Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Was curious to know if there were any affordable ways to add a little HP here and there on my new Scion tC? Im kinda out of the loop on what can be done to 4-cyl. engines these days.

My last car was an old '79 Firebird Trans Am, which i dont miss at all, but at least i knew what to do give it some bark. Headers, cams, flowmasters (does flowmaster even make exhaust for 4 cylcs?)....all that muscle car stuff, but now im a bit out of my league trying to keep up with the new gen.

Basically, when i bought this, i was hoping to add about 40-60hp without spending over $2k. Im not looking to win any races, i just love to drive anything sporty, especially when it looks this good
I was surprised i was able get a 2nd gear scratch out this little thing. So i figured, "What the heck, maybe i can burn some rubber goin in 3rd." Will this ever be a reality?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
40-60hp would have to be FI, and FI is more in the range of $3K (then again you can get a warrantied 60whp for around $3K when SC comes out - which is better than almost impossible task of gaining 60whp on NA 4-cyl for under $2K)

So yeah, save up another $1K and go with TRD SC - 60K mile warranty, 60whp, and will probably be under $3K installed if you shop around.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Your post is a little confusing, Zoltiz...

First of all, a supercharger IS forced induction...

Second, I doubt the supercharger will add 60whp.

Third, nobody knows the price yet.

Hack_TC - You'll have to wait until after the SEMA show next month to find out what you'll be able to do with this car for $2k.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
> First of all, a supercharger IS forced induction...

Did I say otherwise?

> Second, I doubt the supercharger will add 60whp.

TRD SC added 60whp on a 1.8L - what can prevent it from doing the same on 2.4L?

> Third, nobody knows the price yet.

All TRD SCs for 6cyl and smaller engines can be purchased for around $2500 if you take your time and shop around. Install is anywhere from $300 to $500, again depending on your negotiation skills.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Don't get so defensive...

You didn't say a SC wasn't FI, but your post was a little confusing about that.

I'll wait until the SC is actually OUT before I start telling people how much power it'll add and how much it'll cost.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
[hijack]
trd

I have seen posts on Superchargers on this site for a while now. And i see the same questions all the time.

price? WHP?

look. I understand the excitment, i really do. So, to help things out a little bit I attached a link to TRD's web site. It has enough information about the other superchargers that TRD puts out to draw your own conclusions.

The fact of the matter is, nobody knows anything, and won't untill it comes out.

Trust me. As soon as The TRD supercharger comes out for the tC sombody will post every little bit of information that is available.
[/hijack]

·
Registered
228 Posts
i like the [hijack] [/hijack] tag

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think i'd consider the supercharger, but like everyone else, i have to wait and see what type of gains it will really provide. I'm excited to see how this whole thing pans out!

·
Registered
130 Posts
i can't believe no one suggested it yet.

if you wanna stay somewhat n/a. my route with your budget would be:

cai, exhaust, headers. *it wont give you a ton but it helps. everything helps*
Then just throw in a 55 65 or 75 shot Nitrous. and there ya go. the power you wanted when you want it, for under 2 g.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yup. Everybody forgot about laughing gas... That would definitely add 60hp+ for way under $2K initial investment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. A lot of little things to help was mainly what i was aiming for.

Wasnt sure if there were simple things like high performance air filters, or racing chips, i even heard of something like a fuel line pressure booster or something like that. Once again, i claim ignorance on anything i mention cause im simply an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Would CAI and better exhaust actually make a big difference in these 4 cylinders, especially in terms of sound? Nothing like a car that sounds good.

Thanks again for the info guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by Hack_tC@Oct 11 2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies. A lot of little things to help was mainly what i was aiming for.

Wasnt sure if there were simple things like high performance air filters, or racing chips, i even heard of something like a fuel line pressure booster or something like that. Once again, i claim ignorance on anything i mention cause im simply an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Would CAI and better exhaust actually make a big difference in these 4 cylinders, especially in terms of sound? Nothing like a car that sounds good.

Thanks again for the info guys.
yeah i was suggesting intake exhaust purely for sound. it will get you the races, where your nitrous will be needed.

also. Do not buy anything fuel tuning related. I dont think anyone has done a a/f graph of the TC. go to a dyno and get that done first. then see if your car even needs improvements.

Some cars have an awful a/f ratio graph and some have a great one.

a cai + exhaust may net you 8-10 whp.w/ headers maybe 15. dont know yet i dont think anyone does.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts