Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my superwhite tc last saturday and i love it!! its nice and smooth and i can feel that this is one torquey engine..... the only thing i dont' like about it is the low redline it has.... ny one if there are any ecu mods, or engine mods that can increase the redline of the car? has it ever been done ? i know from my friends 02 civic si , when he reflashed his ecu w/ hondata it increased his redline from 6800 to 7800, and made a very noticable improvements in his quarter mile and 0-60 times... i know its a honda and they are know for more higher end power, but i hope after marker will have something for the tc to increase its redline.... that would kickass.....also i know for the ser spec v, sport compact car complained about its low redline, but w/ after market valve springs, they said you can increase and it makes that beast a monster, cuase its good torque and highend power

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Aug 26 2005, 12:31 AM
I thought there was gonna be a hoodlift question in here.

Redline is redline. It's there because the manufacturer put it there, the engineer's decided that was the safest/longjevity point met with the highest rev point.

Can you change it? Probably. No one has so far, it's controlled by the computer, which toyco protects the code of like it's a pair of nuclear triggers...

Besides, the length of the travel the piston makes up and down is long, longer than these honda's with high rev's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
just improving your ECU to make your vehicle redline later does not improve the strength of your head gasket...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by iRoq@Aug 26 2005, 12:05 PM
point of redline has little to do with performance level of a car. for example, look at the 263 hp low 14 second 2006 eclipse which redlines at 6500.
well it depends on the car.... cuase i know for honda-s (known for highend power) it makes a very BIG difference... thas why i was wondering if anybody made anything like that for the tc and if you could do that w/ the tc, imagaine going to 60mph just in second gear?? that'll cut of your 0-60 time by alot.... but i guess if there sin't nything out there for this kind of car thas cool, still like the torque

·
Registered
576 Posts
Originally posted by ignitionr34+Aug 27 2005, 01:08 AM-->QUOTE (ignitionr34 @ Aug 27 2005, 01:08 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-iRoq
@Aug 26 2005, 12:05 PM
point of redline has little to do with performance level of a car. for example, look at the 263 hp low 14 second 2006 eclipse which redlines at 6500.
well it depends on the car.... cuase i know for honda-s (known for highend power) it makes a very BIG difference... thas why i was wondering if anybody made anything like that for the tc and if you could do that w/ the tc, imagaine going to 60mph just in second gear?? that'll cut of your 0-60 time by alot.... but i guess if there sin't nything out there for this kind of car thas cool, still like the torque [/b]
For christs sake, the fact that honda's rev higher have nothing directly to do with the power they make, it's because it's a completely different engine, and they have much shorter stroke lengths, it only makes' sense for those engines to rev higher, with the development of v-tec they found a way to boost that high end power even higher. Raising the redline of the tC would do NOTHING besides (aside from destroying your engine) delay the shift points. Go look a a dyno sheet for the tc, the power peaks around 6000 Hp, you start to lose power quickly after that. Sure, you can still accelerate, but at an exponentially slower pace the higher you would go past 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by ignitionr34+Aug 26 2005, 11:08 PM-->QUOTE (ignitionr34 @ Aug 26 2005, 11:08 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-iRoq
@Aug 26 2005, 12:05 PM
well it depends on the car.... cuase i know for honda-s (known for highend power) it makes a very BIG difference... thas why i was wondering if anybody made anything like that for the tc and if you could do that w/ the tc, imagaine going to 60mph just in second gear?? that'll cut of your 0-60 time by alot.... but i guess if there sin't nything out there for this kind of car thas cool, still like the torque [/b]
2nd gear on 60mph? that would be HONDA NSX.............and yes the TC redline too soon.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah, my celica relined a little later... im getting used to this car though, not that i have redlined it yet but i did the celica quite a few times...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Scion tC redline can be safely raised. We run 6850 on the street everyday and rev to approx. 7250 on our gray car. The only way to raise the redline is with the Greddy Emanage or the Unichip. The Emanage is a much more efficient way to do this but the Unichip is a descent device if tuned correctly.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by ZPIracing@Aug 27 2005, 01:18 PM
The Scion tC redline can be safely raised. We run 6850 on the street everyday and rev to approx. 7250 on our gray car. The only way to raise the redline is with the Greddy Emanage or the Unichip. The Emanage is a much more efficient way to do this but the Unichip is a descent device if tuned correctly.
Safely raised without immediate self destruction. There is a cost: shorter ring life. There's a long thread about all of this somewhere, I'm too lazy to look right now, but with the OEM redline, Toyco is being very conservative, as they usually are.

However, arbitrarily raising redline without some other supporting mods is pointless. Torque falls quickly on the stock configuration above 6000 rpm, so you'd need to make some other changes to the basic engine's ability to breathe to get more by spinning it up.

7250 is still very reasonable, and about 7500 you start getting into the Type R mean piston speeds, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect you could run a 7500 rpm redline for a quite awhile if you are willing to live with shorter ring life, and know that there are no Toyco sponsored overbores for the 2AZ, meaning if you need to rebuild and the bores are shot, you'll need to get the aftermarket to make replacement pistons for you.

(I'd still like to shorten the stroke to 82mm, lengthen the rods, and spin the thing up to 8800 rpm, I just don't know if the head has enough meat to support the kind of porting I'd want to do then...)

·
Registered
72 Posts
How far up the redline goes doesnt mean you will have power. Your car power band might just drop completly off after like 6000rpm(just a reference) so upping it to go to like 7grand is worthless. cause you will be loosing power and slowing down.
It all depends on the power band and where it drops off as well.
hell my XRunner only revs to 5400 redline and it puts down with my mods about 300lb trq to crank and around 260-265hp to the crank. It makes plenty of power in its powerband. It sucks it has such a low redline. If I was able to raise it and my peak trq comes in at 3800 I dont know where it drops off lets say 6000rom again and i can push it to 6500rpm that is a waste cause you will just be loosing power. Usually the redline is there because of the powerband and so motor dont go boom.

Hope my ramblings helps someone

·
Registered
72 Posts
the ONLY real way reving higher would help is if. you replaced your springs, new cams, maybe a shorter stroke..Something that would be able to handle a higher rev.
I say who cares as long as its makeing the power and has a nice power band. get a T/C or a S/C and that redline issue wont matter cause the boost will be making you plenty power

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.