Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AEM intake is legal in 50 states,
but Injen intakes are for off-road use only.

so which one has better performance??
i'm guessing the off-road use Injen intakes,
but do they have really a difference??

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
this topic has been discussed at great length here in the engine modifications forum. a quick search will yeild you faster results.

but, really, no intake really makes a difference except for noise. at least in this application.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Definatley. The injen are illegal? I was told they were legal.. anyway if it is illegal it probably is because it generates too loud of a sound.. so go for AEM.. seriously though i could have sworn INJEN was legal. I'll check up on it..

·
Registered
166 Posts
The K&N isn't too bad either...is quite loud around 3500 rpm though

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
i don't think K&N has put as much time and effort into researching as much as AEM and INJEN has honestly..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go with the injen. Mainly because the AEM does not exist and probably never will. In a quest to get a CARB legal intake, they have found that it doesn't prove enough hp gains to be worth it. Even if this intake comes out it will probably give the least amount of gains of all the intakes available. If you don't believe me look it up @ McGeorgeparts.com. It has a part number but it is not released. Me personally, I would go with the weapon R and probably will. The only thing is that i don't want my intake to cause a low end torque loss. This is a problem with intakes that suck in air and lean out the AF mixture at lower rpms. I don't know how extreme the problem is as I have never had an intake and am new to this whole engine mod game. I just have read everything there is to read in order to have the knowledge to begin engine modification and this perhaps has made me over cautious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
all C.A.I,'s for the tc are carb pending at this time.
so none are legal at least for sure in Cali.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by BIGRK@Nov 4 2005, 06:34 AM
Even if this intake comes out it will probably give the least amount of gains of all the intakes available.
imho, no intake can varify actual performance improvements that cannot be duplicated by running a second or third dyno with temperature changed a couple degrees, or any other variable being altered, of which there are many. all this "which intake" stuff is kinda useless. nothing provides any gain worth the cost, and/or the trouble of a ticket in CA. you are paying for a noise maker. save your dollars for a legal mod that actually makes a difference in your vehicles performance.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
IMNSHO, I agree with Damon. If you want to do something with an intake, look at Dr. Isotope's solution. Cheap, effective, and actually does something measurable on a consistent basis.

I seriously doubt the claims made by the aftermarket companies, and I believe I could achieve the same results by simply changing the air filter element.

You'd be shocked how small a hole can flow enough air for 160 hp, or even 250 hp. Remember, Nextel Cup cars with restrictor plates are making neary 500 hp with only four 29/32" holes. It just so happens to be 2.58 square inches total. A single 2.5" hole is 4.91 square inches. It should be an absolute no brainer to figure the OEM intake never flows full capacity, so putting a bigger tube on it adds nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.