Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want some subs that will turn my car into a giant vibrator but the ones i want i would need a bigger alternator and new batterys and wireing and all that good stuff, what could i get that would hit hard without having to get all that extra crap? would 2400RMS subs hit any harder than 800RMS(i think this might be a stupid questions)?

· Registered
71 Posts
yes, more subs will always be louder than more watts. same goes for the size of the subs. the only problem with big subs like 15 or 18's is the level of destortion you will get. 12's are the best all around sub for loudness and quality. its all about surface area.

· Registered
453 Posts
agreed...from a guy that has that setup

viva solobarics....

· Registered
453 Posts
think of the weakest and quietest stereo ever......

...complete opposite

· Registered
509 Posts
High wattage doesn't mean good sound or performance. Lets say something has a rating for 2400 watts, how long does the subwoofer last before it starts to distort. This is how my previous expierance has been.

I have used those square subwoofers and they blew apart on me. Had some other rockfords but they started smoking (litterally)

I finally found a brand that I like, but I'll tell you what the secret to great car audio is. Speaker placement and your box. Yes that box will make or break your system.

Also when your looking for subwoofers look at the magnet size. If you have a 15" subwoofer with a 50oz magnet I can gurantee you it sucks. My new 12" subwoofer has a 300oz magnet thats 10" tripple stacked. the magnet is almost as big as the subwoofer itself. Really if you want a hard hitting system and don't mind spending the cash get a MaAudio X2 12 and a HK2000D amp. Now if you really want to get big. There are subwoofers out there that one of them can sound as good as 2 or 3 other regular subs. Just make sure you spend some time on your box, do the math and build it to spec!

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Well Sir although I may not agree with what you say I will defend to the death your right to say it....

I personally like the sound of the solobarics and I have never had or heard them breaking on anyone unless you put them through satans place. But your right about the magnet size and how the acutal size of the woofer does not matter whatsoever its all about the quality not quantity. And it is all possible that you may have had a bad experience which we all have. I had a bad experience recently with Phoenix Gold and I will probably never use there products again, but I guess thats not really fair to them, but its just how I see it. Just like how you saw that solobarics didn't work in your situation.

All these brands are great but based on others experiences you make your own decision.

If you want something that is going to make your car a vibrating machine, get something with a HUGE magnet and you will be good.

What I would recommend demented is that you do some extensive reasearch and learn about different aspects of this and then post about things that really confuse you rather then just going with the biggest speaker out there, get something that has a good magnet size and you will not be dissapointed.

Just my opinion, nothing more, and nothing less. Hope all your findings go well.

· Registered
71 Posts
I don't see how you are planning to fit 3 subs in the back of your car anyway. Like LaVaism was saying there are a few ways to tell if a sub is going to have good low bass response. If it has a big hole on the under side and very heavy magnets and a very thick surround its going to sound like an earthquake on low frequencies. Consequently, it won't be as loud on high frequencies. Personally I prefer low frequencies but it's all up to you.

· Registered
509 Posts
demented if you want one absolute beast of a subwoofer, its called a Hard Kore 15" its 10,000 watts 5,000 RMS it cost around 800.00 the amp to push it will cost you about 600.00 - 1,000. But the new X2 subwoofers are banging. A lot of people I know that do car audio comps are switching to them. The X2 with an HK amp will keep you just under so you won't have to upgrade the alternator. Better batteries youll probably have to get but thats not bad.

· Registered
1,860 Posts

· Registered
509 Posts
Okay here is the problem. You can't buy the box first then the subwoofers. You have to have the subwoofers to know how big the box needs to be.

For instance, with an X2 subwoofer you need 3 cubic feet for a ported box with 4 inch port. 1.35 cubic feet if you want a sealed box.

You build the box around the subwoofers! That box was only 49.00, that is way to cheap! MDF board is expensive carpet is expensive and the time to build it. On average I pay about 100.00 - 200.00 for my boxes. I have them custom built.

Also remeber this, I can give a person a subwoofer that will put out enough bass to drop 145dB and drive a girl crazy but if they put it in the wrong size box it will either sound like dog poo poo or it will cause the subwoofer ti rip apart, you put a subwoofer in the wrong type ported box and it can destroy the subwoofer quick.

Take your time in making your purchase this is a expensive habbit trust me. But it can be a lot of fun.

About that 10K watt subwoofer, I actual read about it in the paper where they did a huge review on it. Thats how I found MaAudio equipment, never turned back after that. I'll post a picture of the sub so you can see how big these things are. This is what I mean when I say look at the size of the magnet.

This is the 10K sub

Michael

This is an X2

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.