Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new guy here, I'm in the process of sellin off my old car so I can get myself a tC
. However...

Before I actually get the tC I wanna scrape a system together for it, so I don't have to deal with the stock system for too long.

What I really need is a nice SQ sub. I want around 400-600 watts. So it'll be fairly loud but not SPL loud. I've heard alot about MA Audio and I've been looking at their stuff, and I know alot of you guys like Alpine too. So I'm open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
453 Posts
ma audio is good, and i love my kickers...but if ur looking for quality, u must consider ur choice of box.....

in the simplest way sealed will give a better quality sound while ported will be louder and require a bit less power.....so its ur choice...

nonetheless do a search, and u can answer a lot of ur own questions

btw ma audio-pm lavaism

alpine questions-pm alpman

and kicker-well i can help as well as goldenchild

all those names based on what i have read in all my previous threads

·
Registered
509 Posts
*cough ma cough audio cough* damn cold of mine won't go away.

But yeah box will make or break your system. SQ I suggest sealed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
http://www.ozaudio.com/oz/oz_prod_matrix_elite.htm

i just got myself two of these.

compared to image dynamics IDMAX, yet much cheaper.

700w RMS is past your stated range, but allows you room to expand to a higher powered amp. you can hit it with 400 now and it will sound great (very efficient), and then upgrade to like 800 later, which i'm sure it will take. these subs are amazing for SQ, when coupled with a good spec sealed enclosure.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Personally the best SQ sub i have heard is a Infinity Perfect, i used to run 6 of them. They were always clean and never distort no matter how hard you push them. Plus they will work great in a 1 cubic foot box(nice since you have no trunk)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Since you asked about SQ, I have to recommend Audiobahn's Aluminum Cone SQ subs (Alum Q I think). I'm running two 10 inchers and while they won't rattle folks out of bed at night, they play pretty loud and the SQ is nearly flawless. Based on what your looking for, and aluminum cone woofer is probably the best bet, quick, responsive, and won't easily distort. Good luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
i would have to sayt jl audio w7 in a 12 inch...
12 in the jl is good for tight quick bass such as rock music but can still hold the real de4ep down dirty bass of hip hop.

the do require a large box.. sealed is best.

couopled with an eclipse amp and a capacitor and your set!

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I just installed (2) 10" Pioneer 800w subs in a sealed box I built & sounds great. The box was built just under recommended at 1.67 cu ft. It's only the second box I've ever built & I must say that I am getting really good at this. It's easy & fun if you're good at geometry & have a good sized table saw. I also have my settings on "xA Hear" with the Bass at "0 or 1". The bass is there but not overpowering.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you could still go with a w6 or w3...
with a jl audio sub you can use half the power and have as good bass or better... but save the money on a smaller amp

·
Registered
188 Posts
From what I have personally heard in friends cars, the Aluminum or better cone speakers (Audiobahn[Aluminum] or Infinity Kappa Perfect[Used to be Aluminum, now some sort of Magnesuim alloy]) have a very dead and rigid design for good SQ. The setup that I heard was very very loud too, but that was 4 12"s in the back of an Intrepid. Lots of air movement and good distance to travel for the waves. I'd look into those and read some reviews

·
Registered
733 Posts
Unfortunately more aluminum cones sound like aluminum cans to me:( I have tried a great deal of subs over the years, never had an aluminum one I loved, a few I liked fairly well overall but pulp(paper) or plastic is my favorite for over all SQ, depending on the manf of course.

I have to put in a strong "I second that" on the Arc Audio subs. I am an OEM authorized manf of an under front passenger seat 10" sub system for the STI, WRX and other 04 and above Impreza based cars and picked the Arc sub as the right one for the job, really good excursion so a decent amount of output, excelent tonality and low end extention for great SQ and can work well on small amps like 200 watts but can take 400 or more all day long.

I sell these units with sub for $499 each on intro, 20 units on order, 10 shipped, many more waiting, $599 will be the full price once the intro is over.

I could of picked whatever I wanted that would fit and some would of been much easier as the Arc's barely do but they had the best overall specs and I have alot of experience with them;)

I have the 15" version of this sub in the back of the tC, pounded out 138.4 db for two minutes straight average on music!!!! Not bad for a SQ sub:)

I would love to make a system for under the seat of the tC with this sub but not quite enough room:( We may do something with the tire well though, looking into it.

I am selling the 15 because Arc just came out with their new 12" flatline super high end sub and switching to it because we can:) I will miss the 15 though.

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
for $250 shipped i will sell you an infinity kappa perfect 10vq, a rockford fosgate punch p4002, and an obcon sealed 1 cu ft enclosure. and the wiring if you want it. i bought this a couple months ago, had it installed in my tc ever since, and it was a great entry level SQ setup. i'm looking into bigger and better stuff now, however (got me those Oz Matrix Elites). but you can rest assured this sounds great in the tc and hits pretty hard. all for $250!!

infinity kappa perfect 10VQ is the model with the variable Q (hence VQ) for adjustment to different enclosures. i will send both inserts. it has that magnesium metal matrix ("M3D") cone, which i think is what others have referred to earlier.

the amp is a 2 channel, 400 wattsx1 at 4 ohms bridged. which happens to match the infinity's rms rating, at 4 ohms
also, the peak wattages match as well, at 1600/1600.

the enclosure is the obcon small sealed 10" box, which has amazing build quality (3/4" MDF) with a plexiglass window in the back, and a set of terminals on each side (depending on box placement). i have found that it worked best with the cone pointing towards the hatch, as anyone will confirm who has worked with hatchback bass, but this was only slightly better than having the window face the hatch, so that everyone can see your shiny magnet and spider. anyway... PM me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.