Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been lurking here since November of last year and have finally decided to sign up. There isn't much to say about me except that I'm an 18-year-old female student who has been in love with the Scion tC model since September '04. I first found out about Scion in early August '04 when I went by a local Toyota dealership in Greer, South Carolina that had 12 (yes, 12) xA cars and 8 xB cars sitting on the lot. I immediately decided to save up enough money to buy an xA preferably in BCP or Phantom Grey Pearl in full to go to college back and forth with since I couldn't take my mother's Accord with me. My parents hated the xA and therefore didn't want to help me buy the car. However, they did agree to help me purchase a Phantom Grey Pearl Corolla S in full.

. . . that was until we saw the tC. One day in early September when I was leaving a restaurant I saw a stock Super White tC in the parking lot. I was in shock since I had not heard about the tC at all and Toyota/Scion of Greenville had no info about it on its website. The next day I drove myself and my parents to Toyota of Greenville once again. That was out 4th time going there in one month since we had previously been close to sealing a deal for the Corolla S. On that same day, they had received a Flint Mica tC which was just being taken off the truck once we arrived. Jose, our 24-year-old Corolla "salesman" who knew more about carpet mats than anything else Toyota-related, was in complete awe because he had never seen the car before either. The first thing my father took notice of was the color, then the price, then the gas mileage. "I like that!" he kept repeating, and my mother nodded. So after I saw the price tag, my saving started.

After that day, I slowly started seeing more tCs in the Greenville area (unfortunately). In addition to the white one I saw at the restaurant, there is another Super White owned by a 20-something who works at a restaurant not too far from my house, an Azure Pearl owned by someone who works at a photo development store a few miles from me, a Flint Mica one that I saw once in September but has never been seen again, a Silver Streak Mica that I passed by 2 weeks ago, a Super White one I passed by one day that was driven by an older man, and a Super White one that I saw at Hooters which was probably the same older man I drove by. I also saw an Indigo Ink Pearl and Silver Streak Mica in Charleston within 10 minutes of each other back in January.

There have even been a few occasions where I've "stalked" the tCs near my house. For example, one Sunday I parked next to the Super White near me for 20 minutes and stared at the color, then did it three times to the Azure Pearl at the photo store. The Super White was a bit dirty, and I had mixed reactions to Azure Pearl. Azure Pearl, my favorite color at that time, was gorgeous in the sun, but on cloudy days or in the shade it looked worse than the Sky Blue Pearl color on the Toyota Camry. To insult the color even more, my father said when he first saw the color ". . . that's blue? It looks like puke green." (He's a doctor, and he's not colorblind.) So I scratched off Azure Pearl as a color option.

Another habit of mine is to drive by Toyota of Greenville each time I know they have a new tC outside on display on Wednesday nights 30 minutes after closing which was how I came to see each color in person. I know it's probably pathetic of me, but after seeing so many pictures of each color I had to see if the pictures matched reality. For the most part, they did. A clean BSP and SW tC is very luxurious and classy, AP and BCP is eyecatching and two-tone depending upon the light, FM sparkles in the sun, IIP is an absolutely beautiful blue, and SSM looks great regardless of light. Therefore, I'm having a difficult time choosing a color. As I said before, I first preferred FM since it was the first color I saw, then AP until I noticed the lighting differences and my father's comments, then SSM until I heard about the paint problems and until my parents convinced me I'd get tired of silver after a while, BSP and SW were never an option since my mother has an additional black car that is very difficult to keep clean, then FM started to grow on me at the same time I saw BCP. I first saw BCP in person last week and really liked it since purple is my favorite color, but my mother will not stop talking about how ugly it is and I saw all the hand prints and dust around the car which looks just like the dirt on my mom's black car.

When I order my tC from Toyota of Greenville in early April, I will pay for the car in full. Instead of letting me handle all the money, my parents recently decided to let me pay for half since I really worked for it in addition to my savings bonds while they pay for the remaining balance. The rest of my saved money will go towards college funds for my first year or two. Knowing that April isn't too far away, I've tried to narrow down my option choices and color choices to make the buying process easier since our good-ol' friend Jose has no clue about the tC still. Here is what I intend on getting:

Flint Mica Auto or Black Cherry Pearl Auto
Carpet Mats
Rear Bumper Applique
Door Sill Enhancements (will probably order online)
Side Airbags (the Southeast has many Flint Micas coming in with Side Airbags)
Rear Lip Spoiler or Rear Pedestal Spoiler

And what I'm considering:
6-Disk Changer (for the long drives from college to home)
Mudgards (looked great on the BSP tC at the dealership)
New tires

And other cars I considered before the tC
Scion xA (my first love)
Mazda 3 (test drove but the salesman was a pain, I didn't need all the options, and the price was too much)
Acura RSX
Honda Accord Coupe (I currently drive my mom's '96 Accord and have had no problems with it)
Toyota Corolla S (seriously considered it, but now everyone has a Corolla)

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
I always love a quickie at work.

Welcome to the site and I'm realy glad you have chosen to buy a tC. I have the IIP and it really is a gorgeous blue but having seena ll the colors and most in person there is not one of them I don't like at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow, you're very thorough. I like both the FM and BCP although I hate the color red. I rarely see a BCP in my area but there are a lot of FM (including my own).

Personally I would not waste money on a six disc changer especially if you download/burn music on your computer. The MP3 player lets you listen to a ton of music itself.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Heh. Malina is raspberry in Russian. Cute.

And welcome, ladies! Good to see more people in the Southeast, as there are very few of us here. Arizona is cool, too

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
welcome to the site Malina.

BCP is a fine color. (no, that is not the color i have)
there are a ton of FM on the streets. I have three friends with that color (inevitablegod, wolo, lo bux racer) BCP is a nice classy color. looks better on the tC than the xA (BCP and PGP are my favorite xA colors)

you got us all excited with that "quickie" thing. then it turned out to be a big story. even better. anything worth doing is worth doing right. although, quickies are fun too.

what are you going to school for (what's you major? if any)?

I sell scion out in california and here is what I think about your accessories:

mats: yes

rear bumper app. : if you want it, get the dealer to do it. Don't accept a poorly done job.

Side Airbags: side inpact without the side srs is 4 out of 5 stars. Do it if it makes since to you

the rear lip spoiler looks better on the black cherry. the pedistal might look cool on the Flint. I have seen it on the Black and I must say I did like it. Perhaps the pedestal looks better on the darker colors.

6-disc: did you know that the stock system can play mp3 cds? perhaps 6 mp3 discs would last through a REALLY long drive.

mudgards really help keep water and mud and dirt and stuff from splashing up on your ride. helps keep things looking better longer. very important for darker colors.

tires....... don't get me started.

no matter what, do consider tint.... tint rocks. a lot.

anyway, I guess I should get back to work.

again, welcome to the site. Hope you have fun.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome to the site Sesame87. Glad your getting a tC-truly is a great car. As far as your options go both colors are nice, and I prefer the pedestal spoiler. Although, I have the 6-disc cd and it's great but I don't know that that's something I'd buy if I were to do it all over again...kinda of a waste in my opinion. Well, happy purchasing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by moriarty@Feb 21 2005, 07:42 PM
what are you going to school for (what's you major? if any)?
I'm going to USC-Columbia and am planning on double majoring in Electronic/Broadcast Journalism and Spanish Language, perhaps with a minor in Japanese Language too. I really enjoy languages. I've studied Spanish ever since I started kindergarten and started self-teaching Japanese 4 years ago, so I'm very partial to those.

As for the options. . .

1) 6-Disk CD Changer: I knew about the mp3 player but the mp3 burning feature of Nero has not been working very well recently. Plus the 6-disk changer was the option I considered the least anyway.

2) SAB: I definitely want the side airbags for the added safety. I'm a good driver, but many people in my area are not and I want to make sure myself and whoever rides with me are as safe as possible. I really like the

3) Mudgards: After seeing the mudgards a few days ago on the BSP at Toyota of Greenville, I really started to consider them. The more I think about them, the more I want them, especially since certain areas of the city are prone to flooding and it gets messy outside very quickly.

4) Tires: I found out about the tire issue back in September when I started my research on the tC. My mother recently changed the tires on her Accord that I drive and they are awesome in the ice/slush and rain. I have no idea what they are since I can't quite see the brand names on them, but they grip to the ground well and I'm used to driving them. I haven't done a test drive for the tC yet, but now I'm a little worried about how well the stock tires will work on the bad South Carolina roads until I'm able to change them.

5) Tint: I highly doubt that I'll tint anything immediately. Probably in another year or two I will.

Another little worry of mine is my height. I'm only 5'4" and after sitting in 3 different tCs that were not turned on, I didn't have much visibility over the steering wheel. Of course, Jose had no idea what I was talking about regarding seat adjustment, but I haven't had a chance to find a manual anywhere to see if the seat could actually be raised. It's a bit embarrassing since I could see perfectly fine in the Accord I currently drive, the Mazda 3, the Corolla S, etc.

. . . You can laugh at my height now, by the way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Labfish+Feb 21 2005, 11:41 PM-->QUOTE (Labfish @ Feb 21 2005, 11:41 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-malina
@Feb 21 2005, 02:51 PM
ahaha, I haven't even been here a day and you're already my favorite poster.
That's because I haven't been on yet
[/b]
Since Malina has claimed someone already as her favorite poster, I officially declare Labfish as mine because I've techically been here more than a day.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Originally posted by Sesame87@Feb 21 2005, 08:32 PM
. . . You can laugh at my height now, by the way.
Why? 5'4 is a good height
LoL...I'm only 5'7 myself. Now you can laugh at THAT.
Anyways, the height of the seat can be adjusted just fine. My sister drove mine with no problems and she's 5'4. Just pump up the seat.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Originally posted by Sesame87+Feb 21 2005, 08:45 PM-->QUOTE (Sesame87 @ Feb 21 2005, 08:45 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2005, 11:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-malina
@Feb 21 2005, 02:51 PM
ahaha, I haven't even been here a day and you're already my favorite poster.

That's because I haven't been on yet
Since Malina has claimed someone already as her favorite poster, I officially declare Labfish as mine because I've techically been here more than a day.
[/b]
YAY!! I have a fanclub. Sweet. Although I must warn you I'm in Car Beaters Anonymous.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.