Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im cruizin in my tC bumpin lil jon
Pissing off old ladies as i pass
Breakin concrete with my song
Making the young ladies gasp

When i smell a funny smell
Ive smelled this before,
as I proclaim "oh hell!"
one of my electrical components is no more!

I pull to the side get out of the beast
run to the back; pop the hatch
i see no smoke, whew, at least,
there is no fire, but wheres the match?

As I sniff along, i get to the top
that smell i so dread,
Its coming from the thing that goes BOP
The voice coil is dead!

So one of my Audiobahn's blew one of its voice coils... i have no idea why. I guess ive got to get another one before i spend 1k on new amps. Right now its workin fine off the other coil, but runnin 4 ohm load doesnt provide for the best power. hmmmm..... DAMN IT!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
That sucks man I have some audiobahns and I had one of them go bad on me too but audiobahn replaced it for free, you might give them a call.

·
Registered
453 Posts
thats why i like kicker....i have heard that audiobahn is good though...but i have a serious case of brand loyalty....oh and common sense.....
just kidding car audio lovers of anykind...we are all in search of the perfect system

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could explain to you why square isnt a good idea for a speaker, but the most famous audio guy in our area hates them with a passion.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by goldenchild@Mar 10 2005, 03:17 PM
That sucks man I have some audiobahns and I had one of them go bad on me too but audiobahn replaced it for free, you might give them a call.
Was it still under warrenty?? These are used and i never got a reciept from the original purchase... I'll go to their website and find out. Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
really??? thats crazy, i have yet to hear anyhting that sounds louder/clearer for the price..... i know by saying this im just asking to be proved wrong, but hey....as for the design...im interested...but i dotn expect u to waste ur time explaining....lol...so ill just apprecite what i have and try not to dwell on how it could be better...... i mean hey i like it right??? lol

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Soundguuy50@Mar 10 2005, 10:51 PM
really??? thats crazy, i have yet to hear anyhting that sounds louder/clearer for the price..... i know by saying this im just asking to be proved wrong, but hey....as for the design...im interested...but i dotn expect u to waste ur time explaining....lol...so ill just apprecite what i have and try not to dwell on how it could be better...... i mean hey i like it right??? lol
For real... It it kicks and you like it im not going to tell you it doesnt because its square lol. Well it looks like I'm going to get another one from circuit city *i get an employee discount from someone i know!*

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah man give audiobahn a call and I believe there is a model number and possible a serial number on the sub back and if you give it to them they should be able to tell its under warranty...cause I got one replaced but I love audiobahn sound and will from now on stick to them closely!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I hear that all the time...It broke and I have no idea why! Just read over your story and all the answers are there. Voice coils burn up because they get too hot. Voice coils get hot from excessive average power over time. And as discussed before, clipping dramatically increases average power over time. Add to clipping low crest factor music (like what you listen to) and you have a recipe for disaster. Instead of increasing power you may want to consider adding more woofers. Increasing displacement is a better way to get "loud" over excessive power or EQ (especially for an abusive listener).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
So what you are saying is that I currently got my new amp from MA Audio and it is 400 RMS X 2 @ 4 Ohms and my audiobahns are 400RMS each I am maxing them out is this ok or will it wear them out quicker?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well damn I think i know why it fizzed out. E=mc2. Nah, really, ya know how my speakers are sitting real close to the edge of the glass?

Well bout 3 weeks ago I left a bolt up there on top of the magnet and forgot it was there and when i closed the hatch= small dent in the speaker. So i think it might have chipped the magnet and threw the magnet's field off. therefore screwing up the coil's feild also.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah those are the same subs that I have right now...they hit clean and hard man I am going to go listen to them now...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by goldenchild@Mar 12 2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah those are the same subs that I have right now...they hit clean and hard man I am going to go listen to them now...
nah you have the ones with the paper cone, ive got the aluminum cone, and more power!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by JLTD@Mar 11 2005, 01:46 PM
I hear that all the time...It broke and I have no idea why! Just read over your story and all the answers are there. Voice coils burn up because they get too hot. Voice coils get hot from excessive average power over time. And as discussed before, clipping dramatically increases average power over time. Add to clipping low crest factor music (like what you listen to) and you have a recipe for disaster. Instead of increasing power you may want to consider adding more woofers. Increasing displacement is a better way to get "loud" over excessive power or EQ (especially for an abusive listener).
If I add woofers to my system, how many decibles will it gain?? or will it just feel more powerful?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.