Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to find out what would be a better purchase. I just got my TC about 3 days ago. The stock stereo is not impressive especially when in TC mode SSP. The base sounds terrible. I want to keep my steering wheel controls and i'm not sure if there is a head unit that will replace the one it comes with and still maintain the steering wheel buttons. So with that, I am trying to find out if it would be better money to add an amp to the speakers (depending on how much they stock speakers can hold, not sure what they if anyone can fill me in) or just changing the original speakers. i'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I just want to have a nice bass to my music but nothing big, just a decent amount. If anyone can advise which way to go would be better I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
There are headunits that can handle steering wheels controls, do a search and you will find them on this site, there are many posts about them. I would replace the speakers first, then down the road add an amp to the aftermarket speakers. Search around and there are many discussion on speakers people are using as well as pictures of installs, and alpman even sells adapters so the speakers fit in the stock holes.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Adding an amp to the factory speakers will do little except insure that you will need new speakers very soon. If it's a choice between the two, I would definitely recommend replacing the speakers. The problem with replacing the stock speakers and retaining the stock HU, however, is that the stock HU simply is not powerful enough to drive aftermarket speakers well. In other words, for it to be worth the bother, you'd probably be best served replacing the stock speakers and adding an amp.

Or, if you're really just looking for bass, you could add a small (10") sub and amp.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Agreed, my amp is still sitting in my closet though waiting to get put it...it may wait until spring now
I think that a sub might be a good addition to him, with the stock stereo a infinity basslink would be a good option, they complement stock stereos well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Get rid of the stock HU, Speakers, and amp the new ones, You'll be set. Stock HU eqing makes up for lack of in the speakers, so take one out, you'll be left with the other one......

Take both out, you'll be golden.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken@Oct 28 2005, 10:56 AM
I just replaced my HU, speakers and amped it all and you can't even imagine how much better it sounds.
Yes, I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.