tell me why it says this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
it means your not supposed to use it on the road.... aka, not smog legal... it's just something the companies say to cover their behind so that you dont complain to them when a cop gives you a fix it ticket

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
It means if you get pulled over, and the cop is being a particular hardass, he can give you a ticket for having the part installed, and even have you sent to the State Smog Ref. to determine what other actions/fines you will have to take. Welcome to Cali.

If your car is bone stock, you're over 30, and you look like a stockbroker, they'll never even look.

If you're 20-ish and have any exterior mods (or god forbid, stickers), you may be asked to open the hood.

It's a "take your chances" issue.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by hamster@Sep 16 2005, 06:07 PM
it means your not supposed to use it on the road.... aka, not smog legal... it's just something the companies say to cover their behind so that you dont complain to them when a cop gives you a fix it ticket
Yes it is just a disclaimer so the company won't be held responsible if you're going to fast and crash or something happens. But it has nothing to do with smog or exhaust emissions! Its an intake! Technically, its against the law to do any aftermarket mods to your car, therefore the company has to say its for off road use only. Nothing to do with smog...sorry.

PS. its Injen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.