Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i think you guys read some of my post regarding my set up.

I already have the alpine HU 9853 in my tC. got it installed last week. Tomorrow im going to best buy and buy the alpine v12 mono amp mrd-605, type r 1242 d sub, q logic 1.25 cubic ft vented/sealed sub box and probably get my trunk dynamated.

Well just asking you guys before i go ahead and buy it. I dont have the components yet. It's my next step after the sub install. if u guys can suggest another sub/amp which is alot better than alpine
it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
crossfire amps are wicked. alpine would do good though. type R's are good but i like MA Audios x2's but that might be too big (1500 watts rms). id just stick with the type R. if u wanna spend alot of money a jl audio w7 would be freakin awesome but their like 600 bucks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Actual MaAudio X2's would be a big step for first time car audio person. I would recommend MaAudio XC and HK800D amp, cost about 600.00 but price can be played with

Type R's are good but compared to the MaAudio Line I don't think they can compete (I have competed against a few in a couple of car audio comps I have been to so far this year)

Name brand doesn't always mean the best, just like dynomat is a good product, but you can get the same thing under a different name for a much cheaper price.

Let me know if your intrested in MaAudio though. I have a video of my system which is all MaAudio on my site: www.lavaism.com/111/ its the only .wmv file on there. Big file so make sure your on highspeed internet, or have plenty of time to download it. j

Michael

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would suggest to stay away from the big box stores (Best Buy, Circuit City). I used to work at CC and I had them install my sub and they left a screwdriver in my engine! I told my boss and he didn't even care!! And I've seen the install jobs that BB has done and they're horrid.

Oh, and stay away from Best Buy's extended warranties. I've heard horror stories about people trying to get their defective merchandise serviced (http://www.bestbuysux.org). And their sales people are usually mindless. I go to BB when I know what I want. Those pimple-faced idiots never know what they're talking about and are just droned on selling you warranties and magazine subscriptions. Not that there aren't any smart people there. I used to go to school with a dept. lead at another CC and he was awesome. He knew his stuff and didn't push any b.s. in my face.

Ok sorry... </rant> The Alpine stuff is sweet. I have the MRD-M301 and I'm totally impressed by all of the digital controls. That's what really hooked me in. It's so flexible. And we could sit here and have flame wars all day about brands being better than others, but I would just like to say that I think you're making a wise decision, and you should feel confident with your purchase (providing you keep BB away from your car!).

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by alanthing@Jul 8 2005, 07:49 AM
I would suggest to stay away from the big box stores (Best Buy, Circuit City). I used to work at CC and I had them install my sub and they left a screwdriver in my engine! I told my boss and he didn't even care!! And I've seen the install jobs that BB has done and they're horrid.

Oh, and stay away from Best Buy's extended warranties. I've heard horror stories about people trying to get their defective merchandise serviced (http://www.bestbuysux.org). And their sales people are usually mindless. I go to BB when I know what I want. Those pimple-faced idiots never know what they're talking about and are just droned on selling you warranties and magazine subscriptions. Not that there aren't any smart people there. I used to go to school with a dept. lead at another CC and he was awesome. He knew his stuff and didn't push any b.s. in my face.

Ok sorry... </rant> The Alpine stuff is sweet. I have the MRD-M301 and I'm totally impressed by all of the digital controls. That's what really hooked me in. It's so flexible. And we could sit here and have flame wars all day about brands being better than others, but I would just like to say that I think you're making a wise decision, and you should feel confident with your purchase (providing you keep BB away from your car!).
Eh? What are you talking about? My best friend works at the BB in Auburn, and I can vouch for every single installer there. They do a VERY superb job on ALL vehicles they work on. Only once has there been anything bad that happened, and that's when my friend accidentally set off a seatbelt injector (for some reason the manufacturer decided to have it powered by the HU, so he thought it was speaker wire)... other than that no problems (best buy covered the damages on that job).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 8 2005, 04:10 AM
What are you doing letting Best Buy install anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen them hack up too many jobs before, find a reputable audio store or just learn how to do it yourself. It will pay off in the end.
totally agree w/ him man

btw, why pay retail price at BB, go to downtown LA dude, you'll save alotz

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by Obike+Jul 8 2005, 12:33 PM-->QUOTE (Obike @ Jul 8 2005, 12:33 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-alanthing
@Jul 8 2005, 07:49 AM

Eh? What are you talking about? My best friend works at the BB in Auburn, and I can vouch for every single installer there. They do a VERY superb job on ALL vehicles they work on. Only once has there been anything bad that happened, and that's when my friend accidentally set off a seatbelt injector (for some reason the manufacturer decided to have it powered by the HU, so he thought it was speaker wire)... other than that no problems (best buy covered the damages on that job). [/b]
BB sux

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Obike im not saying BB always sucks, but the majority of the installers are idiots. I have known many installers, i could do a better job when i was 14, stay away from them unless you knwo them personally. GO FIND YOURSELF AN AUDIO SHOP SON!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well, took alanthing's suggestion so yes i bought the items at BB. check the price though<<

alpine HU 9583: $221.55
alpine type r 1242D: $105
alpine mono amp MRD 605: $209.84
rockFos 4 gauge single amp kit: $37.48

i got smiles from everywhere now.

i got it installed at BB for $27, the HU and amp/sub

so i guess yeh, $600 system. type R components next with v12 4 channel amp.

ill post up some pictures/video tomorrow morning. i guess im loving my set up still<

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, I told him to go ahead and buy the stuff, not necessarily have them install it.

That's not to say that his BB shop will do a bad job. Obike, I don't doubt that the BB in Auburn does a great job. It's just been that in my experience, and especially seeing the people that work at my local BB, I will never let another big box store install anything in my car. I guess you could say BBs reputation for the other stores has damaged their image of anyone one of them doing anything right, which may not be fair.

Congrats on the purchase, phibonez. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that's all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well yes i got it installed at BB, and i had permission from the manager to watch them while they were installing it. they did a great job and a clean job installing it.

The best part is< now i know how to install the HU, sub/amp by myself.
next step > components/ v12 4channel amp by next week with dynamat on everything. It will probably cost me a good $30 on everything for the labor
and I get to watch again.

Well if you guys are wondering why I could get to watch., GM of that BB store is a good friend of my dad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.