Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2012 Scion Tc 4,000 miles on it and recently I've noticed that when the car is downshifting to 1st gear I hear a clunk coming from the transmission could this be an issue?

Also when I'm driving this has happened to me a couple times say I'm slowing down and then I have to speed up the transmission jumps as if it has trouble finding the right gear? it has done it to me a couple of times. There is no engine lights on at all but I am wondering if this happens to any one else? or if it is normal for the new Tc's??

and this has been happening since I drove the car off the lot at 81 miles.

I am taking it to get checked it's a lease so if anything messes up I'm covered :D but still I want to have my car running good.

Please let me know, Thanks.

·
College Student
1,595 Posts
clunking noise? not sure what you mean by that,..

by the jumping..
my guess is that, when the transmission is downshifting you press the accelerator at the right time to to shift up again, hence creating the "jumping." my guess is, i think you have to pay attention to the auto gear shifting of the transmission. when you make a turn for example and feel the car downshift, wait another second before pressing the gas.

idk. i had the jumping a lot with my 1st gen tC at first. but once i got a feel for the car and gears of the transmission. well now me and her just cruise with no jumps...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nothing similar. I got mine at 42 on the clock... Lets just hope it has nothing to do with some idiot test driving like...an idiot.

However, on a serious note, I never really have the jumping, or clunking. I drive very calm most of the time (that damn eco light rewards me for driving like a grandma ^_^ ). But even when i drive somewhat spiritedly, the tranny does its job flawlessly.

Talk to your stealership.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got mine with 9 miles on it and now I have 1960. I was told it'll take up to 3K-5K for the trans to "learn" your driving pattern. I do mostly city driving and I have noticed it likes to search for gears as I drive. I haven't had any clunking in mine though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! By clunking I mean like a click noise it does when I'm coming to a full stop and you hear the transmission going in to first gear and it makes that noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats exaclty what I was thinking but either way it's a lease so anything that goes bad in the car it's covered for all 2 years that I will have the car. Still it bothers me knowing that there can be a possible issue with the transmission? but then again it could just be me not letting the car do its thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has done the jump thing when slowing down as well it did it to me once. and also from a dead stop just accelerating could it be an issue?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bryan, I'd suggest you to record it. I could attempt to simulate the same conditions and compare; but in my 4k miles in, the car never did that to me, not even the gear searching. Only shifted gears above 3k (if slightly spirited driving) or as usually when normal cruising, at around 2~2.5K.

·
College Student
1,595 Posts
try to be able to recreate it and take it to dealer. its under warranty, so.. when you go there be able to SHOW them the problem as best you can

·
Registered
2 Posts
ive noticed the same thing...

ive noticed the same thing with mine (got it with 24 miles on it back in may) like someone said before, you will get used to how the gears want to change and i have delayed my reaction time to stepping on the gas after the engine down shifts, and it wont do that jerky shifting gears thing

·
Registered
1 Posts
RPM's jumping

I just got back from the dealership and they can't duplicate the problem. they say everything seems "normal"
I have a 2012 Scion tc with 5666 miles (that was the mileage when I left the dealership today, ick)
Anyway, I was driving along on the freeway at 70+ mph and had to come to a stop. I press the break (RPM's at a little over 2) AND the RPM's go to about 3.5 and slowly go down (took about 3 seconds) to go all the way down. Mind you....if I would let go of the break during this time, I would ram the car in front of me. Is this the same issue you are seeing? It scared me.....and I am fearless. Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jillbilly the engine is going to downshift when you slow down. It helps with stopping the car. If you have ever been in a manual car the driver will often downshift when hes coming to a stop just to help slow down. As far as the the person clunking from r-d try coming to a complete stop first. I've known people who stalled their auto transmission from doing that to quickly. Just listen to your car when you drive it. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the shifting of my auto-trans in my 2012 tc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dealer never did anything about the clunk when downshifting too 1st gear. I just got used too it I'm pretty sure it's normal. I'm actually at the dealer right now getting some issues fixed.
1: sometimes my fuel door does not open at the first pull of the lever
2: steering wheel column (plastic) gets loose and when I turn the steering wheel it grinds on the plastic
3: door panel rattles with music very annoying.
4: clicking noise coming from brakes when braking and turning at the same time
5: alignment has been off since I purchased the vehicle and I'm sure of this because I have to hold the steering wheel a little to the left to stay straight.

So far I've been at the dealer for 3 hours. I love my car but these little ticks suck so much it's only 5 months old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jillbilly. I think I know what you are talking About when you stop real fast the car downshifts and the Rpm will go from like let's say 2,000 to 3,000 and slowly downshift. Thats normal toyota calls it the "sporty" down shift haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car rattles from the sun roof when it's open to the passanger seat very annoying but then again you have to remind yourselves that it's not a Mercedes benz or a BMW. If you want a quality vehicle you have to pay big bucks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have a 2012 Scion Tc 4,000 miles on it and recently I've noticed that when the car is downshifting to 1st gear I hear a clunk coming from the transmission could this be an issue?

Also when I'm driving this has happened to me a couple times say I'm slowing down and then I have to speed up the transmission jumps as if it has trouble finding the right gear? it has done it to me a couple of times. There is no engine lights on at all but I am wondering if this happens to any one else? or if it is normal for the new Tc's??

and this has been happening since I drove the car off the lot at 81 miles.

I am taking it to get checked it's a lease so if anything messes up I'm covered :D but still I want to have my car running good.

Please let me know, Thanks.
I know this thread is old bud did you ever figure out the clicking noise? My 2015 does this exact same thing! When it’s downshifting into first I hear a click from the front of the car, usually only happens when I hear the engine downshifting/feel it. When I don’t feel the last downshift I don’t hear the noise. Hope you’re still active. It’s driving me nuts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts