Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2012 Scion tC and got a pretty good deal on it, but now I know why.

I was driving home and the I could smell the clutch burning and when it was opened and replaced I couldn't believe how bad it was or even drove to begin with. I added a picture. The clutch plate was basically complete disintegrated into shreds. I had a trusted mechanic replace the clutch assembly, but not the flywheel as we couldn't get the parts at the time. Now only after driving the car 600 miles I have noticed that the clutch plate is once again burning as I have soot out my transmission ports at the bottom and can pull out small pieces of the fibrous clutch plate that have been shredded off. 2nd picture. Could this be because the flywheel might be bad or have grooves in it and I should just take it apart myself and replace the flywheel? I'm getting pretty concerned and into a hole and am not sure what I should try next before I start wasting more money. One thing I was told was to change the clutch master and slave cylinder and check the clutch forks adjustment. This being my first tC I have searched many threads, but could really use a better idea of what may be going on and what I should try to do first. I have had a hard time finding any manuals and am hoping that the transmission is not shot, as it is a manual. Any help where to start and what to do would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of replacing the master and slave cylinder, the entire clutch assembly again, new clutch fork, flywheel, gaskets, and oils to give it one last go myself before I give up. Costs are averaging about $550-600 for everything I listed. Worth it or slow down?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drove a 10-13-18 speed semi, 5 speed trucks. I don't ride the clutch or grind them gears if you were wondering lol. Out of the 600 mile trip 90%+ of the time I was riding 80mph, 6th gear cruise control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same problem right now with my 2013 Scion tC, did you replace the flywheel and slave cylinder, and did you have a Hydraulic clutch without a clutch fork? Please let me know. July, 28th 2021

1 - 3 of 3 Posts