Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be looking into putting in a six speed at the same time as I do the supercharger upgraade. Any thought on any transmitions that may fit in, and where abouts you may be able to get one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
most the time when working with toyota's, no mater the size, MOST major companies use supra 6-speed's. That one IS300 that they put a GS430 in had a supra tranny dropped in it.

personally I'd like to find a 5 speed auto tranny for it, with a better gearing...although finding a tiptronic would be cool, too

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The celica tranny should be able to handle the supercharger if it's putting out 200hp, but I wouldn't trust it for much more than that. The supra tranny sounds like a good bet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not sure as to the benefit of swapping in a six speed into a tC other than bragging rights. The tC engine has enough torque and power across a wide range of rpms -- from low to high. You don't have to rev the engine to the extent you would in say a Miata, s2000, or Celica GTS for it to get up and go. These other cars have high strung engines that perform well at high rpms but slumber when you keep them low. The Celica GTS VVTi kicks in at something around 6000 rpm, nearly the redline of the tC, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, the main benefit of a six speed transmission is to keep the car in that small powerband of rpms in which the engine produces the most power. The only other pratical reason I can see for a six speed would be for the additional overdrive gear for highway driving. This high gear would let your engine rev very low for increased fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
it's VVTL-i, kicks in at 6200

The thing with 6-speed for the tC is that our 5-speed is geared like most 6-speeds, except we don't have a good cruising gear. So the *only* reason for a 6-speed would be to achieve better fuel economy on a highway - that's it. And if you do simple math as to how much would you save on gas vs. the cost of the swap / losing warranty, I'd say who the heck needs this stupid sixth gear?

If you don't believe me about gearing - do a comparison of tC's final drive with any 6-speed out there...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
^^ I agree with you on that one. Sure a 6 speed sounds more enticing and that overdrive gear would sure be nice, so I'm not up to around 4000rpm at 80mph, but I just can't see the gas mileage savings justifying the cost of buying and replacing a brand new tranny just for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ahhh i posted in the wrong area
well how bout the xts 6 speed maybe that can fit its toyota and its front wheel drive and goes on a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, I am only thinking of this in consideration with the super charger. As I thought it might be more valuble to keep it in the seperchargers Prime rpm level. But it is just a thought. All things will have to fall to gether after the super charger comes out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts