Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1300 miles on my car, and it has had its first oil change, and as of last night/this morning/out to lunch today, and i suspect on the way home, going from 1st -> 2nd my gear shifter DOES NOT want to go into 2nd. I've done it, but it doesn't seem pleasant. I don't want to hurt my tranny, so i've been skipping 2nd when i can and revving higher from first and going to third. I called my dealer and i have an appointment for tuesday morning.. i just wont be driving anywhere except back home tonight till then... and of course monday to and from work.

Anyone have any idea what causes this? 1st -> 2nd has always been smooth as butter. And of course I've gotten into the car, i've redlined it a few times, (that's why i bought it...
).. but my god, i couldnt have screwed up my tranny allready. 1300 miles?!

HELP!! I'd spell chk but i'm in a hurry, i need to get some work done.. thnx guys!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
That doesn't sound good... Wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it though. Sounds like something the dealer has to check.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nasty!

Good think you have an appointment already. Probably not all that bad of an idea to skip 2nd and go from 1st to 3rd when possible as long as 3rd still feels normal. Best of luck to you with the dealer!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Sep 30 2005, 05:09 PM
I have 1300 miles on my car, and it has had its first oil change, and as of last night/this morning/out to lunch today, and i suspect on the way home, going from 1st -> 2nd my gear shifter DOES NOT want to go into 2nd. I've done it, but it doesn't seem pleasant. I don't want to hurt my tranny, so i've been skipping 2nd when i can and revving higher from first and going to third. I called my dealer and i have an appointment for tuesday morning.. i just wont be driving anywhere except back home tonight till then... and of course monday to and from work.

Anyone have any idea what causes this? 1st -> 2nd has always been smooth as butter. And of course I've gotten into the car, i've redlined it a few times, (that's why i bought it...
).. but my god, i couldnt have screwed up my tranny allready. 1300 miles?!

HELP!! I'd spell chk but i'm in a hurry, i need to get some work done.. thnx guys!
what's responsible for smooth shifting between gears is called a synchronizer.. it matches the speed of the input shaft and spins up the gear to match that speed so that the gear meshes smoothly when you shift into gear..

if that is messed up (like some tC manuals have been) it requires replacement.. taking apart the transmission and repairing it.. so far people with this have just gotten the transmission replaced all together..

no you didn't mess up your transmission by revving it.. it's faulty parts from the supplier.. and you're right in forgetting going from 1st to 2nd.. there are syncronizers from 1 to 2nd.. 3rd to 4th.. (main syncros).. fifth has a syncro on it, but it's a funky set up with the other shaft it rides on..

yeah you're right to take it easy til it's fixed.. dealer should call scion on this one, they know about the problem and have already fixed it for other tC owners..

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. I had no idea others were having this problem. I'll report back tomorrow after I pick up my baby and let you all know what they tell me the problem/cure is. I hope they dont have to replace the entire transmission.... sounds like alot of work. I hope it's something small... but my lucky, probably not. sigh.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
4 hours for one guy. In fact, it's even less, because you don't need to pull the clutch or flywheel. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UNFUC|<INGBELIEVABLE.

They're ordered me a new transmission. WTF. My dad (he knows oodles about cars more than i do..) and I wanted to speak to the guy who looked at my car, and supposivly if it's under warranty, they dont even touch transmissions. they felt 2nd not wanting to go into gear, and they gave the go ahead for a brand new transmission. I swear to god if one more thing goes wrong i'm getting an sI. This is BULLSHIT.

So yeah, until the part comes in, i'm driving a 4speed (and no, not an auto).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Why are you complaining? Did they tell you to stuff it and go home? NO, they're buying you a new gearbox (which they ALWAYS do because they don't want to take the time to fix a major unit at the dealership, it isn't cost effective for the dealer or Toyota.)

There's no such thing as 100% perfect quality control. Sometimes things go wrong. Man, they are taking good care of you. I don't figure why you are pissed off.

If they said, "Oh, yeah, well, they all do that" and sent you home, I'd be pissed. If they said, oh, well, your a newbie to manual transmissions, and you screwed it up, so it's going to cost you, I'd be pissed. But they said, "it's broke, we'll fix it with a new gearbox" and ordered the part. What do you expect them to do?

Maybe I'm just having a bad week but some people have incredibly unrealistic expectations for mass produced things.

Look at it this way: you learned on the old one, now you know how to drive a manual, and you're getting a brand new gearbox with NONE of the potential damage you did while learning still inside waiting to fail on you. What could possibly be better?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K, first.. I'm sorry I came off like that, it just seems like alot of crap has happened to me with this car. Secondly, I'd just like to thank you for everything man. Even for all of the questions you've answered for other people, and I've just been happy you've contributed your knowledge to help them with their problems. You're awesome

Anyway, I know you're a car guru, so do you think that my service department can do a good job at replacing the transmission? I just don't want more stuff happening in the future as a result of a 2nd transmission. Btw, what had me so pissed off is that when i went to pick up the key, they wrote up an invoice charging me for what they did. It was nearly $100. I was flabergasted. I just stood there in shock. I asked the lady why I had to pay $100, after the tranny on my brand new tC just died. She was confused, and then did something and cleared it out, and let me go without paying anything. No kidding! This isn't my fault, and it's all under warranty!

Btw, my clutch isn't getting replaced, and that's what I've probably put the most amount of strain on! But yes, you're right. Any other wear/tear i put on the tranny will be reset, that is a good thing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah don't worry about it.. as long as one of their "master techs" install the transmission, nothing to worry about.. which is who they'll call on to put this in.. since i doubt they want you back there yelling at them

naw i know how frustrating it can be.. new car.. new parts.. but hey lo bux is right, they could've just lied and said "oh yeah that's normal".. sounds like you're dealing with a decent dealership..

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Even the legendary Getrag 233 in the Supra had bad units. Not many, but they did have their owners really upset at buying a $50k car and having synchro issues during warranty. Again, it was rare, but it happened.

AFA installing the new gearbox, you are WAY better off with a new unit than having your original gearbox disassembled on site and repaired. Few have experience with them, and while it is true once you've done one, most are pretty much the same, every unit has its idiosyncrasies. You really don't want to be first in that line, trust me.

Replacing the gearbox is a total no-brainer. Ask inevitablegod, Eric, Wolo, or Zygote55. They've all seen their own gearbox on the floor and back in the car without any major issues (well, OK, we didn't tighten the drain enough on Eric's, and I forgot to plug in the secondary O2 on Zygote's so we got a CEL, but I cleared it with my OBDII scanner and all is good now). So, anyway, it's not rocket science and should not take a master tech. Heck, have them call me and I'll give them the short cuts to save a few hours over the book procedure. (We really need to do one more with video...any volunteers?).

Remember, part of buying a Toyota is when there is a problem, they treat you right. If they're NOT doing that, then it's time to wail long and hard until the whole world knows the dealership you went to sucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I woulda loved to get that flywheel that everyone installed with Lance as a group. If I had money to spend on the car I would get that and we could video the install.

Anyone want to donate or buy one for me as a gift for having such a f'n frustrating POS life? Anyone? ... No?
Ahhhhhhh man,
it's sooooo on now!!!

Sorry I just had to get that crap out of my system...

......................... LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.