Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I had one of the first TC's and am debating sending our kid to college in a used 2012 that we are debating purchasing. It's got 110k roughly on the car, 9k asking price from the dealer. Automatic transmission.

I obviously would try and get a better price but am curious as to what the consensus is on this year with that mileage. I am just looking to get 3-4 years out of it.

Our other choices we are looking at are a 2012 Accord and 2014 Sonata. Both with just under 100k miles.

Any insight would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the car is taken care of it will definitely last more than 3 or 4 years out of it. I currently drive a 2005 scion TC. It's currently at about 235K miles, you said it's 2012 with roughly about 110K. I don't know much about the older TC but they should last as long.

·
Registered
2007 Scion TC 2.4L automatic
28 Posts
GET THE JDM. HONDA, TOYOTA NISSAN, MAZDA!. Since the gentleman's agreement, their cars have been reliable long lasting & if the vehicle has been well taken care of problem free. Just do the wear & tear/standard maintenance.

Stay away from the Kia/Hyundai vehicles. Most beat the sh*t out of those cause that's what they're made for, throw away cars & their problematic engines that fail even during the warranty period. Kia/Hyundai stealerships will find any loopholes/faults to get out of any repairs. Be amazed what videos can do to get results.

I bought (was too late for take backs) a rebuilt/salvaged title. Wife was stupid & didn't ask about the title status of the 2007 Toyota Scion TC 2.4L with 130,000 miles. Cost me over $1,500.00 to just get it running, inside & out. My Scion is running good after 3 months of repairs from the previous owners & wanna be DIY'ers/wrenchers & selfie thumb generation.

If you have access to an really good in depth OBD2 scanner/analyzer take it with you. If you have a mechanic/car person TAKE THEM TOO !

Check for major rust anywhere on the car. If it smell like a wet nasty rag or wet ass dog pass that car.

Transmission/engine should shift without any problems. If it jerks like a roller coaster ride, sounds like it's struggling, can hear the mechanicals (sounding like a diesel), engine shakes/vibrates at each & every start up, steering wheel shakes/vibrates, pass it up.

Take the car for a drive on smooth streets/roads & at highway speeds, stop & go traffic. Sellers are conniving, lying cheating scheming deceitful dishonest when it comes to selling cars. Either you or the seller drive the car for 30min & let the vehicle get to & thru it's cycles. It will let you know what the car is doing, responding & what may be hidden under the "just washed & detailed/over use armorall" facade.

Also, take the vehicle thru a car wash. This will definitely let you know if there's any leaks that you can't see until it's too late.

If any vehicle seller denies or tells you no. Leave. Don't even proceeded any further. They're lying & want to sell the pos/money pit onto an other.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts