1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
187 Posts
It looks like a gimmick.....but if its not..... could be cool.

Btw, does anyone know if there will be a chip available for the Tc?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
My vote is "gimmick."

And as far as the performance chip goes, I've already seen crappy $2 chips advertised for the tC on eBay...

·
Registered
425 Posts
not a gimmick, but a cheap mod you can do yourself.

this is the same as the ebay "chip" thing someone posted a while ago, but this one is adjustable. most likely the dial adjusts a potentiometer that changes the resistance value. if you read the description, the product claims to modify the IAT value, which is the intake air temperature. like i said, sounds to me like it is the exact same thing as what someone posted before, but adjustable.

when you modify your intake air temperature, your ecu will be tricked into adjusting your settings (timing, possibly fuel too) which makes it feel like you're getting more power. it will add some horsepower, but you can do this mod at home yourself...

·
Registered
999 Posts
looks like a potentiometer
variable resistance

basically some people sell those resisters that you put across the wires on your MAF

whereas this one, looks like you plug it into some terminal connections on your ECU and play with the resistance signals that the ECU expects
or the OBD-II port

when you "dial" you vary the resistance and fake out the ECU, thinking that it's getting one signal when it's not

that HP gain is produced by making the car run rich, almost the same as if you just pressed on the gas a little more

like adam said, it's fake[/b]
And I will believe those words.

Off topic.
Those stupid chips say "the chip tricks your engine into thinking colder air is coming in" It's great and all, but the extra fuel is useless without the actual cold air coming in. It makes your car run rich, but no HP gains.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Cars usually already runs rich to the point where it delivers max HP; I don't know about the tC.

If you SET your car up to run richer, you'd get HP gains. But on a stock, if you richen the a/f ratio, you'd just lose power and gas mileage.*

*Depending if the tC is already running as rich as it can.

·
Registered
614 Posts
doing any kind of ECU tricking is too scary for me. it might void your warrantee and it might ruin you engine. i'm not sure at all about either one of those things but i say why take the risk? besides, i don't know about you guys but i don't even have my intake or my trd muffler yet and i am always the first off the line when a red light turns green where i am first in the lane.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by imasaf@Aug 24 2004, 12:45 PM
Wouldn't something like this totally void your factory warranty?
Yes. Notice how they claim that it won't void your warranty because you can just remove it. That doesn't mean it wouldn't void your warranty...it just means you might be able to defraud the dealer into thinking it was a problem you didn't cause. In any case, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the type of thing dealers have seen before and would know how to look for...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Oh, one another thing about this product -- they claim that there's no way it can damage your car's engine or other parts because it never allows your engine to exceed the manufacturer's specified maximums. This is clearly only reassuring if you trust some $50 piece of junk from a no-name company to actually work right..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha, good point, basilisk4.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I used to register fake ebay user IDs, "buy" this kind of "20HP chip" crap from these eBay frauds and leave them a bucket full of negative feedback. But since they are still selling, it means that there still are gullible people out there who believe that you can buy 20hp for $10 and not mess up your car.

Unichip (a $700 real ecu piggyback chip) barely produces 10hp gain on normally aspirated 4-bangers. And these pricks are trying to sell 20hp for $10-50... I wish I could meet them in person...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts