Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There are lots of things you can do with large budgets and small displacement. Neither of those are simple bolt-on mods, those engines are highly modified and no doubt not turnkey daily drivers. I doubt either of them would last long on California 91 octane, especially with 12 psi of boost.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lance, I'm a bit of a layman, I was hoping you could elaborate on that a bit more. Is it b/c the boost is too high on the setup?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not just boost, but the stock fuel system will not support much more than stock power without major mods. Fuel injectors, rails, pressure regulators, and pumps are expensive, and for the tC nearly impossible to tweak without redesigning the whole system.

Then you have to deal with the drive-by-wire throttlebody and the rest of the engine management system. It was never designed to support boost. Even TRD is contemplating a piggyback for only 40 more hp. I made 40 more hp on my Supra for nothing but about an hour's work because all the boost stuff was there and the engine was designed to support additional boost.

Not so the tC. So, adding boost means changing everything about the way it works. That's very expensive for both the devices, and the knowledge required to make them work. This is not something a home mechanic can do, and even a mechanic with advanced skills wouldn't touch this project without a pretty hefty budget to overcome the fuel and engine management problems.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
^ Thanks, man. That definitely helps and sheds some light on the situation. Interesting to know too. Glad to have you on this board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Jan 7 2005, 08:15 AM
^ Thanks, man. That definitely helps and sheds some light on the situation. Interesting to know too. Glad to have you on this board.
i was reading this thread as im a bit of a n00b, and it has excellent info.

i hve no real comment except to say that whosthatrussian has the funniest avatar ever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
lubox, so i don't suppose i can add anything to the stock setup of the tc w/o doing major modifications? i was hoping to just add a turbo or supercharger. i dont race or anything, i just like having the ability to race to the liquor store before the commercials are over. im a daily driver. what do you suggest for someone and many people like me? i'd like more midrange and lowend power. any answer helps.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by califax@Jan 19 2005, 01:41 PM
lubox, so i don't suppose i can add anything to the stock setup of the tc w/o doing major modifications? i was hoping to just add a turbo or supercharger. i dont race or anything, i just like having the ability to race to the liquor store before the commercials are over. im a daily driver. what do you suggest for someone and many people like me? i'd like more midrange and lowend power. any answer helps.
the TRD supercharger would do you nicely, by the sound of your driving application. it is designed to work with the tC, and comes complete with everything you need. it will easily help you outrace for the spot on the freeway, or jump in front of someone when you need to. and nothing says daily driver like maintaining your factory warranty.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
When it finally shows up. I hate to be the one to pee on this, but TRD said they'd have supercharger for the V-8 Landcruisers in 1999. I still haven't seen it yet, but they sure had one on their truck at SEMA in 1999.

I also wish it were as simple as just bolting on some kind of FI and just being able to drive off. Unfortunately, it just isn't the case. We'll all have to wait and see what Toyco/TRD does with this...

·
Registered
42 Posts
new to this board and i've read this board alot

i just got one thing to say that i've noticed
lo bux racer, you are a very smart person and you do know your stuff but you are hard headed and dont know everything

trd does have a supercharger for the 4.7 V8, the I6 found in the older cruisers 1.8L 4cyl, 3.0 6cyl, 3.4L 6cyl and are planning to come out with the supercharger for the tc as you know and are seriously thinking about releasing one for the 1.6L 4cyl

and you can run 12's on regular pump gas RELIABLY

just to let you know i helped install the trd supercharger on a 2002 landcruiser when i was an apprentice at the toyota dealer i work at now

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I didn't say you can't run 12's on pump gas, I said you can't run 12 psi of boost reliably on pump gas with more than 9:1 static compression.

Glad to hear the V-8 supercharger exists on more than the SEMA Landcruiser. It still isn't listed on TRD's site, check for yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 7 2005, 03:44 AM
There are lots of things you can do with large budgets and small displacement. Neither of those are simple bolt-on mods, those engines are highly modified and no doubt not turnkey daily drivers. I doubt either of them would last long on California 91 octane, especially with 12 psi of boost.
This car is a turn key daily driver, that does run on 93 pump fuel. I have over 11,000 miles on my tC and it is still going strong! This is a simple bolt on turbo kit with no mods done to the engine whatsoever! And this is only the stage II kit!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 7 2005, 07:38 AM
Not just boost, but the stock fuel system will not support much more than stock power without major mods. Fuel injectors, rails, pressure regulators, and pumps are expensive, and for the tC nearly impossible to tweak without redesigning the whole system.

Then you have to deal with the drive-by-wire throttlebody and the rest of the engine management system. It was never designed to support boost. Even TRD is contemplating a piggyback for only 40 more hp. I made 40 more hp on my Supra for nothing but about an hour's work because all the boost stuff was there and the engine was designed to support additional boost.

Not so the tC. So, adding boost means changing everything about the way it works. That's very expensive for both the devices, and the knowledge required to make them work. This is not something a home mechanic can do, and even a mechanic with advanced skills wouldn't touch this project without a pretty hefty budget to overcome the fuel and engine management problems.
This is the stock fuel system with larger injectors and larger fuel pump, which drop in and are included in the kits! Obvioulsy not impossible to add if they are included in the kit!

There is no problems with the drive by wire system.

Obviously there are no fuel and engine management problems. If there are i can't find them!

Where do come up with this stuff??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Feb 6 2005, 07:34 AM
I didn't say you can't run 12's on pump gas, I said you can't run 12 psi of boost reliably on pump gas with more than 9:1 static compression.

Glad to hear the V-8 supercharger exists on more than the SEMA Landcruiser. It still isn't listed on TRD's site, check for yourself.
Again obviously not correct! I run 93 Octane pump fuel and 12psi every day with a static compression of 9.5:1! My car is still running extremely well and i'm a very aggressive driver!

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by jms001@Feb 6 2005, 07:43 PM
This is the stock fuel system with larger injectors and larger fuel pump, which drop in and are included in the kits! Obvioulsy not impossible to add if they are included in the kit!

Obviously there are no fuel and engine management problems. If there are i can't find them!

Then that is quite obviously not the stock fuel system... how do you know there are no engine management problems?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by Obike+Feb 6 2005, 09:09 PM-->QUOTE (Obike @ Feb 6 2005, 09:09 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jms001
@Feb 6 2005, 07:43 PM

Obviously there are no fuel and engine management problems.  If there are i can't find them!

Then that is quite obviously not the stock fuel system... how do you know there are no engine management problems? [/b]
When I say stock fuel system, I am talking lines, rail, and filters. How do I know there are no engine management problems????? I drive the car everyday, it drives flawlessly, gives very good gas mileage (for a boosted car anyways), and puts down the power w/o any hickups whatsoever, has not check engine lights, and not to mention I drive it to the track, which is about an hour away, run it, and then drive home.

I don't get you guys, what would i have to gain by telling lies???? If people buy my kit and it doesn't put out the claimed HP its gonna be all over the net! That would be bad for business and bad for my reputation! That would be stupid for me to do. I don't BS, its just not good business practice.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by jms001@Feb 6 2005, 09:42 PM
When I say stock fuel system, I am talking lines, rail, and filters.  How do I know there are no engine management problems????? I drive the car everyday, it drives flawlessly, gives very good gas mileage (for a boosted car anyways), and puts down the power w/o any hickups whatsoever, has not check engine lights, and not to mention I drive it to the track, which is about an hour away, run it, and then drive home.

I don't get you guys, what would i have to gain by telling lies????  If people buy my kit and it doesn't put out the claimed HP its gonna be all over the net!  That would be bad for business and bad for my reputation!  That would be stupid for me to do.  I don't BS, its just not good business practice.
1. Stock fuel system is pump, rail, lines, regulator, injectors. Pumps are expensive, injectors can be very expensive, regulators and rails are expensive. Lines are just a PITA to run, but fittings can be pricey if they are all AN. Filters are almost never a problem and they are cheap anyway.

2. I've been involved in some kind of racing ever since I was a kid. That's a very long time ago. I've heard LOTS of claims from LOTS of people who had something to sell. MOST of them are BS. The last time I heard something like this was when AEM came out with their Supra "plug n' play" ECM. It plugged, but it sure didn't play with their first software version. Their software was working on ONE car, and the guy came on our mailing list and said, "This piece is every bit as good as the OEM computer." Well, it just wasn't true and it's STILL not true. They have made great strides, but not without using their entire customer base as field test prototypes for new code to resolve the issues with the original code set. Understand why I am so skeptical?

3. I don't believe you are BS'ing, but I also don't believe 11,000 miles on a single car is adequate testing to say this thing will be "plug n' play" and there are no long term issues. I believe you are presenting the facts as you see them based on a single instance. I believe you are presenting the facts in the best possible light to gauge interest before making the necessary investment to go to production. I don't believe for one minute you will not have problems with other cars, I don't believe you will have 100% happy customers, and I don't believe your personal results will be typical, just as mine aren't, and I never tell a customer to expect the exact same results I get.

4. I don't work in the tuning industry, I have nothing to sell and nothing to gain from supporting or discrediting anyone. I know a lot of people who do. I also know a number of people who call me for advice about building and tuning engines. I've done a lot of it. I just don't find it to be as lucrative as computer security for making a living.

5. If you really want to show the quality of your work, get it CARB approved. There are LOTS of tCs in California, it's a big market. I'd be happy to buy your kit if it passes CA smog.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.