Scion tC Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I hooked the headunit up to all the speakers for now. I have the amp sitting in my closet, its a 40 rms x 4 JBL right next to all the wiring, i plan on doing the amp setup over christmas break. All the power and everything is run, i just need to run the speaker wire for it. My speakers are:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VK838zUgft7/c...10&I=500SPR17LS - - - in front
and
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VK838zUgft7/c...00&I=500SPR17LP - - - in back

As far as headunit options there are several decks that will do that, i believe any alpine series about 9857 will do it, alpman you wanna help me out with this one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
what kind of tweeters you using eddiemoney?

and in your opinion does the headunit's power to the speakers do a decent job? ive never had an external amp on regular speakers. always used the headunit's (45x4 kenwood and 50x4 pioneer head units) power for my speakers. like i think i said, i dont need enough power in my car to show off, just to be able to turn it fairly loud without much distortion if possible. probably no louder than the stock HU..

eddie

edit: http://lakesidescion.com/Sound.asp says that the scion radios have no distortion limiter in them

"One of the other things that we have done clearly illustrates our philosophy. We removed the distortion limiter on all Scion audio. Most car companies include distortion limiters on their audio systems to eliminate any unpleasant sound at maximum volume. That doesn't matter if you don't like to listen to your music loud. But, if you do, you may feel that your choices have been limited, or that you are not getting the most out of your audio system since it has been artificially limited by someone else."

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I've answered your tweeter question a couple of times
I used the alpine tweeters that come in the component kit, look at the link above.

The headunit's power sucks a$$, once you get above decent power distortion and noise take over. Amping the speakers is a good investment, i prefere the sound clean all the way to full volume. I mean worse case you get the speakers in off stock power and hate it and put an amp in the car at a later date. Try it off a new stereo, see how you like it and go from there.

As far as that bit on the distortion limiter, thats bs. When i turn the sound up and the bass goes away that means there is something limiting it so the speakers don't sound uber crappy like they should be doing. There is a limiter of sorts on it, i promise, but it may not be as much of a cut off as some other cars.

-Ed

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Did you mean CDA-9847? I don't see an alpine 9857... 9847's on sale at Best Buy right now for $190.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yea i didnt see the cda-9857 either. looking at alpines, the one with the slider bar looks pretty good. but some people say if you start the car in the heat, it doesnt work well for a few minutes. but it did say a feature was oem steering wheel control capibility. its like over 300 or so though

sorry there eddiemoney, i didnt notice the tweaters came with the component kit. i see crossovers come with it too. is the search button nazi gonna come after me if i ask what they benifit those give?

about the distortion limiter. it looks like that website showed the '05 model headunits. maybe they added the distortion limiters back, or maybe it is just bs

eddie

·
Registered
211 Posts
Originally posted by MegaGoo@Nov 1 2005, 03:21 PM
$2k? ack!

im trying to figure all of this out. the stock system doesnt sound TOO bad. i notice that the volume drops out on strong music hits, im thinking its a lack of power from the unit to the speakers. so the volume isnt consistent at high levels. but once i put my sub in the hatchbay, i can probably turn the bass down on the factory speakers. it might cost more, but just installing the sub may be all i need. if not i can go back and at least throw some better speakers in. then down the road a better head unit. does that make sense? if i had a money tree i'd just throw down whatever to have everything redone, but if i can get by with just changing out SOME of the stock equipment and save some money, that'd be the best way to go.

the headunit isnt that bad. it loads mp3s way faster than my old pioneer deh-5500mp (or something) unit which was like $250 - 300 a couple years ago.

and do i need to order the speaker mounts from alpman, or would a pro be able to install aftermarket speakers just fine?

what'd i'd really like to do is install a touch LCD screen in the double din and interface with a car pc in the trunk and use it for mp3s, gps, xm radio, tv, emulators, radio, wireless internet, etc. and it wouldnt cost that much.

eddie
I can build you a system --that computer you are talking about. I am building one now and I will get some pictures soon. I am configuring the hard drive on a desktop system and then putting it all together.

Pm me if you want advice on how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are there any adapters to make the steering wheel controls work with whatever you want? I wonder if you could use it on a media computer like the volume control on some keyboards..any one know?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Einstein there is a SWIX adapter that will make the steerting wheel controls work with remote control buttons (like if you radio has one, however i would think a media center remote would work too). If you search around on the site the SWIX has been talked about a lot.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You'll need that even with an Alpine stereo?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Not if you get above a certain series or Alpine Stereo, im not sure which ones though, you would have to ask Alpman on that one

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Thanks. BTW - my system sounds great. We tuned it nicely at the Palisades Mall meet.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts