Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was seriously thinking of getting either the K&N CAI or the WeaponR intake but am concerned about possible fitment issues w/ the TRD supercharger. For those w/ aftermarket intakes:

1. Do you plan to get a supercharger or turbo in the near future?

2. If yes, do you know if your intake will work w/ your FI system? Or do you just plan to take it off and scrap it later?

3. Am I being a cheapie? I just don't like the thought of spending $200+ on something that I'll only use for a couple of months.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
272 Posts
very unlikely any intake will work with the SC without some modification...which may not be too bad judging from the limit pics ive seen of the blower

damn near impossible that any intake u already have will work with a turbo, although a turbo kit will prob come with one anyway.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I paid $30 for my short ram, so I will not mind trashing it or giving it to somebody I like. Besides fitment you have a more serious thing to consider - TRD tunes their SCs with stock airbox in mind - you put an intake on there and their A/F ratio settings go to the crapper. I did this on my SC'd Matrix - put TRD intake on it and it ran great, dyno'd at extra 10hp or so and made the sweetest whining noise. 3 months later my cats burned out. $900 worth of parts to bring it back to stock and get rid of the CEL.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Mar 8 2005, 09:02 AM
I paid $30 for my short ram, so I will not mind trashing it or giving it to somebody I like. Besides fitment you have a more serious thing to consider - TRD tunes their SCs with stock airbox in mind - you put an intake on there and their A/F ratio settings go to the crapper. I did this on my SC'd Matrix - put TRD intake on it and it ran great, dyno'd at extra 10hp or so and made the sweetest whining noise. 3 months later my cats burned out. $900 worth of parts to bring it back to stock and get rid of the CEL.
I wasn't even thinking of that. Oh btw, I wanted to ask if you installed the sc in your Matrix or did you have it done? If Toyota or a different shop did it, would you mind sharing what the cost was?

Thanks.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Mar 8 2005, 09:02 AM
The only way I know to burn out cats is to consistenly run too rich. Raw fuel in a cat, or a consistently too rich mixture will literally cook a cat. There was something else at work besides your intake and supercharger.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
When did this topic change to how to cook a cat? Do they have a shortage of cows and chickens in California, Lance?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
No shortage of edible meat here in CA. You didn't know cat and dog are the secret ingredients for the best tacos you've ever eaten? You're seriously missing out there in Georgia.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Originally posted by Tchi@Mar 8 2005, 05:06 PM
If Toyota or a different shop did it, would you mind sharing what the cost was?
I did it at a dealership - after shopping around (~10 phonecalls to the service departments in the area) I got quotes ranging from $1400 to $450. Obvioulsy went to the $450 place - they even gave me a camry as a loaner.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz+Mar 8 2005, 08:05 PM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Mar 8 2005, 08:05 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Tchi
@Mar 8 2005, 05:06 PM
If Toyota or a different shop did it, would you mind sharing what the cost was?
I did it at a dealership - after shopping around (~10 phonecalls to the service departments in the area) I got quotes ranging from $1400 to $450. Obvioulsy went to the $450 place - they even gave me a camry as a loaner. [/b]
That's a good price, esp. considering that you get the warranty to boot.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
i was wondering.... what a CEL is.... i've seen people say it a few times.. but i coudl never figure out what it is/means.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Check Engine Light = CEL. Malfunction Indicator Light = MIL. They are not the same, but some people do refer to them as if they are.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Mar 8 2005, 05:52 PM
No shortage of edible meat here in CA. You didn't know cat and dog are the secret ingredients for the best tacos you've ever eaten? You're seriously missing out there in Georgia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.