Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had a few questions about alarms

1. Has anyone gotten an alarm installed(not the scion security)?

2. What brand did you use?

3. Any trouble with it?

4. Would you recommend Best Buy to install a alarm system?

I saw a post awhile back relating to alarms but it had to do with lowering your insurance rates.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I've have a Clifford G4 in my Celica and will be getting a Viper that I can upgrade to the 2-way for the tC... both great alarms (same company I believe) and I would not have Best Buy install anything in a car... The installers at the one by my office are little punks who glare at you if you drive by the back of the store... I would only trust an authorized installer who specializes in alarms and has been doing it for years...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I would recommend a Viper alarm (or anything made by DEI, such as Rattler, if they still make those). If you go with Viper, like Eric said, make sure that they are authorized to install Viper alarms -- not only do you risk them screwing it up otherwise, but having your Viper system installed by anyone other than an authorized Viper installer automatically voids your warranty from DEI.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed a Code Alarm CA645. Pretty straight forward install. The knee bolster air bag kind of bugged me but no problems. Best Buy isn't the best place to have anything installed. I work for their competitor as a Sales & Installation Manager. They tend to cut corners and use cost reducing materials during installations. DEI is a good brand, we used to carry them. There are, like everything, some issues that they have. Typically the higher end 690xv and 790xv have some antenna trouble. Their warranty is pretty standard with most alarm companies. Lifetime. This doesn't include remotes though, so be sure if you go with a two way to let the remote hang out of your pocket. The moisture and rigors it goes through in your pocket will cause damage. Then you'll spend $80 for a new one and get mad. I posted the tech sheet for an alarm install on here. If you have any questions just ask.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
sarsipius, I'm going to guess that you work for xxxxxxxxx?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Aug 17 2004, 02:28 PM
sarsipius, I'm going to guess that you work for xxxxx?
Something tells me hes trying to keep that private.

Edit: Dont want anyone getting fired, although I know its a stretch from just one post on the internet. Nobody did anything wrong, just covering all bases. - T

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on Best Buy then. How do i know other places are authorized to install the alarm?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by e rock@Aug 17 2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll pass on Best Buy then. How do i know other places are authorized to install the alarm?
Many places will advertise that they are authorized in by window adveristing or in that department. If I were you, I would simply call around and ask.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by ufgatorfan+Aug 17 2004, 06:39 PM-->QUOTE (ufgatorfan @ Aug 17 2004, 06:39 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-e rock
@Aug 17 2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info.  I'll pass on Best Buy then.  How do i know other places are authorized to install the alarm?
Many places will advertise that they are authorized in by window adveristing or in that department. If I were you, I would simply call around and ask. [/b]
That's what I did. If you go to the store, they should have something to show you from DEI showing that they're authorized installers. Amongst national chains, Circuit City is NOT authorized (anymore), and I don't believe that Best Buy is either (at least not all of their stores). Hifi Buys is authorized -- despite my longstanding dislike for them, that's where I'm getting my Viper installed this weekend.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would highly recommend researching a little more before you decide to turn your car over to a national chain store. Try the Yellow Pages and find someone who specializes in high end audio/security systems. Ask questions, how long in business, istallation warranty info, request to talk to their lead installer. Don't be a cheap-ass when it comes to securing your investment. Pay the extra cash for a quality install.

Thoroughly read my replies in this thread:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...st=0&#entry8046

It explains alot on why you should spend the extra dough.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for the tips alpman. i printed out that thread and i'm going to call around this weekend to find a place

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah thanks Alpman. Great info from someone with experience. I hate to change the focus.. but how are alpine alarms? I have a friend who is the sales manager of a local Electronics store and he could get me an alpine alarm at cost. He insists that they are the best.... but I'd like to get your opinion on them also.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Alpine discontinued it's security line a year ago. The most recent model was an SEC-150R, with dual shock and dual radar. It was a good system and retail on that model was $300 installed. If you can get it for about $100, that would be a good price. Install should run about $100 - $150.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Lojack with early warning? I live in an area that I'm pretty sure is well covered by Lojack, and the early warning is supposed to get past the problem of having to notice your car is gone first, which may not occur all that immediately. I think you can get that plus an alarm system as well.

I'm more concerned about break-ins than actual theft of the car. I don't drive every day and I park on the street in a very crowded area for street parking. I'm not getting any fancy audio equipment or anything, but you never know. There's a pretty good mandatory insurance discount in my state with Lojack (not sure what the deal is with GPS, probably similar), and my dealer sells it, so it seems like the path of least resistance.

I've heard of some who have Lojack plus other alarms, but I can't find out much about Lojack's separate alarm system. I've seen pricing for the basic Lojack + early warning and Lojack + alarm, but I can't seem to find out whether you can get the basic Lojack with early warning along with the Lojack alarm system. I know it's all pricey--if I lived in the farm town I grew up in I'd probably not get something all that fancy, but I live in the middle of Boston, so I'm not looking to skimp.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You need to find out if your local PD has the Lojack equipment. W/O it, it will do you no good. The PD must have the tracking equipment installed in their vehicles in order to track your car.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
At my dealer, Lojack was $750. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the Lojack "alarm system." From what my dealer offered, Lojack was just a vehicle location service.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The alarm is an upgrade you can get with the basic Lojack locator system--but I'm not sure how good of an alarm it is. The early warning is also an upgrade to the basic Lojack system. Being completely neurotic, I'd be inclined to get all three, but I'm not sure you can do that. I'm thinking perhaps the Lojack with early warning plus some fashion of DEI alarm might work. Of course, I'd also be inclined to build an inpenetrable dome around the car and sleep inside of it, if this wouldn't result in my immediate committment to a mental institution.

Barring that, I'll just go overboard with the security, since there have been a fair number of break-ins in my neighborhood lately. The two-way pagers with the half-mile or mile reach aren't really going to help me much, since I don't drive to work, where I spend most of my life. I'm also a bit concerned about oversensitive shock sensors--as people's cars that wouldn't shut up have been towed when enough people complain (bad memory of alarm that went off at all hours for 3 days straight outside of my window).

This whole car angst thing is completely new to me. I'm hoping once I actually get the car in a couple of weeks I'll calm down and get a grip.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think Clifford makes an alarm with GPS service... where they could track your car also.... I don't know how that compares with lojack though...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts